Long Island Shooters Forum banner

DSI Typhoon Keymod AR-15 Upper - Zombtac Review - PICS

6K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  DarkStorm 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Originally from my zombtac review, range report coming when I get upstate to my range.
http://www.zombtac.c...yphoonupper.htm

DSI 16" Typhoon Keymod Rail AR-15 Upper Receiver, CODE: DSI-UC-TY5-N-BLK
5/19/2015: online at DSI: $599.95 built to order.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- DSI Forged Upper Receiver w/ Forward Assist and Ejection Port Cover
- M16 Bolt Carrier Group
- Spec Ops Gen 2 Charging Handle
- DSI Ultralight Narrow Profile Keymod 12" Forearm
- Micro Gas Block and Carbine Gas System
- 16" M4 Profile 5.56 Non-Threaded 1:9 Nitrite Barrel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's a Dark Storm on the horizon. NY-based Dark Storm Industries (DSI) has brought some great product to the AR platform, from parts to receivers. Their passion for the platform as well as their strong efforts for ban state options are a welcome gust in the industry.

When looking for stylish and functional components on a quality build, and at a value, you need to look no further than this offering from Dark Storm Industries (DSI). The DSI 16" Typhoon Keymod Railed upper receiver is a great bargain for a sleek light-weight upper, that has the fit, finish, and performance equal to that of many much higher prices uppers. The slim ultra-light Keymod 12" profile is one of the nicer rails of it's kind we've got our hands on and the other features that include a micro gas block and a Spec Ops Gen 2 charging handle complete the stance on this very streamlined shooter. The quality, fitment, and machining is excellent and the DSI shield branding on the rail, handle and shell deflector (along with charging US flag) are an aesthetically nice touch with out going over the top. All along, a great value for the features, quality and general set-up.

Again, thanks to DSI for their great customer service, dedication to the platform with great products, and their efforts for ban state options. Wish them luck in the new location!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Best thing since potato vodka.

I think it just comes down to a simple design that removes more material (weight) while keeping structural integrity.
I tried weighing the upper, but my small digital scale was acting up but it's insanely light and sleek. Paired with the skeleton stock it's one of my lightest rifles. I might be able to hold 4 in each hand

#20 ·
I always had a thing for Keymod....
Nice rifle man

Reactions: Destro
#21 ·
Why is destro looking for a more "slimline" handguard?

I"ve seen your hands man.....you need the hacksaw jim duggan handgard.

meanwhile, I do like the way those rails look. I think they're an improvement over quad rails, which I never really liked.

#27 ·
I wonder if DSI would make one of those uppers for me with an M-Lok handguard. It's a minor thing but I really don't like the look of the KeyMod holes. It just looks like a whole bunch of stuff that's supposed to be there is missing. The M-Lok slots are just, ... well ... slots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.