Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions?
My favorite is the FN SPR a1 in .308....shoots 10 shot groups the size of a quarter at 200! Being I am NOT an expert (more an enthusiast) I must conclude this rifle is all it claims to be!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Nice thread.  I'm currently between a Remington ltr or Savage Fcp with the hs stock. Because there are no real ranges around, I'm probably going to go with the ltr as I would never be able to use the Savage to it's full potential. Doing that saves a pound and a half and 4 inches.  

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do love the Savage. Did you consider dropping it into the HS yourself? I've seen the fcp in a Mcmillan a5, and it looks like a hell of a rifle. I have a friend who has taken big game with a literally untouched Savage 110 in 30-06 (from the "cheap"days") all over North America.and he swears by it. Although I know the 110 is not considered tactical, its a great rifle for the price. I can only imagine the fcp performing from a rest.
Now the Remington ltr in its trimmed and chopped condition is def an awesome rifle capable of some serious sub-moa groups.Do you intend on making any mods? I've heard many people like to add the Sako extractor to the 700s... Decisions decisions..lol
p.s. what optics do you intend on topping it with?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I had an sps tactical that I put into a B&C stock and bedded it and was getting sub .5 groups with off the shelf federal gold match. I foolishly sold the rifle, along with some other guns, after buying my first house about a year ago. Since then things have calmed down and I have been refilling the safes.

I was thinking about doing something similar to my old build but the member pricing at Sniper Central makes buying the rifle complete with hs stock cheaper then buying the parts separately. I can get either for roughly the same price. Even though both come with a bedded block hs stock, I think that the Fcp is a better overall package deal if you plan on buying it and leaving it alone, as it comes with an oversized bolt knob and detachable box mag over the ltr.

Since I am incapable of leaving anything alone, I will probably go with the ltr, especially since I like the weight and length a little better to start off with. I use these rifles for hunting as well as target and my last build was on the chubby side so I am taking that into consideration.

On a side note the McMillan stock is awesome and the price difference is marginal. But overall I think the HS stock is better out if the box because of it's aluminum bedding block which the McMillan lacks (It has no pillars and it's not even glass bedded, which while easily fixed, at that price it should be included).

No way would I do the sako extractor. The three rings on the 700 bolt prevent gas from escaping during an overpressure. To install the sako extractor you need to cut away a section of the bolt. So with risk of escaping gas during an overpressure combined with a now weakened bolt, I would not install it just to get a larger extractor, especially since the 700 is not prone to extraction issues.

As for the scope I have had some good luck with the Super sniper 10x42, and for the price I think I will get another one. If money wasn't an option I would get a Leopold Mark IV.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I have always wanted a cool rifle. I have played call of duty a lot and want to be like the main figure, a tactical super operator. Obviously, I have to start with the coolest tactical rifle I can afford. Looking at the range of $200, what would you suggest?

·
Registered
169 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
I have always wanted a cool rifle. I have played call of duty a lot and want to be like the main figure, a tactical super operator. Obviously, I have to start with the coolest tactical rifle I can afford. Looking at the range of $200, what would you suggest?
Mac11

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
I'd start with a Mosin & work on it like the Russian did! 8)

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Tonto said:
I'd start with a Mosin & work on it like the Russian did! 8)
That's 19-th century rifle! I want it cool and tactical. Red dot scope is a must for close range combat. For long distance shots I want a nice scope. Also lasor and flashlight. Also bypod. What do you think, is the bayonet still valuable in modern warfare? I haven't seen bayonets in the call of duty but plenty of knife fights, and I want one too. Overall, should fit my $300 budget. I think its double.
:)

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
I have to agree with BKLN on this one, as my several tours at the "the Field" have taught me. I too need a very special tactical rifle as my secondary (my primary is a special ops custom Glock 40 of course) for my job as an Captain of the elite Special Response Unit-Civilian Security at Roosevelt Field. We cover sector Bravo-Sierra, from Sephora all the way to Macy's. This time of year is especially active with potential Tangos, and other red-level security threats. I would like this tactical weapon to be able to handle CQB, as we often have to take out a perp in the crowd or by the food court, and a mil spec suppressor would clearly be needed, and something user-friendly that all my elite operators can handle (as we sometime deputize a Santa or two during "the season".

And yes, can we keep it under $300, as I am currently paying out of pocket for my Ninjitsu training that the Mall Tactical Operators Union requires for Level V certification.

·
Banned
17,343 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
That's 19-th century rifle! I want it cool and tactical. Red dot scope is a must for close range combat. For long distance shots I want a nice scope. Also lasor and flashlight. Also bypod. What do you think, is the bayonet still valuable in modern warfare? I haven't seen bayonets in the call of duty but plenty of knife fights, and I want one too. Overall, should fit my $300 budget. I think its double.
:)
So much fail in such a short post.

I'll make this real simple for you. Go find yourself an old Ted Williams .22. They used to sell them at Sears. By far the finest weapon ever made. Everyone from the Saint to the Carlos the Jackal used them.

Long range surpressor head shots and up close wet work. It does it all.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
OH UNCLE PAUL said:

I'll make this real simple for you. Go find yourself an old Ted Williams .22. They used to sell them at Sears. By far the finest weapon ever made. Everyone from the Saint to the Carlos the Jackal used them.

Did someone have their sarcasm detector off when reading above responses? ;)

Oh, well, back to my Ninjitsu training so the Mall Tactical Operators Union can give me my exemption for my special tactical weapon, which I will decide upon the outcome of this thread. Can't wait to use it at any Tangos hanging by the Orange Julius!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
OH UNCLE PAUL said:

The fact Illich Sanchez used that rifle is a huge turn off. Although he was a dedicated revolutionary he was an opportunists and leaned towards Trotsky views which put him into opposition with true Marxists and Leninists. I want a gun like Che Guevara had! He was the true revolutionary thinker. And I know Che wouldnt use long range suppressors, only short range suppressors.
So your post fails on so many levels!

·
Banned
17,343 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
The fact Illich Sanchez used that rifle is a huge turn off. Although he was a dedicated revolutionary he was an opportunists and leaned towards Trotsky views which put him into opposition with true Marxists and Leninists. I want a gun like Che Guevara had! He was the true revolutionary thinker. And I know Che wouldnt use long range suppressors, only short range suppressors.
So your post fails on so many levels!
And here I was thinking that you could recognize a fine ultimate tactical weapon. It shoots through schools. It can curve bullets. Only carried by Tier 1 operators.
Perhaps you don't like it cause it was named after a Red Sox player?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
OH UNCLE PAUL said:
And here I was thinking that you could recognize a fine ultimate tactical weapon. It shoots through schools. It can curve bullets. Only carried by Tier 1 operators.
Perhaps you don't like it cause it was named after a Red Sox player?
I told you I am not on operator yet, but I want to be one and I have to start with a right weapon.
Let me ask you a question. When bullet comes out of the rifle it moves by pointed down parabolic curved trajectory. If I turn the rifle 90 degree on its side will it shoot around the corner? In call of duty it does!

·
Registered
428 Posts
BKLYN_C said:
I told you I am not on operator yet, but I want to be one and I have to start with a right weapon.
Let me ask you a question. When bullet comes out of the rifle it moves by pointed down parabolic curved trajectory. If I turn the rifle 90 degree on its side will it shoot around the corner? In call of duty it does!
What's even more ironic is that this guy ^ requested that his build thread not get off topic. Really showing the new members what this forum is all about!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.