Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this in Open Firearm Discussions, because we don't have a "You Can't Fix Stupid" Forum:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/16/elementary-school-teaching-children-throw-books-classroom-gunmen/

by AWR HAWKINS 16 Sep 2015

A father is outraged after learning that an "active shooter protocol" at his children's school, Stevenson Elementary in Heath, Ohio, includes encouraging his eight-year-old son to throw books at the gunman.

According to Fox 28, Dean Spencer says his nine-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son "were told by school teachers to throw books at anyone with a gun should they ever make their way into their library or classroom." Spencer said he did not believe the story at first, but after listening to details from his daughter for a second time, he was simply shocked. He said, "To give them advice or commands to throw things at someone with a gun it's absurd, it's insane."

Heath City School District officials confirmed that "430 third-through-fifth graders at Stevenson are being trained to use the tactic as a last-line of defense if all else fails should the worst case scenario ever happen." Superintendent Trevor Thomas said, "Our training to staff and students is we need to get them out of that situation. Everything is about student safety."

Thomas stressed that protocol used by Stevenson Elementary reflects that which "the attorney general's office [provided] on how to handle an active shooter situation and that every district in Ohio is required to have a plan in place." And "while the book-tossing plan is in place for Stevenson," Thomas indicated that "other procedures are being unveiled for middle and high school level students."

In January, Breitbart News reported that W.F. Middle School principal Princella Holley sent a letter home asking Chambers County, Alabama, parents to provide their children with a can of food that could be stockpiled at the school and thrown at a gunman in the event of an attack. Holley wrote, "We realize at first this may seem odd; however, it is a practice that would catch an intruder off guard." She contended that "the canned food item could stun the intruder or even knock him out until the police arrive."

Other school systems around the country have changed their policies to allow teachers with concealed carry permits to be armed to defend themselves and children in case of attack.

Follow AWR Hawkins on Twitter:mad:AWRHawkins. Reach him directly at [email protected]

·
AMF YOYO
3,598 Posts
Yeah, because the first thing you want to do with a gun-toting lunatic is piss him off by hitting him with a book or a can of beanie-weenie.

THE STUPID!!!! IT BURNS!!!! IT BUUURRRNNNSSSS!!!!!

Reactions: sparks25

·
Registered
304 Posts
I teach public school in Queens and have been told essentially the same thing, though not limited to books specifically. Our procedure is to lock the door, shut off the lights and gather along the wall that limits exposure to the sight line of the door. We also are told to open the blinds on the windows so that "snipers" (no joke) can see into the room. I teach in rooms with no windows so that last bit doesn't apply to me.

Honestly though, if in an active shooter situation and that person is in my room, what are the options? Line up to make it easier or use whatever is at hand to fight back? If it's some sort of hostage thing ok, maybe we don't "piss off" the gunman by fighting back. If someones actively trying to kill people I'm gonna use whatever I have at hand to mount the best defense I can.

Ryan

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
Anything is better than being sitting ducks.
I told my kids that if anything like this should ever happen in your school to take a folding chairs or anything handy and heavy and stand by the door and out of sight, teacher's orders be damned. If anyone comes through the door with a gun, hit them and keep on hitting them. Better to ask forgiveness than permission.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't read my post as If I'm defending the school system.

Just pointing out that if this were an article by a self defense guru recommending the use of improvised weapons as a last resort it may be viewed differently than if it were from the school.

Ryan

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
My kids have very specific instructions as well, but the odds are, they would forget them when faced with panick of their teacher and 20 other kids. I just hope they are never faced with this situation.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If some gunman gets into my kid's classroom, the LAST thing I want her doing is to be the first person to toss something at them.

What child is going to have the presence of mind to start throwing things once bullets start flying? Ain't gonna happen.

I understand the schools have to have a policy in place. I get it. But, in reality, when it all goes down, most people are going to cover up.

·
Black Robe Regiment Immigration without assimilati
8,064 Posts
Don't read my post as If I'm defending the school system.

Just pointing out that if this were an article by a self defense guru recommending the use of improvised weapons as a last resort it may be viewed differently than if it were from the school.

Ryan
I will add to this post that my wife was told to put up a piece of construction paper completely covering over the window(which is kept ready to go) and then move heavy furniture against the door.

Reactions: Mad Russian

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
If some gunman gets into my kid's classroom, the LAST thing I want her doing is to be the first person to toss something at them.
I don't know about that.
Its seems to be the end of the line by the time the gunman gets into the kid's classroom. (Assuming multiple shots have already been fired.)
A coordinated effort tossing stuff as the door is opened seems like it is the last ditch effort to walk away unharmed.
If these shooters are the pansies that they are made out to be, it may be enough of a deterrent for them to move on to the next room.
I cannot imagine it causing the outcome to be worse than the inevitable.

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
Okay, is this too obvious?

We fortified the cockpit doors as a result of 9/11.
Why wouldn't we fortify every classroom door in the school?
I know that will still leave common areas vulnerable, but if I am a teacher that spends most of my time in one room behind one door, or a parent of a child that spends most of its time in one room, I know what I would be suggesting to the PTA.

100MPG beat me to it.

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
Do the kids also go through FBI tactical training to be able to decide when to leave cover and throw books as the time has arrived for the "last line of defense" is to be deployed or is it just whenever they get scared.

Myrcinus nailed it. Good thinking, pi$$ off the guy that has a tight grip on the gun and not such a tight grip on his mental faculties or reality in general.

Idiots! They should be charged with endangering the welfare of a minor.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I will add to this post that my wife was told to put up a piece of construction paper completely covering over the window(which is kept ready to go) and then move heavy furniture against the door.
Same here, and I should specify that I wasn't instructed to tell my students to throw stuff, but that it was given to faculty as an option.

·
Registered
304 Posts
They should have some sort of brace for the door that the teacher can put in place in case there is a report f a gunman INSIDE the school. Something that can ONLY be used by a teacher or adult and braces the door completely. Or arm teachers.
This would be an option in elementary schools for sure. Middle or high I don't think it becomes viable because you would always run the risk of students being able to lock themselves in a room, that's no bueno. And to my knowledge most of these situations don't have shooters forcibly breaking in doors, locking it covers most situations.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.