Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recent at a wake standing there thinking how short life could be and started thinking about my own affairs. I'm 29 so I don't plan on dieing anytime soon but its not always up to us. Any of us could walk out of the house tomorrow and never return.
Most of my belongings would be easy but thinking about my collection of guns, well that may be more difficult. No receipts, no records, no registration, constantly fluctuating in value depending on political climate. The only thing I can really think of is an inventory list with a fair value that would be updated every now and then. I don't want whoever gets to guns to get screwed or have to research in the event that they try to sell.

So what have others here done to prepare?

·
Registered
38,620 Posts
I had to make a list of my guns with the current value when I started an insurance policy. I updated it as the policy came up for renewal every three years. Any significant changes were made as needed. In my case that could be twice a week.

I also made my wife get a pistol license so that wouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
i am 30, not married or kids, and nobody in my family cares for my firearm collection or are interested in how much it is or could be worth. My family is not interested in selling things, only trashing things, as it is too much work to store and find a buyer. i figured if i kicked the bucket tomorrow my parents would most likely call the police to take them all away.

so I just made it known that in event i kick the bucket all my firearms, ammo, and hunting gear go to my friend upstate that got me into it in the first place and let it go to his collection for him and his son to enjoy. i do not have anything worth anything anyway.

·
Banned
5,971 Posts
I have a list with make ,model , serial #s and blue book values mainly in case of theft. When I die what happens after really doesn't matter because my wife will just get rid of them. For those of you who know me it could be your lucky day. I have no sons to pass them down to but maybe grandsons someday .

·
Registered
38,620 Posts
Its funny, I was thinking the same.
My PL clerk asked me if I wanted to add all my pistols to my wife's license when it was issued. The thought of that almost made me faint. It's bad enough that I have 6 cards of pistols, but would need to have every future gun I bought added to her license also. That would ruin the game we have going. I pretend she doesn't know how many guns I buy and she pretends to not notice.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am 30, not married or kids, and nobody in my family cares for my firearm collection or are interested in how much it is or could be worth. My family is not interested in selling things, only trashing things, as it is too much work to store and find a buyer. i figured if i kicked the bucket tomorrow my parents would most likely call the police to take them all away.

so I just made it known that in event i kick the bucket all my firearms, ammo, and hunting gear go to my friend upstate that got me into it in the first place and let it go to his collection for him and his son to enjoy. i do not have anything worth anything anyway.
Very much in the same boat but my family knows if my guns and ammo were to be turned over to the gov, I would be haunting them for the rest of their lives.

As much a I like my friends they are not getting a 10,000 or whatever the value may be, gift with my passing.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Very much in the same boat but my family knows if my guns and ammo were to be turned over to the gov, I would be haunting them for the rest of their lives.

As much a I like my friends they are not getting a 10,000 or whatever the value may be, gift with my passing.
I just do not want them to be turned over to the gov. That to me would drive me nuts too. But they see no value in things except houses after they buy them. its all junk when they are done with it to them. too much work to sell or give anything away

my friend deserves it. i know he would keep some around in the family and if he sells any he will buy more guns, guns he likes anyway. met in college and if it was not for him i would not have finished undergrad and grad school, we were in the same classes together.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just do not want them to be turned over to the gov. That to me would drive me nuts too. But they see no value in things except houses after they buy them. its all junk when they are done with it to them. too much work to sell or give anything away

my friend deserves it. i know he would keep some around in the family and if he sells any he will buy more guns, guns he likes anyway. met in college and if it was not for him i would not have finished undergrad and grad school, we were in the same classes together.
I get it. My family is different when it comes to firearms and I would hope to make it as easy as possible for them to sell if that is the route they chose.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
My greatest fear is my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.
I was just at DSI again and we were just talking about the same thing. One of the sales guys there said he tells his wife exactly how much because he would be rolling in his grave if she sold them for nothing.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Two thoughts…No matter how old you are or how many guns you have, please consider bequeathing your outfit to either the CMP or the NRA. You will provide for future generations of shooters and help protect their right to the 2A.

http://odcmp.plannedgiving.org/

https://nrahq.giftlegacy.com/

Second…you might want to consider a "firearms trust". Originally intended for NFA arms, these have gained popularity for any firearm. It provides legal protection for the guns and transference without hassle. Not a recommendation but this guy has been popular writing them. Glean information from his site…

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Two thoughts…No matter how old you are or how many guns you have, please consider bequeathing your outfit to either the CMP or the NRA. You will provide for future generations of shooters and help protect their right to the 2A.

http://odcmp.plannedgiving.org/

https://nrahq.giftlegacy.com/

Second…you might want to consider a "firearms trust". Originally intended for NFA arms, these have gained popularity for any firearm. It provides legal protection for the guns and transference without hassle. Not a recommendation but this guy has been popular writing them. Glean information from his site…

https://www.guntrustlawyer.com/
My brother in FLA just setup a gun trust. Apparently the guns are the property of the trust so you don't technially own them.

As a member of the trust I may have to bequeathe my guns to the trust. Have to look into it.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
A friend of mine has it figured out for his circumstances. His two boys have called 'dibs' on the firearms they want and the rest get sold.
Hopefully, those kids won't get their hands on those things for along, long time.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
I had to make a list of my guns with the current value when I started an insurance policy. I updated it as the policy came up for renewal every three years. Any significant changes were made as needed. In my case that could be twice a week.

I also made my wife get a pistol license so that wouldn't be an issue.
I did exactly the same thing. Great minds think alike.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I had to make a list of my guns with the current value when I started an insurance policy.
When you say, "list", did you mean, "scroll"?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.