Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Congrats for the graduates!! specially these first female rangers

http://www.foxnews.c.../?intcmp=hplnws

The first female soldiers to complete the Army's rigorous Ranger School pinned on their black-and-gold Ranger tab at a graduation ceremony Friday, capping their history-making week and putting a spotlight on the debate over women in combat.

At a ceremony on the shore of "Victory Pond" at Fort Benning, Georgia, First Lt. Shaye Haver of Copperas Cove, Texas, and Capt. Kristen Griest of Orange, Connecticut, graduated alongside 94 male soldiers.

The women drew national attention for finishing the nine-week program designed to test young soldiers' leadership abilities as the Pentagon approaches decisions on opening all combat positions to women who meet military standards.

Griest, 26, and Haver, 25, of Copperas Cove, Texas, are the first women to wear the Army's coveted Ranger tab when they graduate alongside 94 male soldiers Friday at Fort Benning.
"They can serve by my side anytime because I know I can trust them," 2nd Lt. Erickson Krogh said. "Especially these two. I'd have no qualms about serving with them in combat."
As the Pentagon weighs a decision on allowing women to serve in combat jobs long held by men only, a Ranger School comrade offered a blunt assessment of Griest and Haver as they spoke to reporters Thursday.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
As long as the training wasn't 'watered down' for them....good for the women!

As for combat, hey....they wanted equal rights
. And as a country we supposedly believe in that....so I say have at it.
I can't attest to the validity of this report....BUT....heard a couple of male Rangers say it was....for the men it has been a 62 day course. Fail a part and you had to apply again. These ladies were given 153 days to complete all the parts. Also there is some talk about the weights they had to carry in various obstacle courses being half of what the men carried. Like I said, I can't say if all this is true. But if so, it takes something away from the capabilities of these "rangers". Like when they changed the exams for the 5 foot NYPD women cops. Just ain't like the old days. A couple of years ago I was talking to an old Green Beret. Got his tab in the early 1960's. Did a handful of tours in Viet Nam and thereabouts... He referred to HIS TRAINING AS "OLD SCHOOL". Didn't show much love for the new guys. Today's society has polluted the military and LE sadly.

Reactions: 2edgesword

·
Registered
761 Posts
There's a big difference between being a ranger school graduate and being in the regiment. But if they got through it the same way every other ranger has then I'm cool with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
They are Officers, They get the pussified version anyway.....

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
If they trained pound for pound and mile for mile with the men the OOHAH for them.
I get it, this is a major accomplishment (if above is true) but it seems a bit pointless if women are still excluded from combat assignments with special forces.
Their graduation makes me believe there is a policy change in our not too distant future.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I argue with my wife about this all the time. We are both in the military. She believes as long as the training remains the same and a woman can do it, she feels they should be allowed to do any job men do. I agree. I disagree however that they belong in every unit men are in. I believe there are certain very "tier1" type jobs (delta, seal teams) that work in very small teams and I don't think women belong. My reasoning has nothing to do with their capabilities. It has to do with men. Most men have in their DNA to protect women and children. Especially American men. If a woman on a very elite team was to go down, the men may divert from completing the mission to tend to her. She may be able to handle it or suck it up, but most men would be distracted more to care for her. If it's a guy we say "you ok? Suck it up". We don't treat women the same. Well most don't. My wife says my beliefs are outdated. Woman should be able to do anything a man can do. I can't bring myself to agree with her

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
They didn't. Don't kid yourself. This is a military whose top priority right now is how to get trannies in leadership positions.
When I was in they kept all the trannies in the MOTOR POOL.......sorry, couldn't help it....lol

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Banned
10,833 Posts
They failed some of the physical fitness training...and had extended time to complete the course so....

"Griest and Haver took four months to finish the course..."

Also: "Unlike the male graduates, however, the two women will not be able to apply to join the elite 75th Ranger Regiment."

Gee, I wonder why...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Do not believe this nonsense! They didnt pass anything at Ranger school ,I'll bet the farm on it.
Next thing you know I will have an affirmative action brain surgeon operating on my head.
Maybe its happening already?

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
They failed some of the physical fitness training...and had extended time to complete the course so....

"Griest and Haver took four months to finish the course..."

Also: "Unlike the male graduates, however, the two women will not be able to apply to join the elite 75th Ranger Regiment."

Gee, I wonder why...
Here comes the misogyny: Because once a month they have to take a week off?

·
Registered
761 Posts
So they are ranger qualified then. Good for them, being in the 75th ranger regiment and in one of the 3 battalions is a whole other story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I argue with my wife about this all the time. We are both in the military. She believes as long as the training remains the same and a woman can do it, she feels they should be allowed to do any job men do. I agree. I disagree however that they belong in every unit men are in. I believe there are certain very "tier1" type jobs (delta, seal teams) that work in very small teams and I don't think women belong. My reasoning has nothing to do with their capabilities. It has to do with men. Most men have in their DNA to protect women and children. Especially American men. If a woman on a very elite team was to go down, the men may divert from completing the mission to tend to her. She may be able to handle it or suck it up, but most men would be distracted more to care for her. If it's a guy we say "you ok? Suck it up". We don't treat women the same. Well most don't. My wife says my beliefs are outdated. Woman should be able to do anything a man can do. I can't bring myself to agree with her
Women can do pretty much anything that man can do, but that does not necessarily mean that they should. I was never in the military, so I may be wrong, or I may be a wuss, although I doubt it, but I agree with you that delta and seal teams should be a no go for women. I think that men could eventually learn to treat that one women as one of the guys, but I keep thinking about the hormonal roller coaster of PMS which makes some of us pretty crazy. And then there is a monthly cycle...seriously? How are you going to cope with that as a member of a seal team? As I said, your wife has more insight then I do, but these are just some of the things that popped into my mind.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.