Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
I got a quote for $400 to seal the driveway and fix cracks, it is 4 years old and has never been sealed. Does this do anything to help extend the life of the driveway? I have one large crack and a few smaller cracks. The driveway is long and wide, I can easily park 8 cars on it. I might do it only for aesthetics because my OCD wife will flip out at the appearance of the crack filler and the rest of the driveway. Frankly I don't want to listen to her yammer on about it.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
My driveway is about the same size (about 80 feet long x 18 feet wide) and it costs about $200. It depends upon how much extra fixing of cracks to be done.
I use these people Vcs Suburban Sealcoating. They have done excellent work the last three times I have used them and have always been careful of my Belgian blocks.

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
Yes, do it. The sealer will extend the life of the driveway and so will the crack filler. Why are there cracks? Roots etc can do this as can settling

Reactions: FULL METAL JACKET

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Way too pricey. Paid $100 for half the size.

The good quality store bought stuff I feel is thicker than what the commercial guys use, but either way it should help. I would inquire as to what they use to fill cracks. I've seen some companies sweep sand into the cracks then just seal over it.....not the best.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
I've had mixed result......the stuff the guys put down seems diluted, and just looks like paint. It seals cracks for a little while, then they re-appear in about a month. It seems like a total scam to me.

If you use the cans, you can put it down thicker. It'll seal better and fill in cracks better.....but......after a
while it dries out, contracts, and a million little cracks appear. The cracks are in the sealer, not the driveway.
They look worse.

Pick your poison

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
Way too pricey. Paid $100 for half the size.

The good quality store bought stuff I feel is thicker than what the commercial guys use, but either way it should help. I would inquire as to what they use to fill cracks. I've seen some companies sweep sand into the cracks then just seal over it.....not the best.
Sorry, should have said Do it, but do it yourself

·
Now an Ex NYer
24,978 Posts
Clean out the cracks and seal them. Seal the driveway. Wear old clothes and pick a warm day, you can be done in half a day. The sealer doeesn't cover as much as it says unless you squeeze the life out of it when you put it on

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I've been in my home for 35 years. always sealed my own. Had a new driveway put in about 5 years ago. Had it widened to a two car driveway. Since then I've had it sealed by two different companies. First one Affantato (sp) did fine. Two years ago it developed some cracks. Was standing out front one day and another company stops me and quotes a cheaper price to "Repair" cracks and seal. Don't remember their name or I'd gladly post it. I went with them. They did the job when I was away for a few days and only my wife was home.

Those "Repaired Cracks" lasted about two weeks before they opened up again.

I'll go back to doing it myself.

Just an FYI....repair those cracks before Winter. Snow, Ice expanding and contracting will only make them worse.

·
Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
$400 seems high. Our driveway is 24' x 40' and it costs $100. I get it sealed every other year or so by Affatato Paving. No cracks to repair though, but that shouldn't increase the price too much.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts
My folks (VCS) used quality coat, taped off the Belgian block, patched large cracks and torched off any oil spots on the driveway. Never disappointed in their work/price.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Does the sealing work if the blacktop is "alligatoring" (crack patterns) or is it time for a total resurface? How much would that run?

I have a quite large driveway that's somewhat more complicated than most and am dreading the costs (300' long, flares out into 50' wide at end, and a turnaround, has a slight grade, winding approach, manhole cover for a dry-well, has to be graded perfectly for drainage). I might be able to squeak out another winter or two.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Does the sealing work if the blacktop is "alligatoring" (crack patterns) or is it time for a total resurface? How much would that run?

I have a quite large driveway that's somewhat more complicated than most and am dreading the costs (300' long, flares out into 50' wide at end, and a turnaround, has a slight grade, winding approach, manhole cover for a dry-well, has to be graded perfectly for drainage). I might be able to squeak out another winter or two.
You might not want to. With oil prices being super low, this may be the best time to do it.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
You might not want to. With oil prices being super low, this may be the best time to do it.
Ever since I bought this larger property, I really have to pick my battles . I'm still cutting and splitting trees from the storm we had weeks back. Every estimate here gets the "upscale" neighborhood price (even though I'm one of the more conservative houses here) so it's very much a game of me multitasking and setting priorities, especially since I'm fairly handy and have a workshop, etc. I mean older people here pay guys to change light bulbs. It's frustrating finding fair help.

I'm actually not sure what would happen if I let the driveway crack more (it's not that bad). It is downhill and basically acts as a large gutter during rain.
I mean it's going to cost a lot, but I think it's something I can get away with while frying bigger fish.

·
Registered
15,344 Posts

Gotta keep it sealed as much as possible.....once you get serious cracking cold weather/heaves will crumble your driveway in no time. Every 2 years if possible.....no more than 3 years.

·
Zombtac Operator
12,108 Posts
Gotta keep it sealed as much as possible.....once you get serious cracking cold weather/heaves will crumble your driveway in no time. Every 2 years if possible.....no more than 3 years.
Right. Got that. Now, it is alligatoring in some spots, and downright cracked in others, and fine in others. With the larger cracks (1/4" heaving, see dirt) will sealing work? How much per sq foot is sealing vs. re-paving or doing it over? (we're talking a 300 ft driveway with a larger area up top). I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's worth sealing, or will it need to be redone (and I guess someone would need to see it to really answer that, but just want to know what numbers run on these things)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
My driveway was put down in 1983. Never sealed it. Most of it still looks good but there are a few cracks from settling that get worse every winter. The old style sealers were not latex like they are now. I honestly think latex sealers damage asphalt. Everyone I know that's had a driveway put down over the last 10-15 years and have used the newer VOC friendly sealers wound up with a ton of small cracks. I think it seals it up and its not allowing the asphalt to flex. That's just my opinion though. Someone that does it for a living might be able to prove me wrong.

Also is it the sealer or the asphalt, that's another question. I know that's changed too. Mine was put down over large bluestone. Now its over something like RCA and theres a ton of fillers in it. Not what it used to be.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.