Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering the recent case of the Washington Wizards (nee Bullets) player who got in trouble after an incident where he and another player supposedly pulled pistols out in the dressing room (what happened to snapping towels?) it made me think of the incidents that have happened with professional athletes and fireams in the past that were really not good for them or anyone else involved.

So I started to think. There is the same argument for a sports player to the right to defend themselves the same as anyone else, and a piece is an effective tool for that. However the responsibility issue is the thing that keeps coming around. Horse play, safety rule violations, and getting themselves into places and situations where bad things are likely to happen via poor awareness have all contributed to many problems, and I believe it is lucky that more bad things haven't happened out there. Given the Arenas incident I was thinking of, it would seem a matter of time before something worse happens out there.

That's when I came up with an idea. Somebody in the arms training community could quietly approach either the NBA, the teams at the team level, or the players, and offer training service plans, no cameras, no media, quiet. Preferably in the off seasons of various sports. Given the different sports one could rotate and have different classes in NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL off seasons etc.

This would not only help train the players who were signed up be wiser about firearms, but teach some of the responsibility which seems to be lacking in these incidents and in other problems athletes often get into, especially in the NBA where role models and self control have occassionally suffered due to rough backgrounds. A coach worried about a player or a fellow player worried about a player could quietly push them into this as an alternative to other more public actions if they were worried about them. I am not hating on them as far as potential or what they could become, just suggsting it could be very helpful to have that kind of guidance from firearms instructors in "modeling" with not just gun safety, but thinking through situations and planning out things and being observant. So it could help as much or more in other areas besides the basics of gun safety. Offer good long courses, very complete, with a regimented schedule. It could reap huge benefits for all involved.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
I think the hardest thing will be breaking the players of the bad habit of using the "Gangsta" hold and using pants as a holster.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I feel that professional athletes are privileged enough as it is. I also believe the NBA ruling that they can't carry legal firearms is in violation of their constitutional rights and they should be sued. I also believe any one of these individuals brandishing or discharging a firearm illegally should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. (Period) They play sports and contribute little to nothing to society (aside from entertainment), but get treaded as heroes. These individuals are treated better than the people that defend our freedom, educate our children and care for our elderly and sick. I think they get enough of a free ride already. That is just my $.02

-Jim

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,448 Posts
JimP said:
I feel that professional athletes are privileged enough as it is. I also believe the NBA ruling that they can't carry legal firearms is in violation of their constitutional rights and they should be sued. I also believe any one of these individuals brandishing or discharging a firearm illegally should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. (Period) They play sports and contribute little to nothing to society (aside from entertainment), but get treaded as heroes. These individuals are treated better than the people that defend our freedom, educate our children and care for our elderly and sick. I think they get enough of a free ride already. That is just my $.02

-Jim
+1.
Gary

G

·
JimP said:
IThey play sports and contribute little to nothing to society (aside from entertainment), but get treaded as heroes.-Jim
I hope I am never treaded as a hero. As it says on my Gadsden flag, "DONT TREAD ON ME.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist that one and, yes, those early flags omitted the apostrophe in "don't.")

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JimP said:

-Jim
Agreed 100 pecent, which is why I think advising them to get training is a very good idea. They could also be educated about their rights if they take training courses, which would also be a good thing.

In the Arenas case, Arenas reportedly said the police were checking whether his gun was "dirty" or not, and celebs being caught with illegally bought or even stolen guns has boggled me when many have technically clean records and plenty of cash. If we start educating these guys, which would cover safety as well as the law and the legal process of buying and carrying a firearm, the benefits across the board could be huge. Because people fromall walks of life do pay attention to their conduct, like it or not. (I always thought Charles Barkley said it best, that because he chould dunk a basketball doesn't mean he should teach kids, that's the parents' job. But still.) Arenas' gun was clean as far as I heard BTW. Imagine people with the best kind of knowledge as positive influences rather than negative ones.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The biggest problem you'd run into is that no-one being taught would take anyone teaching seriously.

Professional athletes in general, and NBA players in particular, have been raised all their lives as special, privileged, superior people. From the moment they showed a knack for throwing a ball through a hoop, they have been coached, courted, feted, praised, paid and protected.

No way a few hours is going to overcome that, even assuming you can pry their entourages, cell phones, handlers and PR flacks away from them for the session.

Not even Rambo himself would have the social throw-weight to make a dent.

·
Sharp Shooter!
350 Posts
JimP said:

-Jim
Welp, this thread is done. :) Took the words right out of my mouth. These are the same people who complain about their multi million dollar salary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts