Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
what
1,444 Posts
Who has one? I don't really have a spot for a real one, the best spots are all occupied by doors or windows and then there's baseboard in other areas etc. Just don't really have a good place to put one or even a wood stove.

I am interested in an electric mainly for the ambiance but the heat is an added bonus if it actually heats the room as it claims to.

I need a wall mount, not recessed, with a vent on the front of the unit. The plan is to put it here

Wood Grey Floor Lamp Shelving

I'll be replacing the radiator covers with custom built wood ones. The fire place will mount low on the wall like a real one right above the radiator, and i will build a mantel and surround that will be built off of the radiator cover.

I want the most realistic looking flame i can get, any opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Put a gas Fire Place in. You won't regret it. Little venting if any and doesnt take more space than electric and in a pinch can heat your house in an emergency.

·
Banned
5,971 Posts
I have one that's a stand alone unit. It's really only good for one room. You can probably heat your entire house using your boiler and it will be cheaper to run than an electric heater. I just use it to supplement the heat in the FIL s room. It's a shame I have a wood burning stove in the same room that does the whole house but haven't used it since he moved in. Don't need a crazy old man playing with fire

·
1 warning point
1,644 Posts
I have this. It's nice, has different LED lights along the side for color options. Flame has different settings and brightness levels. Built in digital thermostat to set temp. Got it at BJs 2 years ago for $180 I think. Heats a 16x20 room perfectly. I ran a dedicated circuit for it and mounted the outlet out of view. My wife loves it, so that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
We have a large electric fireplace with full size mantel in our bedroom. It works great to assist the heating but obviously is a power hog. We have a full size one in the living room as well but it uses the ventless gel fuel cans. That kicks off a decent amount of heat but looks so much nicer than the electric. I recommend checking out Fairway.com they had an incredible selection of all styles and types with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have one. All it needs is the wood kit. It's the complete inner part with the firebox. It's worth about $1500. You can have it for $200. Brand new, never used.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
There are also fire panel fireplaces. They burn an ethanol style fuel (E-100). Throws off some decent heat too.

We just put one in our Den. Very nice. A full "tank" at full flame lasts about 2.5 hours.

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
I have this. It's nice, has different LED lights along the side for color options. Flame has different settings and brightness levels. Built in digital thermostat to set temp. Got it at BJs 2 years ago for $180 I think. Heats a 16x20 room perfectly. I ran a dedicated circuit for it and mounted the outlet out of view. My wife loves it, so that's all that really matters.
How much electricity does it eat when you run it?

·
1 warning point
1,644 Posts
How much electricity does it eat when you run it?
It draws 12 amps, with the digital thermostat, it will only kick on here and there. We used it at night during the winter to keep the chill out of the den. Depending on what temp you set it at, depends on how much it uses. The way my den is (3 outside walls) it is always a little chillier than the rest of the house.

I offered my wife a blanket, but she wanted this instead. You can run it without the heat on also. She used it all winter, regardless of heat on. It also came with a remote. Happy wife, happy life.

·
Banned
17,097 Posts
It draws 12 amps, with the digital thermostat, it will only kick on here and there. We used it at night during the winter to keep the chill out of the den. Depending on what temp you set it at, depends on how much it uses. The way my den is (3 outside walls) it is always a little chillier than the rest of the house.

I offered my wife a blanket, but she wanted this instead. You can run it without the heat on also. She used it all winter, regardless of heat on. It also came with a remote. Happy wife, happy life.
For some reason the chicks dig this. We have one,I think it looks stupid. The wife on the other hand can't get enough of it.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
For some reason the chicks dig this. We have one,I think it looks stupid. The wife on the other hand can't get enough of it.
Multitasking between two separate threads with a cross-over I see. LOL!

Watching this stuff after the fact is boring, I have to hit lotto.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.