Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hulu plus , Netflix a bunch of others seem have already started TV over the internet that can easily stream right to all your TV's. Spoke to a Friend the other day he dumped cable Just Keep The Internet and went with Hula says same shows and movies that cable offers except next day. Neflex may be different with live streaming TV to all your sets. The prices are cheap just starting to see what this is all about. Now I'm older but some of you young Geeks fill me in what is this all about? Is it any good? I'm sick of cable which just raised me again now I'm pushing $250 a month. Tired of fighting with them, Tired of lining Dolans pockets. Seems some of these new services offer many of the same shows you pay crazy prices for with Cable for a fraction of the price. What's the deal with these?
Maybe its time to cut cable off.

Attachments

·
Sharp Shooter!
781 Posts
Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are awesome alternatives to traditional cable. Hulu will be more of your current tv shows, albeit with a slight delay in timing. Netflix has a bunch of original series coming out (some of which are really quite good), as well as tons of movies & some older tv series. My one problem/complaint with Netflix is that it often takes a while for newer content to be made available (if using the streaming subscription only).

On a somewhat related note, I doubt people in their teens-mid twenties will even have a home phone line when they move to their own place. Why add another bill, when cell phones are always available/on you? I know I won't have a home phone line.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Amazon Prime are awesome alternatives to traditional cable. Hulu will be more of your current tv shows, albeit with a slight delay in timing. Netflix has a bunch of original series coming out (some of which are really quite good), as well as tons of movies & some older tv series. My one problem/complaint with Netflix is that it often takes a while for newer content to be made available (if using the streaming subscription only).

On a somewhat related note, I doubt people in their teens-mid twenties will even have a home phone line when they move to their own place. Why add another bill, when cell phones are always available/on you? I know I won't have a home phone line.
I haven't had a landline going on 15 years... realized one day I had unlimited night minutes, with free long distance, Line and long distance were billing near $100/month.... and when I was home to use them I was on the unlimited minutes anyway...that was that. The only time I ever need a landline is for faxes - which is very rarely.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I ditched cable (for TV) and went with Direct TV for now. Eventually would love to go TV free, but until they make it easier (I have kids) I'll stick with the basic package I have.

Wife wanted to keep a house phone. Went with Magic Jack. Works pretty good. You need to dial the area code all the time (but I think everyone will need to do that soon anyway). It works and its only about 45 a year (I think its 35 for the year plus 10 since I kept my old number. Still dont know why it needs to be a yearly fee, they did the hard work already).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I haven't had a landline going on 15 years... realized one day I had unlimited night minutes, with free long distance, Line and long distance were billing near $100/month.... and when I was home to use them I was on the unlimited minutes anyway...that was that. The only time I ever need a landline is for faxes - which is very rarely.
You can just use your computer/scanner for faxing with services like hellofax.com.

·
Premium Member
3,195 Posts
I'll always keep a land line. As good as cell service has gotten it isn't as reliable as a land line. The only time in 42 years we've had trouble with our land line was during the Sandy aftermath. In every other blackout In an emergency it's still more reliable than a cell that might not be charged might not be handy. There's always at least one old fashioned phone, which doesn't need electricity, in the house. I always know where it is, 911 knows exactly where it is, and it always (well, except for Sandy) works.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the phone service from cable and when internet goes out which is common the phone goes out. I couldn't even remember my home phone number I never use it always use the cell. I agree don't need it but do need internet and tv. So internet I'm stuck with Cablevision TV on the other hand I'm seeing more options out there using the internet to you TV's for much cheaper that's why I ask.

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,747 Posts
I'd worry about latency issues with Hulu, Netflix, etc.

If you're internet throughput is not good, these shows will appear choppy.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have the phone service from cable and when internet goes out which is common the phone goes out. ..snip....
Almost all cable companies offer a battery backup for your cable modem.... so if power goes out, you still have phone! ( like the old landlines, tho they had batteries at the phone switches)

I run a UPS on my cable modem... allows the cable phone to run about 16hrs after power out ( as long as the cable line doesn't break too )

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd worry about latency issues with Hulu, Netflix, etc.

If you're internet throughput is not good, these shows will appear choppy.
Internet fine when it don't go out like 4 times a month usually comes back on quick enough but should be. Just not sure how these other services are user friendly easy to connect to sets worth it etc.??

·
Borders, Language, Culture
4,747 Posts
Internet fine when it don't go out like 4 times a month usually comes back on quick enough but should be. Just not sure how these other services are user friendly easy to connect to sets worth it etc.??
But, will you be watching the shows on your computer or on TV? For me, the TV gets very choppy when watching shows through wireless hookup, but I suppose I could just hook computer into TV.

If you cut the cord with cable company, where will you get your internet service?

·
Listen up,I don't dial 911.
3,599 Posts
I had to get bills down ,so this is the route I took, I did not need a cell phone like most of you guys so I got a trac phone and got mins when they were triple. so I got like 3000 mins and 3 years of service for $100.can text and send photos.

Then I got rid of Sprint.
I ordered OOMA from Costco, and set it up for free phone service. once you figure it out and get everything adjusted it works ok. SO then I got rig of Cable TV and Cable Phone and kept Internet $40 a month.
Have direct tv and got the Genie system . about $100 a month with Showtime. So $150 does it for phone, internet ,tv, cell phone.
I did see the above post with streaming........so really do not have to have Direct TV either...........

·
Mr. ¼ MOA
3,104 Posts
I don't watch TV. I try & live life. Watching
Bluray movies on a rainy day or going to the
theater with the misses.... that I'll do.

All I need is FAST Internet. 50Mbps down,
20Mbps up... and I'm golden. I can make
money anywhere in the world with that.

Peace,
GH-07

1 - 16 of 16 Posts