Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Good fences make good neighbors right? WRONG!

Here's my situation:

On my left side of the property, There's a long strip of grass which goes from the sidewalk to the back of my property.
Only is a slither of property that belongs to my neighbor (lets call him Neighbor B ). There was an 'imaginary' line for the property line, so his family, kids and all decide to walk all over my property and such to get to their pool. Meanwhile there's another way around to the pool. I can't have this liability on my hands in case something happens on my property. So therefore I put up a fence. 100 feet from the back to the front and it looks nice.

On my right side of the property, there was a small patch of grass and to make things look even, I put up a 20 foot long fence only 4 feet in height. This Neighbor (lets call him neighbor A) was a good friend of mine. When I put up the fence, he got pissed off and told me (not looking at me) 'you did it cause of the f*ckin kids, it looks like s*it, wait till you have f*ckin kids. Then stormed off into his house.

So the town comes cause either guy drops the dime on me cause I didn't have a permit. Ok, I admit, MY FAULT. I got the permit and all is well with the town.

Now the " ignore the neighbor game begins". Neighbor A, his wife and 8yr old kid do not even talk to us anymore, and they don't even look our way. Neighbor B...same thing.

Whatever but I'm pissed off at the fact that they dimed on me with the fence. Not sure who did but I think the A neighbor dimed on me. Now he has a few things that are illegal (commercial truck in his driveway overnight, illegal inground pool, fence)...should I call on him with these violations or keep them in the back of my back pocket?

Situation doesn't feel good at home. When I get home, all the kids stop talking and look at me. LOL. Me and my wife are over it but its not comfortable at home anymore. We just moved in recently after we got married but I had this house for almost 5 years after my grandmother died.

Sometimes I wished I never put up that fence, but then again,I can't have a liability on my property.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,528 Posts
How would you feel if one of the kids got hurt, on your land & they sued?

Your neighbors were never good neighbors...I'd keep saying "Hello" to them & always being friendly.

When you had the fence put up, did you get your property surveyed first?

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Good fences make good neighbors right? WRONG!

Here's my situation:

On my left side of the property, There's a long strip of grass which goes from the sidewalk to the back of my property.
Only is a slither of property that belongs to my neighbor (lets call him Neighbor
. There was an 'imaginary' line for the property line, so his family, kids and all decide to walk all over my property and such to get to their pool. Meanwhile there's another way around to the pool. I can't have this liability on my hands in case something happens on my property. So therefore I put up a fence. 100 feet from the back to the front and it looks nice.

On my right side of the property, there was a small patch of grass and to make things look even, I put up a 20 foot long fence only 4 feet in height. This Neighbor (lets call him neighbor A) was a good friend of mine. When I put up the fence, he got pissed off and told me (not looking at me) 'you did it cause of the f*ckin kids, it looks like s*it, wait till you have f*ckin kids. Then stormed off into his house.

So the town comes cause either guy drops the dime on me cause I didn't have a permit. Ok, I admit, MY FAULT. I got the permit and all is well with the town.

Now the " ignore the neighbor game begins". Neighbor A, his wife and 8yr old kid do not even talk to us anymore, and they don't even look our way. Neighbor B...same thing.

Whatever but I'm pissed off at the fact that they dimed on me with the fence. Not sure who did but I think the A neighbor dimed on me. Now he has a few things that are illegal (commercial truck in his driveway overnight, illegal inground pool, fence)...should I call on him with these violations or keep them in the back of my back pocket?

Situation doesn't feel good at home. When I get home, all the kids stop talking and look at me. LOL. Me and my wife are over it but its not comfortable at home anymore. We just moved in recently after we got married but I had this house for almost 5 years after my grandmother died.

Sometimes I wished I never put up that fence, but then again,I can't have a liability on my property.
Don't get mad, get even

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
You have to take care of you, no one else is going to look out for your interests; no one is else is going to pay your insurance, no one else is going to pay your bills. I put up a fence too but I did tell my neighbors first as a courtesy, I wanted to keep the deer out and the kid/dog in. You did nothing wrong, you just have crappy neighbors.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
Your property, your right to do as you please, within the scope of the law and town code. If the neighbors don't want to discuss the situation like adults eff them. I wouldn't start a war with them though. You never know how low they will stoop. That's a problem when you have guns, especially if they know.

Just wave to them and curse them under your breath!

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Did you talk to the neighbors before you put up the fence?
If you talked to them, and they chose to ignore you request regarding trespassing, then they can pout all they want.

As for calling town on your neighbors, it is up to you, but I would take the high road.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Did you talk to the neighbors before you put up the fence?
If you talked to them, and they chose to ignore you request regarding trespassing, then they can pout all they want.

As for calling town on your neighbors, it is up to you, but I would take the high road.
I don't know why someone would have the need to talk to their neighbors before doing home improvements. I didn't consult my neighbors before I changed my roof or siding, nor when I replaced my fence.

OP is completely within his rights to do what he wants. If the neighbors don't like it, tough cookies.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to take care of you, no one else is going to look out for your interests; no one is else is going to pay your insurance, no one else is going to pay your bills. I put up a fence too but I did tell my neighbors first as a courtesy, I wanted to keep the deer out and the kid/dog in. You did nothing wrong, you just have crappy neighbors.
I did mention to them that I wanted to put up a fence..they said ...'SO put up a fence, do what you want"...and this is the end result..SMH

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know why someone would have the need to talk to their neighbors before doing home improvements. I didn't consult my neighbors before I changed my roof or siding, nor when I replaced my fence.

OP is completely within his rights to do what he wants. If the neighbors don't like it, tough cookies.
Yes, Its true. My house, my mortgage, and I pay my own. He doesn't. So i do what I want.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait a minute. You put up a fence and now they have to get to the illegal pool from there own property. First of all how close is the pool to your property line and second the pool or yard should have allready had a fence around it with a self locking gate
I put up a fence.

They took an above ground pool, dug a hole the size of china and put the pool in there, and filled it back in. No permit, no variance, etc. He has a fence that he put up years ago, no permit. The pool is 1 foot from the fence, and the back fence. There is no locking gate, his gate is 3 feet high and illegal as well.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
Yes, Its true. My house, my mortgage, and I pay my own. He doesn't. So i do what I want.
Fantastic! They also have a right not to talk to you. Why is it bothering you then?
All I asked is if they were ignoring you request to stop tresspasing before you put up a fence. That's all.

Reactions: Blade21

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fantastic! They also have a right not to talk to you. Why is it bothering you then?
All I asked is if they were ignoring you request to stop tresspasing before you put up a fence. That's all.
Just that we were good friends. I fixed his computer all the time, my dad helped him out with a few things..now he ignores us.

Its like a lost friend. I'm getting over it but I'm thinking of calling the town on his illegal inground pool..in January...when he has to drain a frozen pool. But he will know its me

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I put up a fence.

They took an above ground pool, dug a hole the size of china and put the pool in there, and filled it back in. No permit, no variance, etc. He has a fence that he put up years ago, no permit. The pool is 1 foot from the fence, and the back fence. There is no locking gate, his gate is 3 feet high and illegal as well.
That reminds me of my old neighbor who has since passed away.

When I was having my 6' vinyl privacy fence put up she says: "According to the town I have to also have a fence around my pool even though you are putting this fence between our properties. Do you want to go half on it?"

I tilted my head in confusion akin to a dog when you make a high pitched noise and said "I'm having this fence installed and as you can imagine, I don't have the money to pay for your fence as well".

She said "Oh, yea I guess not"

Moral of the story is, people are nuts. What common sense you take for granted many people do not have. I wouldn't worry about pleasing anyone but yourself because there is no way to please anyone. Throw in a little crazy and something you do down the line will piss them off.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
Just that we were good friends. I fixed his computer all the time, my dad helped him out with a few things..now he ignores us.

Its like a lost friend. I'm getting over it but I'm thinking of calling the town on his illegal inground pool..in January...when he has to drain a frozen pool. But he will know its me
There in lies the rub! You will stoop to his level and he will stoop lower. When do you think it will stop? When they take your guns or when you all end up on Dateline?

My neighbors piss me off to no end. I just ignore them or complain a lot to my sympathetic wife. Otherwise, I will start a war that knows no bounds... not good.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.