Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to freeport range sat night about 9:30.

went to shoot my g41 glock 45 cal

shot about 8 rounds then the gun has a loaded case and it will not go into battery.

i also cannot pull the slide back it was stuck.

after fiddling with it for about 15 minutes i get it into battery shoot the round of.

so then i take it apart and use the barrel as a case gauge. a few bullets do not go in smoothly. but 95 percent did.

continued shooting about 200 rounds and went home.

turns out a bullet drops beautifully in the case gauge but shows a bit of resistance in the barrel.

a lot of bullets that did not fit in the case gauge worked perfectly when using the barrel.

moral is just use the barrel not the case gauge. at least for me.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
Are you using a U die to remove the bulge? My cases gauges are tighter than the barrel and don't work so great with ammo loaded long. I use the barrel plunk test for ammo used in matches only.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Should have bought a 1911. Or an HK. Or a Sig. Or a Walther. Or a Smith.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The plunk test works well if you have one gun or, as Edward_Blake above said, doing it for a match. If you are loading for 20, 30, 40 or more guns that you have, it is an impossibility! I use an EGW U-Die and a Shockbottle 100 round case gauge for all my .9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP. The Shockbottle 100 round gauge is less forgiving than the single Dillon case guage that I have. Any round that does not drop in flush, goes to a different pile. Most of those rounds will still chamber in any gun but, better to be safe than sorry. The rounds that do not drop in can then be "plunk" tested for a specific (more tolerant chamber) gun when you want to shoot them.

·
INFIDEL
7,237 Posts
LEE factory crimp die has a sizing ring that will size the cartridge to specs. If the case bulges a little dring seating or crimping..

Reactions: havfun
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.