Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doing my first brew. Decided to keep it simple and do an extract brew. Also, I figured I'd only use one type of hop so I can learn it's characteristics. I wound up going with a $60 kit from Karps for the equipment.

Recipe is attached

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
Now the hard part: Waiting.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
probably about 6 weeks.. That's a long time to wait to see if I screwed it up, but should be fun either way.

I have a few weeks to start working on my kegerator project. Hopefully I can have it done in the next few weeks so I don't have to bottle it... that sounds like a pain in the @ass.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Keep us posted!!

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
Yeah IPAs are supposed to have a long shelf life, so you really need to let it condition for a long time. I am working on getting my set up together. I want to start off with a small batch of mead.

·
Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?
11,589 Posts
boke said:
Yeah IPAs are supposed to have a long shelf life, so you really need to let it condition for a long time. I am working on getting my set up together. I want to start off with a small batch of mead.
I've got a friend who has been making mead for a while....some real kick ass stuff! & pretty easy too!

He sent me a link for an easy do-it-yourself I'll try to find it.

(Sorry didn't mean to HJ)

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just had my first boil-over.. thankfully it wasn't too bad.  clean up is almost done.  Thankfully I could switch burners and keep it going w/o baking the other crap on to the range

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
From what I have been told, you are not really brewing until you've had a boilover, heheheh. ;-)

Seriously, it sounds like we need to get an LIF Homebrew Club going...

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
free2scour said:
From what I have been told, you are not really brewing until you've had a boilover, heheheh. ;-)

Seriously, it sounds like we need to get an LIF Homebrew Club going...
it's funny I have probably brewed well over 100 different batches and never once had a boil over! An LIF team homebrew would be great....maybe we can buddy up with Zen's wing contest and make sure the guns are locked away! ;)

·
Husband, Father, Chef, Gun Guy
1,359 Posts
boke said:
Yeah mead is basically water honey and yeast. When we going to have a LIF homebrew party?
You left out the bittering agent, which I always thought was cool: Spruce! Needles or essence in place of the beer counterpart hops!

·
Tallest Midget
3,337 Posts
PaulyFu223 said:
You left out the bittering agent, which I always thought was cool: Spruce! Needles or essence in place of the beer counterpart hops!
hmm a lot of recipies I have seen seem to leave that out

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
never had mead.. any good?

I'd be down for a LIF homebrew bottle trade one night. my preference is hoppy beers but I'm always open to new flavors.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
PaulyFu223 said:
Efreem and I tried that once. We let the bottles sit just in case it needed aging, but all went down the kitchen sink. Hops are fantastic though, I grow Cascades like weeds, and I'm trying to get the Williamettes to actually produce.

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So.. about sixteen hours in and no airlock bubbling yet.  I know it may be early and possibly might not ever see bubbling.. but it would be nice to see.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
What's the temperature where you are fermenting?  If your "bucket" is on a concrete basement floor, it may be too cool.....just checkin'

·
Premium Member
7,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it fluctuates between 65-70 in my kitchen where it is living right now.  That being said.. the floor where it is sitting can get very cold (not insulated properly) so I stacked it on another bucket so only the air temp affects it

·
OathKeeper/NRA Life Member/Instructor/Appleseed Sh
1,690 Posts
peteinsuffolk said:
doing my first brew. Decided to keep it simple and do an extract brew. Also, I figured I'd only use one type of hop so I can learn it's characteristics. I wound up going with a $60 kit from Karps for the equipment.

Recipe is attached
IPA make me Hoppy! :beer

CH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts