Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Enfield Question

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  l8ergtg 
#1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing an Enfield SMLE MK III* as I like the gun types and am hopping to use it to jumpstart my collet. However this Enfield that I am looking at the stock is different then the typical Enfield as it does not engulf the entire thing and I am wondering why? Is this a slight sportarization of it? Is it a poor restoration? Or is it just one of the many variants? I value shooting ability more then anything but I would like this to be historically correct. The Rifle itself is dated 1917 and it is from an Auction company that is very trusted. Below is a picture (Ignore the white spots, just the stand)

Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Thank you for any and all help!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello,
I am looking at purchasing an Enfield SMLE MK III* as I like the gun types and am hopping to use it to jumpstart my collet. However this Enfield that I am looking at the stock is different then the typical Enfield as it does not engulf the entire thing and I am wondering why? Is this a slight sportarization of it? Is it a poor restoration? Or is it just one of the many variants? I value shooting ability more then anything but I would like this to be historically correct. The Rifle itself is dated 1917 and it is from an Auction company that is very trusted. Below is a picture (Ignore the white spots, just the stand)

attachicon.gif
download.png

Thank you for any and all help!
Unfortunately that was common with many Enfield rifles back in the 50s and 60s. You get many fake Jungle Carbines out there. You will have gun shops selling you an authentic Lee Enfield Military rifle with a nickel barrel and receiver telling you that it was made for the jungle environment to resist rust.
You can always check the bolt, magazine and stock for matching serial numbers. The sporter rifles will have a different stock and sights. Golden State Sante Fe made these rifles.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Any Enfield has to have matching numbers as in Receiver and Bolt. Headspace can be an issue, it is sized by the bolt face. Having mismatched parts is one way to eliminate a candidate. Second, that rifle there looks like a sporter import that was very popular as Enfields were everywhere. Nothing wrong with it as a shooter buy has no historic or military significance. Take a look around, they are on shelves in most places, Gunbroker has many of them. Good Luck, do some research as there were several versions. No 1's are good guns but No 4's have the best of everything, sights stocks and are generally newer. There are some Post WW2 Irish Constabulary rifles still floating around that are if not in cosmoline are in like new condition.

Lee Enfield UF 55 No4 Mk2 .303 LN Fazakerley 1955 - Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com : 892619935

This is of what I speak, 1955 production. Not a WWII gun but a great example of a sweet Enfield. Pricey yes, but this is the top of the line, prices go down you just have to look and know what to look for. Still deals out there.

#4 ·
I think what I am going to end up doing is try and purchase it as it is only going to be the start of Enfield collection in my life and use this one as a regular shooter Enfield to get the same feeling and later in life invest in one that is historically correct as I know I will own more in my life time.

Thanks for everything

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.