Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
After getting this lower 2 years ago I have finally been in a good position to build myself something I want... Here she is my ar pistol..

Overall length 24.5 inches
Psa 8.5 inch upper
Psa nickel bolt
Psa lpk and charging handle
Sig SB-15 stabilizing brace
Aim point pro (stolen from my other AR)
Spikes tactical special edition LIF lower

Gonna shoot it tomorrow.. If I like this build my next one will be either an ak pistol or I'll start my m14 build.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I always thought the lower has to be made as a "pistol lower" according to BATF rules. An SBR would be legal for you if registered on NFA.
An ffl is not supposed to transfer a receiver as a long gun or pistol, they are supposed to check the "other" category which includes receivers. Buying a pistol marked lower is not nessesary. While you are right about that turning a rifle into a pistol is not okay, This lower has never been turned into a rifle and has been a virgin peice of metal sitting in my safe. The lower receiver is registered as a pistol. (As of today)

I appreciate your concern though. There is a lot of debate regarding these pistols and I believe I am in full compliance with the law both federal and state.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
I'm not sure you are correct. It's not checked off as "other". Other is not used for receivers.

The instructions for the 4473 from the ATF read as follows.

Types of firearms include: pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, receiver, frame
and other firearms that are not either handguns or long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as
firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell or
National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
I'm not sure you are correct. It's not checked off as "other". Other is not used for receivers.

and other firearms that are not either handguns or long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as
Here is a 4473, note the options under "other" you cannot call a block of metal a rifle or pistol as it does not fit the definition of either.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,178 Posts

As my receiver has never been barreled as a rifle before, I am fully compliant with the ATF and NFA.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
on the next page of the 4473, question 29, under "type" the dealer will record the receiver as a receiver, NOT as "other".
Then the letter from the ATF you posted identifies that you can make a rifle or a pistol out of it, your choice, one time choice.
But on the 4473 and in the dealer's A&D book, the part is called a receiver, never as an 'other". In that case, question 29, "other" implies an NFA gun or oddly enough, something like a pistol-grip-only shotgun. Pistol grip only shotguns are "other" guns.

I'll try to insert the page below, I don't know if I got it attached on this stupid laptop I'm using. View attachment atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.