Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Look forward to seeing these, I know some guys over at Gunboards weren't happy with theres.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Look forward to seeing these, I know some guys over at Gunboards weren't happy with theirs.
I received a VKT (non hand-select) and can tell you that the stock was beat up and the blueing was in bad shape. Maybe that's what a good-very good condition is like. <shoulder shrug>

I would take a pic, but I have already taken it apart and it's soaking in mineral spirits.

·
Premium Member
844 Posts
Yeah guys were complaining the same thing over at Gunboards.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So I pulled the trigger on a Finn M39 from Classic. This is what a hand select VKT looks like.

Well. I guess I need to figure out how to add photos. Mods please delete until then.
Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet? We want to see how your hand picked M39 looks.

I had a little time to clean my M39 the last few days - as you can see, the bluing is totally worn out. The question is should I reblu it or is that a no-no?

Attachments

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,061 Posts
Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet? We want to see how your hand picked M39 looks.

I had a little time to clean my M39 the last few days - as you can see, the bluing is totally worn out. The question is should I reblu it or is that a no-no?
When I saw this rifle last weekend, I though it looked just fine. Old guns are fun because they have character. That patina is character and a re-blue would just be a downgrade IMHO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. I figured out how to upload a photo. Here's a few pic's. The 2 targets from today at Brookhaven. 20 rounds on each at 50 yards. The 2 stage trigger is sweet. This gun is more accurate than my eyes. I am slowly coming to admit that I can't see both the iron sights and the target clearly anymore. Oh well.

Breaking it down revealed the receiver is made by Remington who did not date stamp their mosin receivers so age unknown. What is known is that it was rebuilt in 1944 by VKT. Looks like a post-war stock as well that has seen plenty of abuse.

Attachments

·
Registered
593 Posts
For a hand-select I guess you'd expect at least a nicer stock - I wonder what criteria they use. As long as you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I haven't shot mine yet, but I can tell you that my eyesight is also not what it used to be. I am thinking of getting a pair of prescription glasses just for shooting.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I also picked one up. I chose the hand-select VKT.

I was expecting mine to be a bit better also. I had my hopes high. The blueing is a bit worn. It has a Sako stock and it's a little beat up but I think that adds some character. The floorplate numbers do not match either. Rifling looks good. I will take it out shooting this weekend and see how it is. Will take pics then as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.