Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read carefully, then decide.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/09/texas-gun-dealer-gets-prison-sentence-selling-gun-illegal-immigrant-id-illegal/

Apparently, the defendant negotiated with illegal immigrant #1 and then illegal immigrant #2 showed his license and #1 gave #2 the money and #2 gave the money to the defendant. All of this was in clear view of the defendant. So, he knew the gun was being bought for another, illegal person. However, he didn't know that #2 was illegal. But if he knew they were playing "puff, puff, pass" then he should have stepped away from the sale. It is skirting the laws like this that give gun owners/sellers a bad name. This is also closely related to the "gun-show loophole" Bloomie and his robots cry about. Now, if the negotiations had happened over the phone and just #2 had shown up with fake ID in hand, it appears taht he would have been ok. Thoughts?

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
so if i get this
dealer at gun show sells gun to immigrant one with legal (not really but dealer did not know) drivers license and immigrant one pays for it. they do not have nics checks in Texas. then immigrant one gives to totally illegal immigrant two (thus the straw purchase) and now these fine outstanding young illegal immigrants go free while dealer goes to jail for following the rules but not being a mind reader.

sound about right for this government

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
I would say if he was aware of the straw purchase he deserves to do the time. You may not like the rules but you still gotta follow them.
I would like an explanation why there were no charges or action against the straw purchaser though. AFAIK he should be brought up on fed weapons charges.

·
Banned
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Captain Will said:
I would say if he was aware of the straw purchase he deserves to do the time. You may not like the rules but you still gotta follow them. As far as the purchaser(s) who said they were going free besides M14 bullets?
The article does say that both illegals go free and didn't get deported. Also, a straw purchase is not a big thing. But if he were aware taht the other end of the straw purchase were illegal or not allowed to own a firearm, then yes he deserves the time. A straw purchase could be me going to a gun store and buying a pistol as a Christmas gift for my dad. I am buying a gun for somebody else.

M14, what you missed was that the illegal without the fake ID was right there and HE negotiated the deal for the pistol. Then, he gave the money to the one with the fake ID and the one with the fake ID gave the money to the seller. The 3 were all right there, together. If the one without the fake ID were NOT there, then the seller could have just pled ignorance of the final recipient.

·
Banned
5,029 Posts
WITHOUT READING IT AGAIN THE DEALER SAID HE NEVER SPOKE DIRECTLY TO THE ILLEGAL WITHOUT THE LICENSE ONLY AS IN A GROUP. AND HE TOLD THE SECOND ONE TO GIVE IT BACK TO THE FIRST ONE AFTER THE SALE AND NEVER SAW THE MONEY TRANSFER. MAY BE I GOT TO READ IT AGAIN .

EITHER WAY THE TWO ILLEGALS SHOULD BE DOING TIME BEFORE DEPORTATION NOT JUST ONE

·
Registered
135 Posts
How was the middle man allowed to go free?

"In the United States, straw purchases are a felony violation of the Gun Control Act of 1968 for both the straw purchaser (who can also be charged with lying on Federal Form 4473) and the ultimate possessor. One of the questions on form 4473 is "I am the buyer of this firearm" and the purchaser must answer honestly yes or no, by checking the appropriate box in ink."

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
Guyver- yeah I edited my post as I read the article- for some reason stuff from this forum is very SLOW on my computer, Apologies to M14. And I agree with Aimfortowel, the only thing I can think of is if the feds did it in exchange for testimony against the dealer by virtue of logic that closing down a dealer selling guns illegaly is a higher priority value than booting an illegal alien.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.