1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I have a stock Jeep Cherokee that I would like to take off road.  I don't have the money or the skills to upgrade it so it would have to be mild trails.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im talking beaches for now.. Nice and simple!

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
I take mine on the beach do a lot of surf fishing and all so i go up state hunting or just for a ride and use it there when riding in the mountains on my buddy's land

G

·
going out on the beaches could always be alot of fun, just got a 09 dodge ram 1500 curious to see how it handles on the beach this year

·
Registered
710 Posts
I have a 98 Durango and I keep it as far away from salt water as humanly possible. I use it mostly for hauling stuff (I have to retail stores) and for bad weather. It gets about 9 MPG, but it's paid for and the insurance is cheap enough to keep it as a utility vehicle. I always like having a spare vehicle incase I have to do repairs on one of mt daily drivers.

-Jim

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Mine:
01 Nissan Xterra heavily modded on 35" tires
color is Salsa (thus the screename)
Founder of Long Island Nissan Xterras Club
www.linxc.com

Wife:
07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
lifted on 33's, skids, sliders, tire carrier.

We've taken both truck wheeling off the island.
My truck has seen Paragon, Rausch Creek, Moab, Upstate NY trails, Ma. Trails, etc..
Wife's Jeep was wheeled upstate a bit.
Both have the 4wd Beach fishing permits every year and are regulars at Gilgo, Sore Thumb and Demo Pt.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O1SalsaX said:
Mine:
01 Nissan Xterra heavily modded on 35" tires
color is Salsa (thus the screename)
Founder of Long Island Nissan Xterras Club
www.linxc.com

Wife:
07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
lifted on 33's, skids, sliders, tire carrier.

We've taken both truck wheeling off the island.
My truck has seen Paragon, Rausch Creek, Moab, Upstate NY trails, Ma. Trails, etc..
Wife's Jeep was wheeled upstate a bit.
Both have the 4wd Beach fishing permits every year and are regulars at Gilgo, Sore Thumb and Demo Pt.
Terrific!

Do you CB as well?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have a Tahoe with a blown transfer case and locked up driveline...
I have a 4x4 pickup now that's supposed to be my 3rd vehicle and toy truck.

Salsa, do you ever drive that truck around town? I think I've seen it in your area.

I don't like beach wheeling on the Island unless it's a rockier area (can't stand cleaning out the sand and fear the salt water), but before my kid brother went off to boot camp, he was a Jeep nut and used to show me all sorts of "secret" places around LI. He flipped and jumped his Trooper multiple times around unauthorized wheeling spots on the island. He took much better care of his Jeeps, but always came home with them covered in mud.

The only non-beach place I did some mild wheeling on my own on LI was on some highly dangerous and polluted land that people should not be on...

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
RobR said:
I have a Tahoe with a blown transfer case and locked up driveline...
I have a 4x4 pickup now that's supposed to be my 3rd vehicle and toy truck.

Salsa, do you ever drive that truck around town? I think I've seen it in your area.

I don't like beach wheeling on the Island unless it's a rockier area (can't stand cleaning out the sand and fear the salt water), but before my kid brother went off to boot camp, he was a Jeep nut and used to show me all sorts of "secret" places around LI. He flipped and jumped his Trooper multiple times around unauthorized wheeling spots on the island. He took much better care of his Jeeps, but always came home with them covered in mud.
Hey Rob,
Please don't post the locations of any illegal trails.
Most law enforcement agencies know of them already and will ticket or even impound vehicles, especially in a place like what you described.

I have no doubt you've seen my truck around the area.
I used to work right on a main road and park in front.
It's also pretty much a rolling billboard at this point from sponsors. LOL

I'm currently rebuilding the motor due to the head gasket issues I've had since 20k miles.

And after that, it's going under the knife for a Solid Axle Swap.
Dana 44 solid axle from a 1979 F250, 4.56 gears, locker, with new leaf spring front suspension.
No more IFS finally. :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
No problem.

Sounds like you're pretty hardcore... :D
I was when I had my K5, thought I'd get back into it when I got a K20, but just found better things to spend money on when the wheeling trips had to become giant trips out of state. It's fine before kids, but when you're toting them around with a wife that's not gung-ho on it with you, it can be less fun than it's supposed to be.

·
The Sysop
36,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
12 is a great number keep the members coming and Ill do CB giveaways for FREE!

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
On local beaches is where I do most offroading, since there is very little other legal land for driving offroad. The Jeep is good for doing marine science research since I can drive down sections of beach along the north shore, I really need wider tires though, the 10.5 BFGs on a 4500lb truck don't give as much flotation as I'd like. I have a '79 Cherokee with nice fat 11.5 tires and a three speed, need to get it back on the road, it's a perfect beach Jeep, it's so rusted it doesn't matter anymore, lol. There is a trail in Calverton that to my knowledge, is legal to drive down so long as you stay on the main trail and do not go on any of the side trails, it goes behind the range but it's a good distance away. Someone really needs to buy land at EPCal or something and open an ORV park.

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
I have a Honda Pilot, ... not exactly a dune-buggy or rock-crawler. But I do sometimes drive on sidewalks and over curbs. Is that off-roading?

·
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
1,650 Posts
07  trailblazer,  and tahoe   on beaches  but if the price of permit keeps goin up dont think i will be getting it  every year it goes up 10 bucks  and like everything else so many new rules every year

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Don't forget that there is a new DEC (marine) Saltwater fishing license now.
It's only a matter of time before they start enforcing that as well along the beach.
Might get rid of some of those people that DONT FISH and take up whatever little space is left on the beach.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.