Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Premium Member
2,022 Posts
NYDEC e-mail blast just received.

DEC recently adopted a couple of rule changes that continue progressive actions to address deer populations in portions of the state with too many or too few deer. One change involved establishing antlerless-only portions of the bow and muzzleloader seasons in several Wildlife Management Units (WMUs) where deer populations are larger than desired and increasing the availability of tags for antlerless deer has not achieved the necessary population reduction. This change has generated numerous questions from hunters, so DEC has posted additional detail, including a summary of the public comment received during the rule making process, at New Antlerless Deer Hunting Rules for 2015 http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/103040.html

· Registered
176 Posts
We already have a rule on our property. Study the animals and watch how they move. Pick the one that you feel is right. Hunt that animal and take it with one well placed shot. One animal per person per season Period. Fill the freezer, feed the family and let the sheep worry about DEC rules.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
That really doesn't explain much.
I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that a government agency would put something out that didn't really explain or help with the problem they are trying to solve.

I've never hunted on long island and with Cuomo and his RINO buddies using the hunting licenace money to screw us i didn't want to but had considered changing my mind.
I read it. What does it mean?
How many deer can I take?
How to I get a DMP, which i had to look up btw?
Is it easy?
What's the procedure?
How many anterless deer can i take in 1C?

They want more deer takin but in typical government fashion they're not helping hunters know what's available.
So damn simple too.
In these regions you can take x amount of anterless deer . Click here for info on applying for your DMP.
But that would just be too simple wouldn't it?
Instead you have to sift through their bureaucratic babble and how does that entice new hunters?
I hate our DEC incase no one picked up on that.

We should spend a couple of hundred thousand$ on some government sharpshooters.
I bet if they made the government sharpshooters run though this nonsense they'd say, "No thanks."

· Premium Member
2,022 Posts
How many anterless deer can i take in 1C?
As many as you can drag out of the woods.

The town of Southold helps administer the DEC's tag distribution. They will give you a replacement tag for every one you use.
They had a stack of anterless deer tags waiting to be handed out when I visited them in December.

I had two opportunities last year. I took two shots. I wound up with two young bucks, not trophys by anyone's standards. I had one butchered, the other I gave to Southold's venison donation program.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts

The town of Southold helps administer the DEC's tag distribution. They will give you a replacement tag for every one you use.
They had a stack of anterless deer tags waiting to be handed out when I visited them in December.

I had two opportunities last year. I took two shots. I wound up with two young bucks, not trophys by anyone's standards. I had one butchered, the other I gave to Southold's venison donation program.
My point was that the DEC does not make it easy to know this.
Either they are incompetent or deliberately obtuse and vague on purpose.
I'm sure it's not done on purpose. They just suck.

Congratulations on your 2 deer and for donating the venison of one.
You did much better than the government sharpshooters I think.

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
So what's the procedure?
I figure you could explain it infinitely easier than I could figure out from reading their babble.

After getting a Big Game permit with a bow stamp if I want to hunt LI and take some "anterless" deer what do I do?

· Premium Member
2,022 Posts
http://www.dec.ny.go...door/10001.html

Bonus Deer Management Permits (DMPs) are issued to increase hunter participation and antlerless deer harvest in areas with abundant deer. Bonus DMPs are available to hunters who take an antlerless deer on a DMP or a Bonus DMP in one of the units listed above. Bonus DMPs may be used only in the WMU for which they are issued. For 2014-15 all Bonus DMPs will be valid only for antlerless deer, not either-sex deer as in the past. Bonus DMPs that are used to take an antlerless deer may be replaced with another Bonus DMP. No fee will be charged for the Bonus DMP.

[email protected][/email] with "1C Bonus" in the subject line
[/list]
Be sure to include your name, hunter ID number (backtag number), mailing address, and phone number to receive Bonus permits by mail.
In Person Application

Hunters may bring qualifying antlerless carcasses to the Ridge or Stony Brook deer check station during bow and firearms seasons or Hither Hills deer check station during the firearms season. Qualifying copies of completed 1C DMP tags may be taken to any of the following the deer check stations in Suffolk County.

More data at the link provided.

· Premium Member
2,022 Posts
After getting a Big Game permit with a bow stamp if I want to hunt LI and take some "anterless" deer what do I do?
You need to also get a Deer Management Permit for $10.00. http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/6403.html

http://www.dec.ny.go...rmits/6094.html

(The table format did not copy)

residency qualifications)
An annual hunting license (above) must be purchased before purchasing the following privileges/stamps.

Type Resident Fee Nonresident Fee

Needed For :

Bowhunting Privilege $15 (ages 16-69)
No fee (ages 70+)
$5 (ages 12-15) $30 (ages 16+)
$5 (ages 12-15) To know when you need
a privilege, permit or
stamp, visit the Hunting Licenses/Privileges Needed page.

Muzzleloading Privilege $15 (ages 14-69)
No fee (ages 70+) $30 (ages 14+) Turkey Permit $10 (ages 12+) $20 (ages 12+) Harvest Information Program No fee (ages 12+) No fee
(must register in New
York even if registered
in another state
)

Federal Duck Stamp
[sub](External link)[/sub] $25 (ages 16+)

Deer Management Permit $10 (ages 16+)
No fee (ages 12-15)
No fee (holders of lifetime sportsman
licenses purchased prior to
October 1, 2009) Harvesting antlerless
deer (antlers less than 3" long)
in select Wildlife Management Units.

Permits for Hunter's with Disability No fee Using specialized equipment
to aid in discharging a
bow, or to discharge a
firearm from a motorized vehicle.

· Anti-Statist
5,336 Posts

And yet we can't hunt weekends... Sheesh

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.