Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
38,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Longoria says AK-47 stolen from house is 'a personal item'
By David Brown

When talking to reporters about the weekend burglary of a house he and two teammates have been renting during spring training, Tampa Bay Rays slugger Evan Longoria(notes) at first failed to mention one of the prominent stolen items.

We heard about a 60-inch TV, a laptop computer, three iPads and several expensive watches. We also heard from the players how it was a good thing they - Longoria, David Price(notes) and Reid Brignac(notes) - weren't home at the time of the invasion.

But we hadn't heard about a certain "personal item" that belonged to Longoria. Nothing too important, you know, just your average run-of-the-mill ... AK-47 assault rifle.

And Price was worried about having to manually replace all of his Internet bookmarks.

An AK. That's a big gun, and probably why it was a good thing Longoria and Co. weren't home during the invasion. Somebody would have been armed. Say hello to Longo's little friend, etc., etc.

"Perfectly legal," the local sheriff's office says.

It's also perfectly understandable Longoria wouldn't want word to get out that he was careless and irresponsible enough to store an unsecured deadly weapon in a rented home that had little or no apparent security system and would frequently be unoccupied.

A home that also had at least one unlocked window, police said, through which thieves entered and took the weapon.

Longoria did not have much to add about his missing gun when asked about it on Monday by the St. Pete Times:

"It's a personal item," [said] Longoria on Monday afternoon, before the Rays game against the Yankees at Steinbrenner Field. "Obviously they're going to say things that are taken. I think everything within the house is personal and we'll just leave it at that."

Longoria, speaking for about two minutes in front of several TV and print reporters, said he wants to put the burglary behind him and move on.

Yes, just wash those hands. Meanwhile, we've got another powerful gun on the street in a criminal's possession. I don't know why Longoria owns (or owned) an AK-47, but no matter if it was for protection or for fun, he shouldn't get it back - if police ever recover it in the first place.

·
Registered
501 Posts
heard about this yesterday.. people in the media are making such a big deal about it.  i would bet the vast majority of pro athletes, especially prominent ones like longoria, own firearms.. i guess people just hear ak47 and think of it as a machine gun

·
Accurizer
887 Posts
I read the title as "Eva" Longoria and was correspondingly disappointed with the story.

In all seriousness, leaving any gun sitting around, unsecured--much less in a rental house--is just plain dumb.

·
Lousy Shot
16,248 Posts
Vaht does baseballist need veeth Кала́шников ?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
micron26 said:
I read the title as "Eva" Longoria and was correspondingly disappointed with the story.

In all seriousness, leaving any gun sitting around, unsecured--much less in a rental house--is just plain dumb.
+1 you and me both :(

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
It's not our place to say if he should get it back.  Hopefully he learns a little about safety, but it remains his legal property.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Idiot...Definition of a safe: A safe (also called strongbox, coffer or kist) is a secure lockable box used for securing valuable objects against theft or damage. A safe is usually a hollow cuboid or cylinder, with one face removable or hinged to form a door.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I agree that he should have had it locked up, but geeez, from the tone of the article you'd wonder who the criminal is.  The burglar, if he does not have a criminal record, could take his ill-gotten proceeds and go buy an AK himself.  I hope some letters are headed toward the reporter to set him straight.

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
BLAMMO said:
Vaht does baseballist need veeth Кала́шников ?
Iz rite! Vy hee need Кала́шников? Evereebodee kno dat yoo not hold Кала́шников sidevays for keel shot!

·
Registered
11,563 Posts
tonythelip said:
Who's Evan Longoria?
That's what I was thinking...

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
Might it been stolen with the locked case it was in or out of a lock closet or a lock gun cabinet. We don't know you are listening to and anti who wants to bring his numbers up.

This sentence sum up this left wing stand on gun ownership.
"Yes, just wash those hands. Meanwhile, we've got another powerful gun on the street in a criminal's possession. I don't know why Longoria owns (or owned) an AK-47, but no matter if it was for protection or for fun, he shouldn't get it back - if police ever recover it in the first place."

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Leaving it locked up or not is a personal choice. Its wise to do it, but not required. Its his home, his rules. Perfectly legal down there.

The media is [email protected]#! up, instead of trying to scorn the robber, he's scorning the homeowner? Get real..

·
former ak builder
2,574 Posts

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
micron26 said:

As did I ;)

In all seriousness though it is well known that Eva Longoria is a shooter. I remember an interview for the movie "The Sentential" where she stated that she is a lifelong shooter, owns several guns, and that her shooting was better than that of most real life US Secret Service agents (she plays a Secret Service agent in the movie).

·
Registered
15,416 Posts
she plays baseball too? ;D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts