Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all….
I have a question. Do we, in NYS, have some sort of Firearms Owner Identication Card?
if we do, I don’t know how I have been oblivious to it…. And if we don’t, I guess that’s how, lol.

I ask, because I’d never really heard of it, until I was researching applying for a NJ permit. I had seen something here and there, about a NJ FOID . I did nt stop to research what that was.
Now, I just read an article about a man in Chicago, on the CTA, who shot a would be armed robber. The man , according to the article, had a valid ccw license AND a Firearms Identification Card.

Furthermore, if you are in a state , and enjoying reprocity, from whatever combination of non res state licenses that you may have….. are you required to have a FOID ?

I am not finding anything specific on Google, as of yet. A straight google does show info for state of IL. I found a reference to a card, regarding expirations , in NJ…. Not a whole lot more,yet.

· Registered
12,456 Posts
NY’s licensing scheme is different from NY and NJ. In a Nassau and Suffolk your pistol permit is the only identification you need to carry and purchase firearms.
No FOID card is required in New York to purchase a firearm or ammunition. Only a rifle/shotgun permit is required for any resident of NYC for any firearm on their approved list. In New York, any Semi Automatic Rifle requires a license.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts