Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to transfer a pistol to my brother down in Florida. Can this be done by any FFL? All the info I find is for NY to NY transfers or if you are transferring FROM another state....

Suggestions/Recommendations?

·
Registered
527 Posts
It is my understanding that you can ship your firearm to an FFL in FL on your own, and he transfers it to your brother; pay FedEx top rate for overnight, maybe $35~$40 last time I did it, vs. FFL to FFL where they have more options on shipping, but are entitled to charge for the time it takes them to do the shipping and paperwork. Cost/convenience/peace of mind tradeoff, IMHO.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is my understanding that you can ship your firearm to an FFL in FL on your own, and he transfers it to your brother; pay FedEx top rate for overnight, maybe $35~$40 last time I did it, vs. FFL to FFL where they have more options on shipping, but are entitled to charge for the time it takes them to do the shipping and paperwork. Cost/convenience/peace of mind tradeoff, IMHO.
Huh? If you do that, how do you go to PD and have it taken off of your license? You need a receipt from an FFL to take to Nassau/Suffolk Pistol license or wherever you live, so you can get it off of your license.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,979 Posts
Handgun? I would be taking it to an FFL who is also a NYS Dealer in Firearms for shipment to FL

Reactions: Aquabach

·
Registered
527 Posts
Huh? If you do that, how do you go to PD and have it taken off of your license? You need a receipt from an FFL to take to Nassau/Suffolk Pistol license or wherever you live, so you can get it off of your license.
Unless something has changed significantly of late: I called Suffolk PLB, confirmed process (noted name of P.O. giving me the instructions) and then did this five times: get copy of destination FFL; ship firearm to FFL by FedEx; bring copy of FFL and FedEx receipt to PBL; fill out amendment form; 'poof' - pistol is removed from my license. I signed an amendment form / document saying I shipped the firearm to an FFL; if that had not been true, I'd be in big trouble. At that time, they took me at my word. Admittedly, the first time I did it the guy at the counter got 'stressed', but I referred him to the P.O. I had spoken to by name; after a brief discussion with that P.O., he came back to the counter and simply processed the amendment to remove the pistol from my license. Is this STILL the process? It's worth confirming. If the process is unchanged, it gives sellers additional choices.

·
Registered
527 Posts
This. ^^^^^

While an FFL in Florida may, (emphasis on may) take a shipment from a private individual you'd need to ask them first.
But you're in for a hassle getting it removed from your licence IMO. Why risk it?
When I did it, the FFL sent me a copy of their license; they were agreeing to accept the shipment. I don't recommend 'surprising' an FFL with a shipment. I called SC PLB, got detailed instructions (and name of person giving them), and complied with those instructions. Little hassle. I cannot confirm if the process or policy has changed since that time, but a phone call would resolve that.

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Registered
390 Posts
People make this more complicated than it needs to be.
Like another poster stated, find an FFL in FL near your brother or have him find one, and ensure that the FFL will take a shipment from an individual. He will send you a copy of his FFL. Once you have that, properly package the handgun and go to FedEx or UPS and ship overnight (required). Once the FFL has the handgun have him issue you a receipt clearly showing the make, model and serial # that he took possessionof the handgun. That is your proof for the PD.

There is no need to involve an FFL in NYS, unless you feel uncomfortable handling it yourself. The dealer will most likely charge you a fee, but can ship it standard mail which would be cheaper. Probably a wash money wise.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
UPS and Fedex will generally not accept a handgun for shipment from a non-FFL. It it ILLEGAL to ship a handgun with the USPS unless you are an FFL. It is illegal to tender a handgun to a non carrier (Staples, privately owned UPS store) in NY as they are not an FFL nor the shipper.

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
Unless something has changed significantly of late: I called Suffolk PLB, confirmed process (noted name of P.O. giving me the instructions) and then did this five times: get copy of destination FFL; ship firearm to FFL by FedEx; bring copy of FFL and FedEx receipt to PBL; fill out amendment form; 'poof' - pistol is removed from my license. I signed an amendment form / document saying I shipped the firearm to an FFL; if that had not been true, I'd be in big trouble. At that time, they took me at my word. Admittedly, the first time I did it the guy at the counter got 'stressed', but I referred him to the P.O. I had spoken to by name; after a brief discussion with that P.O., he came back to the counter and simply processed the amendment to remove the pistol from my license. Is this STILL the process? It's worth confirming. If the process is unchanged, it gives sellers additional choices.
SCPD changes it's policy all the time so it would have to be checked before doing it.
How long ago did you do it btw?
I think it's just so much easier for 1 gun to do FFL to FFL and not worry about chasing everything down. But if the OP wants to try it he should most definitely do what you did.
Speak to someone at Yaphank and write down their name if they say it's okay to do that.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
UPS and Fedex will generally not accept a handgun for shipment from a non-FFL. It it ILLEGAL to ship a handgun with the USPS unless you are an FFL. It is illegal to tender a handgun to a non carrier (Staples, privately owned UPS store) in NY as they are not an FFL nor the shipper.
I've sent several guns to manufacturers for repairs/service/upgrade. Never used an FFL. They also returned via common carrier to my home, no FFL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.