Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
III%
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so there are tons of handguns and tons of lasers and lights on the market and when you mix and match, the combos are endless. If you can find a company that
makes a holster for your gun and your laser/light combo, play lotto !! Its your lucky day!

I didnt want to buy a one size fits most, crap holster for $19.95 on ebay that is like carrying your prized possesion in a walmart bag. So i started doing some homework, watched
20hrs. of youtube videos and decided to give it a try.

I ordered the kydex , it was $4.90 for a 1'x1' sheet , i got 4 just in case. I only used half of one sheet.

For my first try I wanted to make a holster that would be compatable with my Blackhawk CQC Serpa gear. This way
I could use the paddle and leg harness I already have.

It took 3 hrs. to make. The fit is perfect , retension is great , I can hold it upside down and shake it without it coming out and yet it still draws quick.

I'm really happy with my first attempt at this and I'm sure I can make one even better the next time.
If you are in the same same boat as I was , I highly reccomend giving this a try!!
Chris

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
What did you use to heat the kydex? How did you form it?

·
III%
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I heated it in the oven then I used a zip lock bag connected to to my shop vac and vaccum formed it. Once it was close I used a heat gun
for the final fitting.
Because of the laser/light you cant get much detail in the holster but for just the gun itself you can make it fit like a glove .

you cant really tell in the pictures but the holster is formed perfect and is real snug, I lined the inside of the holster with mole skin too.

·
Premium Member
2,287 Posts
Fascinating. Thanks. Let me know when you start taking orders.

·
III%
2,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
working on mag holders for the P30 and the AR15 next !

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
Hey all! This post originally from Babaloo kind of got me going on my research on DIY Kydex Holsters. I just purchased a FNP9 a little over a month ago and realized there are not many choices for a left handed shooter as myself with this model handgun. I did some research and fielded my options. I went with a heavy gauge Kydex sheet (E-bay, $12) I had an existing belt clip from a CRKT knife sheath that cracked and I bought a set of six Chicago screws in anodized Black from Optics Planet (Under $10). I heated the sheet in a toaster over and molded it by hand with gloves on, I am at a natural advantage seeing as I am a chef and have a higher threshold for heat in my hands. I drilled the holes where I wanted the screws to go, attached the belt loop and then shaped the holster with a belt sander. I turned out surprisingly well for a first try and the gun is nice and snug! I urge people to try this if you like small 2 hour projects for a rainy day.
~Paul
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

·
1,359 Posts
It's my first handgun personally, not the first one I've shot, but boy is it great. Stan from SSS suggested and let my fondle a bunch of other black guns before I decided on this...Beretta 92FS up next!  Affordable to boot!

·
Banned
6,853 Posts
Paul, the holster came out good. I would have made it cover the trigger guard and mag release a bit more, but still looks functional.

·
Registered
883 Posts
I've been making kydex holsters and sheaths for fun for about ten years. If you factor in the cost of a few holsters investing in the kydex, the foam, hardware etc is pretty cheap.

·
1,359 Posts
Jake said:
Paul, the holster came out good. I would have made it cover the trigger guard and mag release a bit more, but still looks functional.
I have a universal holster I bought from UTG that covers the whole deal up to grip itself, and I have had a hard time gripping and shooting once I clear the holster. I measured to make sure the trigger was not exposed and this way I have my grip right out the gates with finger outside of trigger guard, ready to go. I wasn't sure where, but I remember some tactical shooters using holsters that looked like they just held the muzzle and a small portion of the trigger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts