Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
. I just got my Nassau County pistol license about 2 months ago ( after waiting for an ungodly 16 or so months) and haven't had much time to even start to shop around for what I might want as my first pistol.since work schedule takes up a great deal of my time, 3 or 4 double shifts a week is the norm for me. When I announced on the forum that I got my pistol license in hand about 8 weeks ago many of you gave me suggestions on what my first pistol should be and even volunteered for me to try your pistols out. A big thank you to every one for your generous offers and suggestions. Again my schedule just doesn't allow me very much free time to pursue it.

So today I was finally able to make it to the range with a friend and shot several .45 acp and 9mm semi automatics. I had an absolute blast!!! Pun only slightly intended! I enjoyed shooting the Sig 9mm. Glock 17,. an X D 9, a couple of 1911's in .45 and an Heckler and Koch compact .45. Enjoyed them all but I think I enjoyed the HK .45 the best. I was also able to shoot a G19 that was equipped with a heavier 12 lb police trigger....nice pistol but not so nice trigger. lol

The range officer was extremely nice to me, gave me some very good tips and was overall very helpful.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Do the 25 cent trigger job,put in a Ghost 3 lb connector and spring kit...I did it to my G23...4lb non stacking pull and a shorter reset. All for 25bucks including shipping from Brownells..

·
Uh-oh...
12,517 Posts
I've shot a handful of HK's, and they were all fine handguns. They weren't nice enough to justify the $50-$70+ each for magazines. Keep that in mind if you go the HK route.

Also, don't forget HK's motto: HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.

http://www.longislandfirearms.com/forum/topic/133327-2-failures-with-my-vp9/page__st__20#entry1646770

Being a new shooter, you may want to shoot a lot, especially in the beginning. .45ACP is going to add up fast.

Completely remove the thought of that God awful, bowling ball weight trigger on the G19. There is no reason you would have to deal with it ever again, unless you have plans of joining the NYPD.

·
Premium Member
3,555 Posts
So today I was finally able to make it to the range with a friend and shot several .45 acp and 9mm semi automatics. I had an absolute blast!!! Pun only slightly intended! I enjoyed shooting the Sig 9mm. Glock 17,. an X D 9, a couple of 1911's in .45 and an Heckler and Koch compact .45. Enjoyed them all but I think I enjoyed the HK .45 the best.
Congrats on your license once again! Sounds like you had an awesome time!

Oh, I know that collection... did he bring the little Ruger or the revolvers?

·
Registered
56 Posts
congrats on toughing out the NY CCW poop.

Do not take any experience whatsoever away from your time spent with the g19 if it had a NY2 trigger installed. That thing is so hideous is should be considered an affront to G.d.

I'm glad to hear you got a chance to take a couple blasters for a test drive. Pistol preference is much closer to something like car preference or what shoes you prefer to wear than most people realize. Its important you find a gun that works for you.

When I turned 21 and received my ccw it was a non issue, my old man shot a g23 (.40) most of my life so obvioulsy that was the gun I was supposed to buy. I got to the shop picked the pistol off the counter pointed it at the far wall and found myself staring right down onto the top of the slide. I like everything else about glocks (one of the few) but I know I will almost certainly never own one.

I also quickly developed my own opinions on the use of external safeties on handguns, and a safety vs a decocker, as well as a da/sa (double action/single action) trigger, (the first trigger pull is long and heavy, followed by a much lighter crisper but also very different feeling follow up from then on. That vs something like a striker fired weapon a la glock, or some of the other lightened and tuned DAO versions like the HK LEM or the Sig DAK trigger.

so long story long. I fell in love with Sigs. they fit my hand well, I am comfortable with the way they function, etc. etc. I also carry an HK P7M8 which many shooters will generally agreee is one of the better handgun designs for CCW carry that has ever been made.

Good luck with whatever u decide to go with, and one last piece of advice if I may. If you are ever able to finally be allowed to actually carry the gun without the range restriction removed, please remember that a good high quality holster either kydex or leather as well as a nice thick belt is imo just about as important to carrying a pistol effictively as the pistol itself.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Swing by the shop and well let you do some dry fires on a Glock with a 3 or 4 lb Zev drop in trigger. Maybe you will thing again about Glock. We also have a beautiful HK USP 45 in stock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.