Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always asked if I could dry fire a handgun when I am investigating a new purchase at a shop. The last time the request was met with a sneer and "well I guess so". The handgun in question would have no adverse effects due to dry firing. I'm wondering how other people feel and what is general protocol. I think trigger pull, smoothness and reset position all play a role in determining a purchase especially when deciding between models.

What is your opinion as a customer? I wonder how any of the store owners that frequent the board feel?

With respect.

·
Banned
2,488 Posts
I always ask if its ok to dry fire, not my firearm and don't want to hurt it if it shouldn't be dry fired. If there is some hesitation to my request I simply hand the gun back to person helping and continue looking at other ones.

As for store etiquette - there are far more issues to worry about. These are just a few things I would like to see happen at the LGS

Workers, hand the firearm to a customer chamber open, after checking it yourself
Customers, please keep your finger off the trigger and don't f'ing muzzle me, especially before checking the chamber yourself.

If the workers and customers both made these things a point, I'd feel a lot better in the LGS

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
When I purchased my first pistol at DSI last year, they encouraged me to dry fire the ones I was looking at and told me what I should be looking to feel on each pistol. Spent an hour going over things with me.

I did stop at a LGS in Nassau a while back because of their selection (they were the only ones around that had what I wanted in stock) when passing by for work. They had a bit of an attitude the whole time so I never even got to the point where I wanted to see the pistol from them and purchased online instead.

Reactions: O1SalsaX

·
Registered
505 Posts
If you don't dry fire it, how will you know what the trigger is going to be like? I could see if a store wanted to put a snap cap in beforehand and even have you dry fire it into a "bucket of sand" or the like. However, to not allow dry firing seems to make the process of choosing something you like harder than it already is in NY.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My experience was not a criticism of a particular store and have always been handed the firearm once it's made safe. I agree there is a lot more to firearm etiquette at stores but I'm not focusing on that in my inquiry.

I always ask to dry fire prior to doing it and would not follow through if told no. I've never been told no but the last experience got me thinking. I would never be able to select a firearm having not dry fire it. Heck, I'd rather live fire prior to purchase but that's obviously not the norm. DSI's new facility night change that?

Wonder what others experience and your opinion about dry firing prior to purchase.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
My experience was not a criticism of a particular store and have always been handed the firearm once it's made safe. I agree there is a lot more to firearm etiquette at stores but I'm not focusing on that in my inquiry.

I always ask to dry fire prior to doing it and would not follow through if told no. I've never been told no but the last experience got me thinking. I would never be able to select a firearm having not dry fire it. Heck, I'd rather live fire prior to purchase but that's obviously not the norm. DSI's new facility night change that?

Wonder what others experience and your opinion about dry firing prior to purchase.
If you fire a gun prior to purchase it is no longer a new firearm and cannot be sold as such... The firearm is only fired once at the factory to ensure function.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I always ask to dry fire a firearm like yourself. Ive bought multiple handguns from DSI and they've always been amazing.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
Lots of etiquette needs to happen in a gun shop.
Sometimes it's the COB just being a COB.
Sometimes they're just busy with no time for tire kicking.
Sometimes it's my mouth that brings it all to a crashing halt.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
From what i understand the ones one should not dry fire are rim fire and pistols with a hammer firing pin

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you fire a gun prior to purchase it is no longer a new firearm and cannot be sold as such... The firearm is only fired once at the factory to ensure function.
Yes agree. I was going to add that maybe they would have "used" versions of the same gun that would be allowed for trying out at the store range. I imagine it would be easier for DSI to do this with their proprietary builds, but I don't want to speak for them by any means.

I can imagine in a set up of a store with a range, some models of firearms that the store specializes in or have a high selling rate, they would be able to create this experience. I did say imagine which also includes the Swedish Bikini Team.

·
Premium Member
3,781 Posts
From what i understand the ones one should not dry fire are rim fire and pistols with a hammer mounted firing pin. In a gun shop it is ask for permission than get a look of derision.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If I am ready to purchase or very close to making a decision, then I ask to dry fire the weapon, but if I am only browsing with no intent to buy that day or in the very near future, then I will not ask to dry fire? However, if the LGS salesperson puts something in my hand that he thinks I might be interested in, then I will ask to dry fire it, even though I will probably not buy it.

·
Banned
24,899 Posts
Gun safety doesn't go away because you're in a gun store, or some employee thinks the gun is safe because he checked it... You should be visually and physically checking every single firearm you put your mitts on... All other rules apply... There's never an instance when it's ok to muzzle me

If a store won't let you try the trigger, I suggest trying a different store

Dry firing a hammer gun? like 1911/2011? it's done all the time over here with no ill effects

1 - 20 of 76 Posts