Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally had a chance to try out my Eotech sight on the Beretta CX-4 carbine. Prior to going to the range I used a laser bore sight to get the Eotech roughly aligned. The first three shots at 100 yards were on paper about eight inches low and six inches to the left. A few clicks in both directs and a few more shots had me on center and still a little low. A few more clicks for vertical adjustment and I'm center of mass and stayed there through the next few magazines and out of ammo.

Wearing corrective lenses and using the standard peep sights on the CX-4 or iron sights on pistols always results in the sights being blurry. While I can still manage good accuracy at 25 yards with a pistol (Glock sights) and peep sights to 100 yards with the CX-4, having the ability to have both the sight and target crystal clear gives me some confidence that I can consider trying some longer range shooting without resorting to magnification. Maybe there is an AR in my future :).

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
That's a good combo. I have the CX4 in .45 ACP with the Bushnell HALO. I prefer the EOTech to the Aimpoint out past 50 yards.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AR_Guy said:
That's a good combo. I have the CX4 in .45 ACP with the Bushnell HALO. I prefer the EOTech to the Aimpoint out past 50 yards.
Another thing I like about the Eotech/Bushnell type sight is that I find it easy to keep both eyes open while viewing the target through the sight. The HALO is a marvel of technology for those that are eyesight challenged.

BTW, my CX-4 is the .45acp version. I'm hoping to add a .45acp handgun next year, maybe the PX-4.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I'm a huge eotech fan and have one on most of my guns. I recently did an XPS3-0 plus a 3x magnifier on the SCAR and its great, takes advantage of the SCAR's accuracy. Still... my end of the world paranoid rifle is still a SOCOM16 w/ an aimpoint m4. I've left it on for a loooong time now trying to test kill my battery and it's still going. Definately tough to beat in batt life. Well, as Eotech improves the tech I'm sure it will come around.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TactiDork said:
I'm a huge eotech fan and have one on most of my guns. I recently did an XPS3-0 plus a 3x magnifier on the SCAR and its great, takes advantage of the SCAR's accuracy. Still... my end of the world paranoid rifle is still a SOCOM16 w/ an aimpoint m4. I've left it on for a loooong time now trying to test kill my battery and it's still going. Definately tough to beat in batt life. Well, as Eotech improves the tech I'm sure it will come around.
Eotech is boosting some improvement in battery life but from what I hear nothing comes close to the Aimpoint. They must have some super low loss circuitry that has very, very little drain on the battery.

I think my main reason for going with the Eotech, beyond the good reputation, was the clarity of the sight on the target and the ease in which I can keep both eyes open when looking through the sight. I got into the habit of closing one eye when looking through a tube and I think it's a hard on to break and get use to.

·
6,913 Posts
I have some Aimpoints and yes the battery life is amazing. But I prefer the EOtech for shooting over all. I have several and prefer them for most shooting. It just seems to work better for my eyes.

·
Registered
839 Posts
well.. if were keeping score I have 3 Eotechs to 1 aimpoint... so I guess I like Eotech just a tad bit more. I do agree that I naturally seem to close one eye when using a tube type sight. Even on my friends aimpoint micro I have to remind myself to open both eyes. On the Eotech it just seems to do it naturally.

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
I need to buy a red dot sight for my P-90 rifle.
I have been asking various dealerswhether I should buy an EOTech or an Aimpoint.
The consensus is that I should buy an Aimpoint, because Aimpoints have a longer battery life and are more durable.

Sydney

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SydneyH said:
I need to buy a red dot sight for my P-90 rifle.
I have been asking various dealerswhether I should buy an EOTech or an Aimpoint.
The consensus is that I should buy an Aimpoint, because Aimpoints have a longer battery life and are more durable.

Sydney
I suggest finding some way to give both a try before you purchase. They're not cheap and you don't want to end up with an expensive disappointment.

·
6,913 Posts
2edgesword said:
I suggest finding some way to give both a try before you purchase. They're not cheap and you don't want to end up with an expensive disappointment.
+1 I own both and they are different. The EOtech just works better for my eyes. The Aimpoint only advantage to me is battery life. But they may seem different to you. YMMV.

But if you want an Aimpoint PM me I can steer you to an awesome deal.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hi Paul,

I have the same setup in 9mm! I wasn't too thrilled with the iron sights on the CX4, but the Eotech turned it into a really fun little plinker at the range.

I got one of the newer Eotechs over the summer, they advertised 600 hours on one cr123 which seemed pretty darn good, and I went with the single dot reticle, the dot in a circle was just a little busy for me. Between the small size, the battery life, and the wide field of vision that the holosight gives as you mentioned, I love it.

My newbie question to the group...I sighted in the Eo in at 25 feet which would be the max for me in a home defense situation. When I moved the target back to 50 ft it was shooting high by several inches. Does the bullet trajectory actually arc higher as the bullet travels?? I think I need a little Trajectory for Dummies 101. Happy Holidays!

·
6,913 Posts
Sight over bore. On that rifle as well as the AR and AK the optic is mounted high over the bore. The bullet will hit lower the closer you get to the target. Trajectory factors in but that is too much to get into here.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Ah, ok, that makes perfect sense. But if you're in a combat situation where you might be close quarters at 5yds one sec and aiming out to 50yds the next, wouldn't that pretty much defeat the purpose of even having it? Again, new to distance shooting so if I'm stating the obvious, be gentle, haha.

AR_Guy said:
Sight over bore. On that rifle as well as the AR and AK the optic is mounted high over the bore. The bullet will hit lower the closer you get to the target. Trajectory factors in but that is too much to get into here.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Not exactly. You have to know your zero's and hold overs. With the Eotech, you ahve different options- 1moa or 2 moa, double dots, and a 65 MOA ring. When setup right, you can use the rings to guide you in your targeting.

there is a vast diference between halo tech and red dot- halo has a wider objective, allowing you to see more- it also is a moving recticle, so if you have to snap shoot at something, you don't have to have perfect cheek welds or anything to make that shot.

The XPS 1 cr123 cell is a vast improvement over the AA style- mostly because the traverse mounting is not subjected to the same fatigue factors as the standard battery mount.

If you on guard duty where any moment you may need to bring the weapon to bear, maybe an aimpoint is more useful. (battery life) But to each their own, one size does not fit all.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you are talking the difference in point of impact between 25 and 50 yards it's a not issue unless you're trying to make a precise head shot. If you have the CX-4 zeroed at 25 yards the point of impact will be a couple of inches higher at 50 yards. As madmax mentioned you can compensate for this by holding a point of aim a little lower.

On battery life, if you're out in the field with the sight constantly on the difference in battery life is major. For most other applications where the sight is only kept on for a few hours at the range it's not a significant issue. Of course you have to remember to turn it off at the end of your range time :).

Regarding close range I would also work on some method of being accurate out to 25 yards with the sight mounted and off. With a long barrel firearm you can pretty much use your natural ability to line up the barrel on target and hit on paper with no use of the sights, at least at close range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts