Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
"The Japanese were storming through the makeshift battlefront aid station. Captain Benjamin
Lewis Salomon -- a dentist who took the medical unit when the regiment's surgeon became a
casualty -- had set it up. One crazy Japanese began bayoneting the wounded, Captain Salomon
took a rifle and shot him. Salomon ordered an evacuation.

'I'll hold them off until you get them to safety,' he said.

Those were the last words he said. And he kept them. Boy, did he ever. In an act of courage
and self-sacrifice rare even for World War II, Ben Salomon took charge of a machine gun and
protected his men -- his battalion -- his regiment -- from a pack of wild, suicidal Japanese
soldiers.

Over the next 58 years, the nation wrestled with giving him a Medal of Honor."

Read why: http://donsurber.blogspot.com/2015/09/exceptional-american-of-day-benjamin.html

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Rules are rules and rules are meant to be broken.
When the **** attacked an Aid Station all bets are off. Can't believe it took so long to make this right. Thank you Sir for your extraordinary service.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
In today's America he's no hero, Caitlin Jenner is a real hero!

...hmmm....How do I make acidic sarcasm come across in text??
You could say about Caitlin, "he's a real hero", that should do it.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Thanks for the great and for me, timely story. For my 50th (coming in January, I like Belgian beer, Swiss watches, and American firearms, just so you know) birthday I booked a Stephen Ambrose WWII history tour of the Pacific. Saipan is one of the stops. I've started reading up about the Pacific theater again and am currently on Robert Leckie's "Strong Men Armed." He's on Guadalcanal. This morning on the ride to work I was reading about John Basilone. His story is a lot like this one. I don't know where we find such men but those guys were much better than me. It hardly seems right to call myself an American if men like that did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.