Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.homedepot...-X055/205376346

Had to return it for 2 reasons. The latch is so small, it's difficult to grip to pull the door open. And there was something wrong with the lock. 1/2 the times it would not open when entering the combination.

Lowes has the same safe under the "masterlock" name.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
I'm convinced HD gets sub standard stock, even with "high" end names, such as Echo, Weber, Honda, etc. as compared to outlets that specialize with those brands.

·
Registered
6,567 Posts
Be careful with ordering on the WWW, I ordered a wall safe, that stated "better than the typical wall safe because our latches are directly opposite the door hinge, making unauthorized entry more difficult. I get the safe, and it is the one they said theirs was better than. I only realized this after a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I'm convinced HD gets sub standard stock, even with "high" end names, such as Echo, Weber, Honda, etc. as compared to outlets that specialize with those brands.
When I was in the lumber business and couldn't figure out how Depot sold power tools so cheap, I was told by many suppliers that their tools were manufactured with cheaper parts than the tools I was getting. That was with major brands such as Milwalkee and others.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I bought a similar safe from Stack-on for about the same price and have no issues with the digital pad. It also came with a key backup

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
When I was in the lumber business and couldn't figure out how Depot sold power tools so cheap, I was told by many suppliers that their tools were manufactured with cheaper parts than the tools I was getting. That was with major brands such as Milwalkee and others.
Never thought that your suppliers were just feeding you BS?..... Home Depot and the like simply have bulk-buying power... and aren't paying the middleman's (your supplier) markup... I don't think Milwaukee and the like would risk their rep. by using lower quality parts in models that are likely to sell more units than your vendors...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Never thought that your suppliers were just feeding you BS?..... Home Depot and the like simply have bulk-buying power... and aren't paying the middleman's (your supplier) markup... I don't think Milwaukee and the like would risk their rep. by using lower quality parts in models that are likely to sell more units than your vendors...
Some of my larger contractors also told me they wont buy power tools from them anymore because of constant breakdowns. So in the end I did get some of my power tool business back. I'm just going by what I was told by 2 sides>

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
22,005 Posts
When researching a new snowblower I learned a few interesting things:
Most manufacturers use Chinese made engines built by a company called LCT.
Most snowblowers are built by a company called MTD, with each brand name specifying different features and colors.
For a company like Milwaukee or Ryobi to spec different features for sale to Home Depot or Lowe's is inherently stupid, and these companies aren't stupid.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Always check the model numbers. Many retailers get "exclusives" from manufacturers that are built to a lower spec so that they can be sold at cheaper prices.

Best Buy is known for this as well - less input ports, reduced resolution etc.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
My grill at Sears, metal knobs and cast irongrates, same model at hd, plastic knobs and enamel coated grates.

Hampton bay's light fixture, sockets screwed and can be replaced, hd riveted in so if one socket break s you need a new fixture. Etc etc etc.

When I redid my bathrooms, the c contract read nothing can be purchased from hd.

·
Banned
1,329 Posts
I can tell you that me and my brother in law both bought 7 1/2" worm drive skillsaws model hd77 the same day and the one from HD had bushings in it and the one bought at a Lumberyard had bearings in the same location

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I can tell you that me and my brother in law both bought 7 1/2" worm drive skillsaws model hd77 the same day and the one from HD had bushings in it and the one bought at a Lumberyard had bearings in the same location
That could be a production change - one may have been on the shelf a long time... Then there's the model... are you sure it wasn't hd77-A and hd77-Z ?

Took a minute and looked it up - Home Depot sold (discontinued) the SHD77M - I also looked up the parts schematic for that model - where are you seeing bushings? I see ball bearings listed at all the spinning points.

There is also a model HD77-17, HD77-02 and others....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts