Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there that has the time, tools, and knowledge to do a conversion of twenty round mags to ten's? I have 7 mags that need to be moded. Im talking cut down and refinshed minty. I did one myself, and it looks like a franken mag. I am willing to throw some cash to the person or they can keep a few mags. Btw I have know idea if this is legal so if not school me.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
^^The above site is a great resource for mag blocks of many rifle magazines.

The mag blocks can be epoxied in and under the SAFE Act you have the option to modify your "preban" mags instead of getting rid of them. It's simple enough if you know how to disassemble a magazine and use a tube of epoxy.

This is great for otherwise complaint guns that run off surplus mags like say the Suomi M31 which only uses WWII 30-some rounder stick mags. Well, they have a mag block for that. Same with G3 mags, etc. Good luck.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Yeah a mag block is cool, but If I cant put ammo in it id rather gain the clearance of the shorter mag...
Often times the mag block is more cost effective, and a lot of people prefer the original mag surplus look.

However, you can get DSA 5 and 10 rounders for 30 bucks:
http://www.dsarms.co...ductinfo/11710/

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i ordered from them over a year ago....lol. think they cancled it amongst the safe bs. Either way i got these 20's, Gotta be someone out there that needs a project...

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
i ordered from them over a year ago....lol. think they cancled it amongst the safe bs. Either way i got these 20's, Gotta be someone out there that needs a project...
OK, so you don't want to neatly mag block your existing 20s.
You don't want to buy 5 or 10 round aftermarket magazines, which while not cheap would surely be less than a project and are perfectly legal and effective (and available from different sources online)...

You are determined to find someone to chop your existing 20s at likely great cost and probably less effectiveness. Good luck.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Listen Im sorry If my request offends you in some way but, If I wanted to buy new mags the title of my thread would have been " hey where can find 10 round FAL mags". I already knew about DSA. I have the 20's on hand and like I said im not interested in mag bloking them I would rather have the clearance than a hunk of plastic in the mag. I like to tinker and mod my guns and/or equipment. I tried myself and while the mag functions, it dosen't look as nice as i woudld like it to. I was only inquiring if there was someone like myself on here that is better equiped tool wise that wouldnt mind/enjoy working on it, and make some money while doing so...

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
Listen Im sorry If my request offends you in some way but, If I wanted to buy new mags the title of my thread would have been " hey where can find 10 round FAL mags". I already knew about DSA. I have the 20's on hand and like I said im not interested in mag bloking them I would rather have the clearance than a hunk of plastic in the mag. I like to tinker and mod my guns and/or equipment. I tried myself and while the mag functions, it dosen't look as nice as i woudld like it to. I was only inquiring if there was someone like myself on here that is better equiped tool wise that wouldnt mind/enjoy working on it, and make some money while doing so...
Ok, fair enough.

It simply seems a very time consuming proposition to arrive at the same result a $30 replacement mag can offer, which is why options were offered. You yourself said you ended up with a frankenmag. To get an inexpensive surplus FAL mag to a professional looking level from someone with a higher skill set just seems not very cost/time effective for someone else to do. But, maybe you'll find someone that generous, so good luck.

There are modifiers on the FAL Files that have done exactly what you want, but not sure how much it would cost.
http://falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

·
Zombtac Operator
12,183 Posts
When I did it i actually got the demensions for the cuts from FAL Files, lol.
Which would be the most obvious place to get them.

Just pointing out that if you can't do it yourself there are modifiers on there that will mod your mags for money (which is what you are asking for?)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
True indeed, I knew it would be a long shot but was hoping to keep it on the Island. No worries either way, just thought I would throw it out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.