Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new daily driver. I put a lot of miles on my car. I did over 36,000 last year. I was thinking of switching to a diesel (VW or Audi) for my daily driver. The price isn't much different for the models I have been looking at as compared to the gas versions. My biggest worry is just finding a gas station that has diesel when I need to fill up. I just wanted to see if anyone here is driving a diesel and what their experiences are. Any input would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
my brother has the diesel jetta and likes it. he drive a lot and it does save him fuel. the torque is amazing. he says he never has a issue finding fuel. his 2011 or 2012 is the last generation to not have a urea tank which is nice to not have to worry about filling it. i think newer models have it now and use the torsion beam rear suspension for space for the tank, i read somewhere

my brother is getting tired of the constant check engine light though

the other option is the chevy cruze which has not had much promotion but exists, i have not heard anything bad about them. only thing i can say bad is that they delete the spare tire for space to put the urea tank. personally, i do not buy cars without a spare tire.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
I used to drive diesel when we lived in Italy. I loved it. The mileage I got out of a tank of diesel was impressive. As far as I can tell, almost every gas station on LI has diesel. I am sure that the technology has changed dramatically in the last 10 years, but at that time there was a significant difference between diesel and turbo diesel vehicles. Mine was turbo diesel and it started and operated just like a regular car but with much better mileage. The regular diesel car (at that time) was a bit different to start. You had to turn the key once, wait, than turn it all the way. But, as I said, I think that is now history.

·
Runs with scissors
1,754 Posts
my brother has the diesel jetta and likes it. he drive a lot and it does save him fuel. the torque is amazing. he says he never has a issue finding fuel. his 2011 or 2012 is the last generation to not have a urea tank which is nice to not have to worry about filling it. i think newer models have it now and use the torsion beam rear suspension for space for the tank, i read somewhere

my brother is getting tired of the constant check engine light though

the other option is the chevy cruze which has not had much promotion but exists, i have not heard anything bad about them. only thing i can say bad is that they delete the spare tire for space to put the urea tank. personally, i do not buy cars without a spare tire.
Stay away from Chevy Cruise, gas or otherwise. My mom has it and it is a nightmare of a car. Maybe they improved in the last year, and worked out kinks, but between recalls and things going wrong, her car spent more time in the shop than on the road in the first six months.

·
Premium Member
6,792 Posts
I just got off the phone with my buddy, figured I would ask his thoughts. He said the reason you dont have so many small diesels here is that we dont refine our diesel in the US as well as they do in Europe or Asia, so it's much harder to get the smaller, low compression diesel engines to run properly on the fuel available here.

·
Banned
7,706 Posts
Most people driving diesel cars, love them. Fuel economy is a lot better and the engine is smaller with more torque. There are no issue with finding of gas stations. If you go to Europe, 90% of the cars are diesels. When you pull into a gas station over there, if there are 10 pumps, 8 will be diesel only and 2 for gasoline cars.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
My neighbor drives a Chevy p/u with a diesel. He loves it & said he only buys vehicles w/ a diesel engine.

A few yrs ago he leased a VW jetta TDI for his wife. They liked it so much that they brought a new VW jetta TDI when their lease was up.

(Diesel can be found at most if not all the gas sta's around here & at all gas sta's on the hwy.)

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
My brother also has the Jetta TDI after getting positive reviews from my uncle whose owned 2 in the past and still leases them. He loves it and he loves the gas mileage he gets. They both say they are getting great gas mileage and also getting less speeding tickets because they drive more conservative to keep their gas mileage high. So you save in speeding tickets and gas...HAHAHA. My brother lives in Nassau and has no problem finding diesel. My brother also likes that some parking lots and stores have parking designated for Diesel and electric cars closer to the store front.

·
Premium Member
5,422 Posts
I had a Volkswagen Toureg diesel 2010 it was a very nice suv and drive extremely nice and towed like a beast. When it got over 75000 miles it started getting a problem that would not start and it would just crank. I took it to the shop numerous times and it was never fixed and it left stranded for up to a half hour at a time. I ended up selling it because of that but i did really enjoy the vehicle up until that problem. Too many computers on those Touregs.

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts
I have a 2012 jetta tdi. I love it. I get great mileage. The only problem that I've had was a fualty exhaust valve on the exhaust. It was covered under warranty. Nitroscope here hooked me up fixing it. I drive a lot in a year and the gas I save from filling up my jeep makes my payment for me. Go test drive one you will be happy.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.