·
Still working on a screen name
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Families can sleep on Intrepid in Manhattan

Updated August 5, 2015 8:27 AM
By Beth Whitehouse [email protected]

0 Reprints -

Families can sleep aboard the Intrepid in Manhattan during Operation Slumber. Photo Credit: Intrepid/ Lindsay Silverman

Families can spend a night aboard the Intrepid in Manhattan during the last remaining Operation Slumber experience this summer that will cater exclusively to families on Aug. 8.

Families will experience life aboard an aircraft carrier at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum, located at Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue).

Family Operation Slumber includes a visit inside the Space Shuttle Pavilion, a flashlight tour of the flight deck, a ride in a flight simulator and meals (dinner, snacks and breakfast).
It also includes a pop-up planetarium and interactive activities during which guests can create their own planet and space aliens. Kids will also receive a goodie bag with a T-shirt and complimentary passes to the museum.

Operation Slumber is $120 per person and runs from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. Space is limited; call 646-381-5010 or email [email protected] to reserve a spot.

http://www.newsday.c...ttan-1.10680189

http://www.intrepidm...erIntrepid.aspx

Reactions: vmtcmt

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
Navy....No ticks, spiders, snakes, chiggers, scorpions, big mosquitoes things that want to crawl up against you in the night....sounds like you missed all the slumber party fun..lol

Reactions: Trailblazer

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
I had a buddy that worked on restoring the ship and took a day exploring it, In pretty rough shape below decks with asbestos warning signs posted all over and a lot of pealing paint...This was eairly 80s Its come a long way since then...

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
After spending my last deployment sleeping 1 deck below one of the forward catapult stops on the USS America, I've had my full quota of Navy rack time.

Nice idea for the kids though.

Reactions: TERRY P

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
After spending my last deployment sleeping 1 deck below one of the forward catapult stops on the USS America, I've had my full quota of Navy rack time.

Nice idea for the kids though.
Had the opportunity to take a tour on the America the last time she came in for fleet week, which was just before the last deployment before being moth-balled. It was a blast walking around the last of the steamers. My cousins husband was QA of a F-18 squadron, so it was nice to have a personal tour guide.

·
Registered
656 Posts
You know of what I speak then. :)
I do! Partner and I got lost below deck on radio runs several times in the early 80's. SCARY! Private security was non existent back then. Maybe one or two square badges, folks forget the Intrepid sat docked abandoned for some time after being towed to its pier before being transformation to a floating museum. The North had several jobs each week, mostly 4x12's and late tours. No LED flashlights back then, like I said...SCARY even with our Model 10's. Close quarters, tossed a few skel's off the ship...not literally of course. Ah MEMORIES!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.