Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid basic question but here goes....

Ignoring the pros and cons of using an AR for HD, is there a 5.56 round that could be used for HD? Something that won't go through the walls into a neighbors house.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quick answers thanks

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Lots of hunting is done with 5.56, so there are dozens of hollow point rounds made for it. HP should provide stopping power, but might still wind up in your neighbor's house? We have Hog Hunter in 5.56, and maybe 5 more hunting styles.
There is also a particular personal defense ammo made by hornady in 5.56, called TAP-FPD. I have not shot it, but the ammo looks like jewelry, it's got a very "pretty" polished nickel finish. Each round looks like precision made car part, not an ammo round. Not much help for defending the home, but looks great on the mantle.

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Rifle rounds penetrate walls. So does pistol ammo. Hollow point ammo is your best bet as it expands upon impact and loses velocity faster than a full metal jacket round. But don't fool yourself there's no magic bullet out there. Shot placement and a planned attack/defensive position is the key to an effective home defense situation. And even then... things go to crap.

·
Premium Member
6,063 Posts
When you say frangible do you mean the lightweight 30-50 gr varmint stuff? Or the sintered copper ammo for shipboard fighting?

And also for the purpose of ease of reading this when I say "frang" make it sound like "flange" with an 'r' in your head.

The light varmint stuff will provide shallow penetration. It's made to detonate Prairie Dogs. Shallow doesn't hit the heart, great vessels etc. It will also be easily degraded by bone, fat and clothes.

Also, the more effective .223 rounds out there are 62 to 77 gr. .223 Frang is 55gr, and 9mm frang is 100 gr, not 124gr or 147 even.

Sintered copper is no prize either. It's made to powder when it hits substantial steel. It'll punch easily through a car door. (I even recovered an intact 9mm frang round from a passenger door after it had gone through the driver door.) Frang .223 will readily go through dry wall.

4 sheets
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-14-rifles-shotguns-and-walls/

8 sheets
http://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o-truth-4-miscellaneous-rounds-meet-the-box-o-truth/

The tested truth is that you'll get less house penetration out of JHP/OTM/ballistic tip .223 than out of frang. (Marry those heavier rounds to a 1:9 or 1:7 barrel)

There's a reason frang is only used for fighting where there is a high likelihood of ricochets. And that's on a ships or GOPLATs where you don't want to get hit with what you fired or penetrate a pipe carrying something superheated steamy or fuel-ish.

.223 Frang ammo is not a good performer wound ballistics wise. It typically offers 4"-8 inches of penetration in gel. That's just gel which simulates muscle. Not bone, clothes, or fat.

On the frang upside you can shoot steel targets as point blank range with little to no fear of splash back.

If you're bent on shooting someone with something ineffective just use birdshot. That certainly won't go through 8 sheetrock boards. Also add that for whatever reason I seemed to observe feed issues with .223 frang(specifically Winchester RA223SF) where the nose will cant off 35 degrees on a misfeed or partially collapse back into the casing it the round gets mashed into the feed ramp. I believe the round isn't as deeply seated as a regular round.

Bottom line is use a .223/5.56 round that is shown to be effective against humans. No doubt(statistically) if you're shooting at someone you're probably gonna miss them. Yes, we are responsible for every round we use. But the reality is that if someone is there trying to do you or a loved one in I want a round that's going to work if I connect. That's my primary concern.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Hornady TAP 75 grain is excellent. Plenty of MK262 77g OTM out there as well. We sell the Nosler ones.

.300 Blackout is better, .300 Whisper (180-220 grain subsonic) is the best.

All of 5.56, 9mm, 00 Buck and even #8 shot will penetrate 8 layers of sheetrock. Plenty of documentation on You Tube.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.