Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make their own and can you recommend where to get the materials? I love my Bravo Concealment holster, but not the price. I also like the idea of making mag holders rather than shelling out big bucks for them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I get my Kydex from knifekits.com , I use their foam for my press as well which has held up for the past 10 projects but is showing signs that it needs to be replaced. I made my own kydex press and would highly recommend doing it yourself, just don't tell your wife why the oven smells funny.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,727 Posts
+1 for knife kits. Get a cheapo toaster Oven dedicated to the job too as well as an infrared thermometer. The magic number for me is 360* then work quick. Some good clamps are also neccecary. I prefer a few large c clamps over the Irwin quick grips. They make a tighter press.

Attachments

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
+1 for knife kits. Get a cheapo toaster Oven dedicated to the job too as well as an infrared thermometer. The magic number for me is 260* then work quick. Some good clamps are also neccecary. I prefer a few large c clamps over the Irwin quick grips. They make a tighter press.
You are thermoforming it way too cold. You should be between about 350F to 400F degrees depending on the thickness of the material- at is should get a chance to heat soak, a bigger oven provides better temperature stability than a toaster oven. For really challenging stuff, it may help to try heating it in a mineral oil bath. I'd suggest you read the TD spec guide for Kydex, as it's different from ABS. There is some good stuff in there.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
Knifekits.com is definitely the place to go. And 350*F or a little higher is definitely the right temp. Kitchen oven is best if you can use it. Temp is stable and if you need to reheat the Kydex, due to a botch job, you can go right back in and start again.

Ultimately, if you're not making quite a few holsters, it's not really worth it from an economy standpoint once you figure in time spent learning and f'ing up. If you're doing it "just because" or plan on selling them then it's cool.

My first holster, G22 w/TLR-4, left-handed for my wife.

Wood Bag Revolver Luggage and bags Automotive exterior

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I'll check out knifekits. I figure it's worth a try rather than spend all my money on holsters and mag holders. Malakaguy, thanks for the offer. I'm near Huntington and may check in with you as I progress.

·
Giraffe Hunter
3,727 Posts
You are thermoforming it way too cold. You should be between about 350F to 400F degrees depending on the thickness of the material- at is should get a chance to heat soak, a bigger oven provides better temperature stability than a toaster oven. For really challenging stuff, it may help to try heating it in a mineral oil bath. I'd suggest you read the TD spec guide for Kydex, as it's different from ABS. There is some good stuff in there.
Finger slipped... Fixed it for you... 360*

Rotating the piece while heating solves the non uniform temp issue. Not sure anyone is going to build a kydex deep fryer.. Kinda messy id imagine.

·
The Artist formally known as AR_Guy
6,875 Posts
I've made a few holsters. They require a good amount of effort if you want them to turn out right. I block my ejection port to reduce wear on the slide.

·
Anti-Statist
5,336 Posts
I've got a homemade vacuum table and I use a toaster oven from Walmart. Get my kydex as distributor samples through work from the sales guy in NJ or just amazon

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Finger slipped... Fixed it for you... 360*

Rotating the piece while heating solves the non uniform temp issue. Not sure anyone is going to build a kydex deep fryer.. Kinda messy id imagine.
The 360 figure makes a lot more sense! I had to make a deep drawn bezel that looked sort of like a rectangular change dish with the bottom cut out, so I had to read the TD manual. Well, after a few tries it dawned on me RTFM might be a good idea!

Still, I had a recurring problem of hot tearing on the inside corners of the draw, ended up getting better results printing the part on my FDM machine out of ABS instead.

According to the Kydex people, a sandwich press is the preferred heating method- pig blankets for bending electrical conduit may also work. there's lots of ways to skin a cat- as long as the the cat's hot enough!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a 4 by 8 sheet of kydex and will never use it all, will sell some of it a lot cheaper that you can get it from knife kits. If you want to buy it there is a place in Westbury that sells it by the sheet. I made a vacuum and a clam shell press to make my holsters.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
I bought a 4 by 8 sheet of kydex and will never use it all, will sell some of it a lot cheaper that you can get it from knife kits. If you want to buy it there is a place in Westbury that sells it by the sheet. I made a vacuum and a clam shell press to make my holsters.
Welcome to LIF edmatu! Be sure to go The Welcome Mat and introduce yourself.

I have a ton of questions...What color and thickness is the Kydex that you have? What is the place in Westbury? Can you post a pic of you vacuum table? We all like to see the innovative ways that members do things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I buy the kydex from amazon. For the heating I use an old toaster oven. And for the forming, I use a FoodSaver vacuum bag. I cut small pieces of wood to fit in the places where I don't want the kydex to mold, like the ejection port, and and to make a sight channel.

·
airbrushart
5,503 Posts
I use knifekits.com, holstersmiths.com, usaknifekits.com, holstersmiths have color kydex if interested, also look at infused kydex it has a leather look to it.
Buy a cheap toaster oven off of craigs list or a second hand store.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.