Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
There's plenty of active/former military here, as well many who are students of military history and firearms. I was wondering what are people's 'favorites'. You can add "why" and maybe a photo, especially if you have experience with that firearm (Call Of Duty is not experience,
). Anyone can answer, you don't have to be active/former military or have experience with them.

What is your favorite military...

- Machine Gun (GPMG) [Maxim, Browning 1919, MG 34/42, M60, 240, PK, etc.]
- Battle Rifle ['03, M14, FAL, G3, Garand etc.] (full-power cartridge)
- Assault Rifle [Stg/MP 43/44, M16, AK47/74, AUG, G36, etc.] (select-fire, intermediate cartridge)
- Submachine Gun [Thompson, M3 Grease Gun, MP5, Uzi, etc.] (select-fire, pistol cartridge)
- Personal Defense Weapon (MP5K, HK MP7, etc.)
- Handgun (Colt 1911, M9, CZ, etc.)

Any era, any country of origin, just has to be an issue weapon.

·
Banned
3,887 Posts
For me it's always been anything "Sub" I guess growing up watching WW2 movies had something to do with that . I love the rifles too but the "Sub" will always be #1 with me ... I never fired any select/full auto - but know I would enjoy it !

Reactions: Genghis Khan

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
There's plenty of active/former military here, as well many who are students of military history and firearms. I was wondering what are people's 'favorites'. You can add "why" and maybe a photo, especially if you have experience with that firearm (Call Of Duty is not experience,
). Anyone can answer, you don't have to be active/former military or have experience with them.

What is your favorite military...

- Machine Gun (GPMG) [Maxim, Browning 1919, MG 34/42, M60, 240, PK, etc.]
- Battle Rifle ['03, M14, FAL, G3, Garand etc.] (full-power cartridge)
- Assault Rifle [Stg/MP 43/44, M16, AK47/74, AUG, G36, etc.] (select-fire, intermediate cartridge)
- Submachine Gun [Thompson, M3 Grease Gun, MP5, Uzi, etc.] (select-fire, pistol cartridge)
- Personal Defense Weapon (MP5K, HK MP7, etc.)
- Handgun (Colt 1911, M9, CZ, etc.)

Any era, any country of origin, just has to be an issue weapon.
- Machine Gun (GPMG) [Maxim, Browning 1919, MG 34/42, M60, 240, PK, etc.]. M60E3. I love the way the hog was updated.
- Battle Rifle ['03, M14, FAL, G3, Garand etc.] (full-power cartridge). M1 Garand. General Patton said it best.
- Assault Rifle [Stg/MP 43/44, M16, AK47/74, AUG, G36, etc.] (select-fire, intermediate cartridge) g36. Extremely shootable.
- Submachine Gun [Thompson, M3 Grease Gun, MP5, Uzi, etc.] (select-fire, pistol cartridge) this is a tough one for me as I love them all, but I would have to say the Uzi.
- Personal Defense Weapon (MP5K, HK MP7, etc.) MP5K. I love the combo with the operational briefcase.
- Handgun (Colt 1911, M9, CZ, etc.) Another tough one. The 1911 talks and everyone listens.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts
- Machine Gun (GPMG): M1919A4- I'd say M2HB, but it says GPMG
- Battle Rifle M14
- Assault Rifle Galil 5.56
- Submachine Gun S&W M76 / Swedish K,
- Personal Defense Weapon Ithaca 37, 12 ga.
- Handgun 1911A1

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
Lets see,
1) M14
2) M1 Garand
3) Grease gun
4) German Sturmgewehr 44 first true assult rifle
5) Uzi

That would be my top 5_____________________________________________________________________________________________

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
- Machine Gun (GPMG): M1919A4- I'd say M2HB, but it says GPMG
- Battle Rifle M14
- Assault Rifle Galil 5.56
- Submachine Gun S&W M76 / Swedish K,
- Personal Defense Weapon Ithaca 37, 12 ga.
- Handgun 1911A1
This is why I posted this. I'm very interested is the less-obvious choices. (Great choices, by the way)

Reactions: NRATC53

·
Member of the secret Canadian Mafia
5,770 Posts
I added some sub categories...

- Machine Gun (GPMG): Bren gun
- Battle Rifle
- Enfield for bolt
- FN FAL for semi
- Assault Rifle: Galil but intrigued by the Tavor
- Submachine Gun: PPSH41
- Personal Defense Weapon: Mossberg 930 tactical
- Handgun:
- Semi: CZ SP-01
- Revolver: .455 Webley

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts
This is why I posted this. I'm very interested is the less-obvious choices. (Great choices, by the way)
Thanks, have used all for their stated purpose- must have worked, I'm still here

Reactions: Dan 0351

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I bought a semi-auto M3A1 Grease Gun a few years back. 16" barrel looks stupid, but it came with a standard length 8" dummy barrel.

At the time the only thing I knew about it was it was in lots of WWII movies. So, I did a little research on it and I found that many people who were issued/used it didn't have much good to say about it.

·
Unappreciated while still alive
3,801 Posts
I bought a semi-auto M3A1 Grease Gun a few years back. 16" barrel looks stupid, but it comes with a standard length 8" dummy barrel.

At the time the only thing I knew about it was it was in lots of WWII movies. So, I did a little research on it and I found that many people who were issued/used it didn't have much good to say about it.
I fired 2 different M3 SMGs. One was as issued and the other was one of the original suppressed versions. Very slow cyclic rate and fun to shoot. The suppressed version was very cool. The higher cyclic rate of the Thompson makes it a little more fun.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I fired 2 different M3 SMGs. One was as issued and the other was one of the original suppressed versions. Very slow cyclic rate and fun to shoot. The suppressed version was very cool. The higher cyclic rate of the Thompson makes it a little more fun.
I've fired a decent amount of subguns (I'm a certified subgun instructor) and several types suppressed - but never a real F/A Grease Gun. THAT would be a treat.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,976 Posts
I've fired a decent amount of subguns (I'm a certified subgun instructor) and several types suppressed - but never a real F/A Grease Gun. THAT would be a treat.
Fired the Grease gun in F/A, not bad! Fired the Swedish K/S&W M76 F/A with and without Suppressor, like it better...better than an Uzi too

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I had a Swedish K (actually a Port Said, but same thing) and also a S&W 76 in the past. Both are excellent guns and on the K gun the 72 round coffin mags are a blast to shoot.

However I find the ROF doesn't lend itself to a natural reset of the shooting position after each shot. The MP5 and M3A1 both have different rates of fire but the interval of is such that the gun drops right into perfect position for the next shot. It's geometry specific to the shooter but a lot of folks report the same effect.

I can keep 30 rounds in a plate size target with either of those but not with any of the other ones we've mentioned (including the MP5K). The only other gun I've run across that does that is the British Sterling, with which at least one of my co-shooters can achieve some extraordinary results.

From an old thread, here is a typical shooting day in a free state.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Certainly not the most interesting list but my favorites are all US Mil weapons. Here they are....

MG- Ma Duece, US issue. I fired it only once in the Indian Ocean aboard ship at a floating oil drum about a 1/4 mile away. No surprise its been in our arsenal for so long, from arming Mustangs blasting ME109s out of the air over Berlin to PBR boats of the black water Navy in the Rung Sat and still rocking and rolling the enemy today. If I hit the lottery, I will own a Ma. until then just a memory.

Battle rifle- M14. First rifle I qualified with in the Navy and loved it since. Been with us for decades and still used by troops overseas when they need accurate fire at long ranges. Not long ago I bought a new M1A. I feels so good in hand and glad I finally got one after a long wait.

Assault- M16. Second type rifle qualed with. The ones we used were old first gen M16s from the Vietnam era, they were beat up but still shot straight and I shot Expert with the battered, beat up poodle shooter. About 25 years ago I bought my Colt A2 HBAR and a couple years ago a S&W MP15 carbine(representing the newer flat top Mil carbines of todays Military).
Had both of them and the M1A at Calverton today. A great day to be out there with my civilian versions of the the best damn Military in the worlds hardware.

Sub- MAC10. I know it was issed to SEALs in the Vietnam era. Dont have one but fired one 20 years ago. A compact handful of all out, balls to wall R&R.

Self Defense-Sig 228. Issued to air crews and SF, including SEALs. I bought mine about 20 years ago and resides in the safe most of the time.

Pistol-1911. Qualed with one and love them. Havent gotten one yet but #1 on my to buy list. Thinking Wilson 5" CQB.

Special mention which Dan will appreciate, Stoner 63. Favorite of Navy SEAL "Devils with green faces" who owned the night in the Delta.

Shotgun- 870. SG for the fleet when I served. Had mine for decades now.

·
Premium Member
7,783 Posts
Ooops, I forgot:

Squad Automatic Weapons (BAR, RPK, RPD, M249, etc.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.