Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I plan on buying a rifle or maybe a shotgun this weekend. What store do you guys recommend? I was thinking about Suffolk Shooting Supply. Also, what documents will I need to purchase?

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
LIrican25 said:
Any where they have decent prices and great customer service
You don't say where you are, but I am personally a fan of both South Shore Sportsman in Merrick, and Hunters Essentials in Albertson.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,458 Posts
vmtcmt said:
You don't say where you are, but I am personally a fan of both South Shore Sportsman in Merrick, and Hunters Essentials in Albertson.
These are, in my opinion, two of the finest shops on the island. Also, don't forget Campsite in Huntington.

Since he's mentioning Suffolk Shooting Supply, I'm going to assume he's out East. If he wants to stay out here, they're his best bet. Benson's has a nice selection but they're a little more expensive.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
jetfan1616 said:
(snip) Also, don't forget Campsite in Huntington. (snip)
:yepthat:

Bought my first handgun from them. Very knowledgeable, great service, decent prices.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
The S&W M&P 15-22 is a fun 22LR to shoot. Its a rifle on the AR platform... best of both worlds.

ANd of course the Ruger 10/22 is very popular, that may be my next rifle, and its not that expensive either.

Both good choices. I like my M&P 15-22 but still want a ruger

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin 795 (if they are doing the mail in rebate on the latter)

Anywhere you go should have the 10/22, perhaps not the marlin. I know most Dick's Sporting Goods stock both, and the 10/22 TD sometimes too.

I know you should support your LGS, but for just a .22 rifle shop around for the lowest price. 9/10 times it will be a big box store.

Head over to your LGS to pick up a brick or two of .22 ammo afterwards ;)

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
LIrican25 said:
Oh sorry guys, I live in Brentwood.
Centrally located. Personally, I recommend:

http://sssli.com/index.php
http://www.campsitesportshop.com/
http://bensonsgunshop.com/

In that order. But I also have good impressions of http://www.coliseumguns.com/ and Suffolk Shooting Supply (do they have a web site?) but I've never made a gun purchase from either.

Whatchya' gettin'?

LIrican25 said:
I want something to go to the range with.
I agree with the Col. Jeff Cooper philosophy. Everyone must own one good rifle. It doesn't have to be a great rifle. It doesn't have to be an expensive rifle. But it must be a good rifle. Semi-auto, lever action, bolt action; makes no difference. One good rifle. And you should be good at shooting it.

·
Banned
6,423 Posts
If you are new to shooting get the 10/22. It's a semi auto 22 that you can customize with just about any option under the sun. The beauty of this is that you can find out what you like and don't like in a rifle at a very reasonable price. As you learn more about shooting and your own preferences you can make more educated decisions on future firearms. Just about everyone here owns or has owned a 10/22 at some point.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have always had luck with cheasters in ronkonka. Nice ppl and descent prices good selection of new and used guns.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
gunsngolf said:
If you are new to shooting get the 10/22. It's a semi auto 22 that you can customize with just about any option under the sun. The beauty of this is that you can find out what you like and don't like in a rifle at a very reasonable price. As you learn more about shooting and your own preferences you can make more educated decisions on future firearms. Just about everyone here owns or has owned a 10/22 at some point.
Not me :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.