Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I were planning a trip to the gun store to look at safes, maybe a new 12 gauge shotgun and a new pistol. The thing is we have a 7 month old daughter. Would it look bad if I had her with me in my chest carrier while I'm checking out new firearms?

Please advise, I'd hate to get in trouble and lose my license for taking my child into a gun shop, thanks!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I don't know if you can legally get into trouble, but I'd say leave the child home. I've been in he same situation. I have to watch my daughter and wanted to go to the store. I leave her home. But if it's a store like Dicks, different story.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
My wife and I were planning a trip to the gun store to look at safes, maybe a new 12 gauge shotgun and a new pistol. The thing is we have a 7 month old daughter. Would it look bad if I had her with me in my chest carrier while I'm checking out new firearms?

Please advise, I'd hate to get in trouble and lose my license for taking my child into a gun shop, thanks!
More likely the gun shop would lose its license if it let your baby get near a handgun.

I would not hand a gun to a person holding a baby, in or out of my store.

That said, we welcome babies in our gun store. We pray that the parents will have the good sense to step outside for a moment if the baby decides to start screaming, since we have a very small space.

My kids are already grown men, so I rather enjoy having (quiet) babies around. Very soothing.

Reactions: Destro and killian

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I don't know if you can legally get into trouble, but I'd say leave the child home. I've been in he same situation. I have to watch my daughter and wanted to go to the store. I leave her home. But if it's a store like Dicks, different story.
More likely the gun shop would lose its license if it let your baby get near a handgun.

I would not hand a gun to a person holding a baby, in or out of my store.

That said, we welcome babies in our gun store. We pray that the parents will have the good sense to step outside for a moment if the baby decides to start screaming, since we have a very small space.

My kids are already grown men, so I rather enjoy having (quiet) babies around. Very soothing.
Thanks for your sincere responses! At least today I have been educated on proper etiquette for gun store visits with a child

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I had brought my 8 years old to a gun store and the gun store owner/staff didnt say anything and I've seen a dad and his son shopping 10/22, I wasn't aware if there's a law or rule that can't bring kids into gun store. Isnt it the same thing when you bring young kids looking at guns at dicks?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would be worried that the baby gets hurt in the store. We have all seen how quickly babies move and just how fast they can get in trouble.

·
SASI Firearms Chairman, LISAPA Training Committee
6,404 Posts
I had brought my 8 years old to a gun store and the gun store owner/staff didnt say anything and I've seen a dad and his son shopping 10/22, I wasn't aware if there's a law or rule that can't bring kids into gun store. Isnt it the same thing when you bring young kids looking at guns at dicks?
There aren't any laws which say you can't bring a child into a gun store. It all depends on the store's policy but I've seen many instances of men and women toting infants, in gun stores.

Gary

·
Older Budweiser
2,222 Posts
It's not illegal to bring your family into a gun store. If you don't want to do it for etiquette's sake that's one thing, but to not do it because you're worried about what some liberal will think as others have stated here is lunacy. Thinking like that means the antis have already won. NO ONE is going to make me stop doing something that is legal and which i have a right to do.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
It's not illegal to bring your family into a gun store. If you don't want to do it for etiquette's sake that's one thing, but to not do it because you're worried about what some liberal will think as others have stated here is lunacy. Thinking like that means the antis have already won. NO ONE is going to make me stop doing something that is legal and which i have a right to do.
I was thinking the same thing. If you think the baby might get in the way or seen as somehow disruptive by the store owner, fine. But, we shouldn't let the bigotry of anti-gun lunatics rule our lives.

·
Premium Member
7,092 Posts
I would be worried that the baby gets hurt in the store. We have all seen how quickly babies move and just how fast they can get in trouble.
It is all about supervision. I don't see a gun store as any more dangerous than most other stores. I think a baby or young child would be in far more danger in Home Depot than in a typical LGS. There is a lot more dangerous stuff, out in the open, in a hardware/home improvement store and there are forklifts being driven around and such.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
It is all about supervision. I don't see a gun store as any more dangerous than most other stores. I think a baby or young child would be in far more danger in Home Depot than in a typical LGS. There is a lot more dangerous stuff, out in the open, in a hardware/home improvement store and there are forklifts being driven around and such.
I would be more concerned with a toddler than an infant, but agree with this completely.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Bring the baby. Guns are a part of life. I have purchased a gun while my holding my infant, and I would take my business elsewhere if the clerk told me I couldn't.

No gun should be loaded while it is being purchased, and no one should be muzzling me (or my baby) while I'm buying it. I didn't fondle the gun while holding her, but I certainly touched it.

I tend to think MANY people have carried guns and babies at the same time. I bet many of those guns were loaded.

FYI I have also held my baby while touching or shopping for a car, a saw, an axe, knives, bats, chemicals, cleaners, and many other things that could be dangerous. In all cases, I practiced safe behavior.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Any one complains, tell them to pound sand.

Children need to learn early that what you're buying are tools.

Show everything you handle to your baby and buy the one that makes her/him giggle the most :)

Reactions: Yaphank Kid

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True, my 7 month old cant walk yet, and I could always hand her off to my wife if I wanted to check out a gun in the store.

Who knows, maybe the baby could help me decide what to get next.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts