Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Does anyone have a torque driver and/or a bore sighter for .223?

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ASSAULTFUN 
#1 ·
I need to torque down my screws for my scope/mount , want to do it right. Checked Home Depot the guy looked at me strange and then tried to sell me a $70 torque wrench. And while I'm asking to borrow/ help with I'd like to sight my scope in some what, can't get out to the range for a while.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Torque wrench for scope rings!? PAH! All you have to do is snug the bolts down evenly until they are very snug. I never used a torque wrench and have never dented a scope tube.
Is this a bolt rifle? If it is:
Remove bolt, for an AR remove upper.
Place on a bench or chair in a way you can secure it.
Set the scope to its lowest magnification.
Find a "target" through the barrel, then look through scope.
Adjust scope so the target in the barrel coincides with target in the scope.
Now your on paper at 50 yards or so.

#8 ·
I have a laser bore sighter for a .223, the one that looks like a round, goes in the chamber.

#11 ·
I agree with Will. NOT! That torque driver will be a $60 screwdriver sitting in a tool box for years, gathering dust.
Not every nut and bolt has to be tightened to micro precision, tighten the bolts and go shoot!
I'm one of those guys that shouldn't be allowed to touch a wrench. Everything I tighten is to tight, I break more than I fix. I've sheared the heads off the base screws, and the rings. I've broken the wrenches and stripped the heads. The torque wrench built for scope mounting for me was an invalueable tool. I would be in trouble all the time without it.

#14 ·
OK! OK! I surrender! Buy your torque wrenches, drivers, whatever!
I mount and remount scopes all the time and never had a problem. Maybe I just have a feel for when things are tight enough.

Righty=Tighty. Lefty=Loosey. What's the big deal...
With the focus (pun intended) on accuracy a torque wrench is the way to go. You can put any bit on the end of it, making it extremely useful. Accuracy is dependent on consistency, why put more variables into the equation? If a person is self proclaimed as making things too tight and shearing off screws, a torque wrench with the correct specs for the hardware is critical. When "Torque to yield" became widespread form of measuring it became vital to have a torque wrench. Have I put together engines etc. with a Pneumatic impact gun? Sure. Did they work? Yes. Would I do it now? No chance.

#19 ·
Each scope mount, riser, adapter or whatever has recommended torque settings from the manufacurer, i.e. Burris Signature rings have recommended top screw torque of 18-25 in/lbs and mounting screw torque of 35 lbs.

Additionally, each rifle that has receiver/stock screws have different recommended torque settings.

I use my torque driver frequently. It is most handy when removing a barreled receiver from the stock for cleaning of chamber and bore to avoid damage to the stock during same. I have one rifle that manufacturer recommends 45 in/lbs for the action screws and a few others with recommended torque setting anywhere from 16-25 in/lbs depending on the rifle.

One surely wouldn't want to wind up tightening up the top ring on a mount to the point of bending the scope tube or over or under tightening the action screws which will be sure to adversely affect accuracy. Pillaring the action screws will eliminate the overtightening aspect but not undertightening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.