Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
what
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Town of brookhaven, i need to replace the drafty pos door from my house to the garage. Its an old metal frame door. Do i need a fire rated door in brookhaven or can i save $150 and get a regular steel entry door?

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
fire rated self closing

·
That Guy
11,504 Posts
I believe you need a fire rated door.

Now speaking as a firefighter don't cheap out its your familys life. I can tell you from experience car fires in the garage are nasty by the time the smoke detector goes off in the house the car is most of the time roaring that fire door isn't going to last much longer but hopeful long enough for all of you to get out. A none fire rated door will fail a lot faster the then a fire rated one.

·
Registered
11,571 Posts
Some things you don't want to cheap out on - Helmets, Eye protection, Safes, Fire doors...etc.

·
what
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I dont even keep my car in the garage. Its just storage and a home gym. Theres no way im putting that ugly Butt self closer in the foyer, but i guess ill get a fire rated door.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I dont even keep my car in the garage. Its just storage and a home gym. Theres no way im putting that ugly Butt self closer in the foyer, but i guess ill get a fire rated door.

You can get get a door hinge with a spring. The commercial building self closer should't be required (though it would keep it from slamming.

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,002 Posts
Since this thread is up and running, I have the same issue in the Town of Oyster Bay. Anybody know the requirements there? My garage door enters into my dining room and I don't want an ugly industrial door in that area, if possible.

·
Sharp Shooter!
668 Posts
Town of brookhaven, i need to replace the drafty pos door from my house to the garage. Its an old metal frame door. Do i need a fire rated door in brookhaven or can i save $150 and get a regular steel entry door?

Not sure why you would need to have the town involved in replacing the door unless it's a part of a larger project, but yes, fire rated door is required from your house to the garage in brookhaven.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have an oak veneer fire rated door. I stained the oak. It looks beautiful, and it's fire rated. Cost me $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes you need a Fire Rated door as A none fire rated door will fail a lot faster the then a fire rated one.If you find information about how much fire door installation cost then there are lots of companies that provide fire doors services. Edwin Discount Doors and windows is on of them . You can contact them for free cost estimate
Door Orange Fixture Building Gas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts