Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
dislike Cuomo!
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother (mattyj513) and I just finished up duracoating my Smith and Wesson SW99. He did an awesome job.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice job! What was the dry time?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Looks Nice.

I duracoated some magazines a while back. They held up ok.
The Dry moly ones I do hold up alot better.

Reactions: Mr.Grapes

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,913 Posts
Looks good. Duracoat works well.

·
dislike Cuomo!
4,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
been about 5 months now so I'll give a quick follow up on the durcoat job. The gun frame is holding up perfectly: no holster wear--been inserted about 100 times, so 200 total motions. The mags are taking a little beating as this is where the most friction occurs (see picture below)--est. insertions-150, total of roughly 300 motions (in + out)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Did you sand or beadblast after degreasing i am thinking of doing a stainless rifle but
i think its to cold in my garage looks good any tips thanks :)

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Better to apply at average room temperature. If you have a space heater or any way to heat up your garage, you are good to go. Or if you have any other warmer area you can spray, a friends heated garage, etc you would be better off. Temperature can affect the curing process, so if you really dont have anywhere else to do it I would recommend leaving the duracoat and guns indoors so they stay at room temp, bring em out, spray, and then bring em back in (tuck em in a basement, boiler room, anywhere where the smell wont cause your wife to kill you).

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
And sand/bead blasting is not 100% necessary. Fine steel wool or a scotch bright pad before degreasing can give enough surface roughness for the duracoat to be able to bite. Degreasing is the most important part of the whole process.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nice job! Gives me ideas for mine.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I'm going to build my daughter a Heller Kitty AR later this year or early next. I plan on trying Durocoat for the pink finish. I have a couple of beat up class guns that I may practice on first--not pink though.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
I dont have the picture handy now, but I did a hello kitty daisy rifle for my wife. You can spray pink, put a kalashnakitty or whatever hello kitty vinyl decal, and then duracoat clear to seal it on. If you don't expect heavy wear you don't need to use the clear, the vinyl decals cling pretty good and can always be replaced.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts