Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the difference between the Tikka, Weatherby Vanguard and Savage 308 bolt action rifles?  They are all around $500.  Which one would you choose and why?  Thx

·
Banned
594 Posts
The Weatherby Vanguard which has been selling for around $400 at Walmart and can't compare to the older Weatherby Vanguards which have beautiful wood and bluing. If you can find an older Weatherby Vanguard I would pick that. The Savage is my choice because it's very accurate.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
The Weatherby Vanguards are pretty much rebadged Howa 1500's, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but the actions are not made by Weatherby.

As far as accuracy for the buck, Savage is hard to beat.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
I don't know if you're looking at a wooden stock or a fiberglass stock Vanguard, but the last fiberglass stock one that came in felt very flimsy. I like some weight to my rifles.

Lots of people like the Savages. We have one in .223 that shoots very well.

I have had a few Tikka's come through here, and from inspection and feel it felt like a quality rifle to me. I know nothing about how well they perform.....but a long time ago I learned to not by something outside the box from a manufacturer.....like a semi auto shotgun from S & W or a bolt action rifle from Browning. Maybe I just saw the few rare cases.....but bolt action rifles were never Beretta's bread and butter. Hopefully I'm wrong and someone else can chime in.

-Vick

·
Sifting Through the Ruins
8,073 Posts
Savage is to my knowledge built by Americans. Their employment adds to the tax base of their respective communities and our country.

Oh. And the average Savage will outshoot either rifle from here to eternity.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
As someone who has had a long lust affair with Sako bolt actions, I'd look pretty hard at the Tikka.
I can't offer a real world opinion as I have not looked closely at them, but they'd garner a close look if it were me.
They're both imported by Beretta and Sako and Tikka merged some years back.
But you can never go wrong with Savage's accutrigger and they're better rifles are some mighty fine sticks.
I'd avoid the Weatherby, but that's just me.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have both savages and a tikka , the tikka has a great trigger adjustable trigger and is very accurate, one of the best out of the
box i have ever had . Also have a vangaurd but its 20 years old and it would not be fair to judge it. :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have the tikka t3 and a savage 110 the only thing that i did not like about the tikka is the plastic stock , the tikka will out
shoot the savage every time the savage is glass bedded and the trigger was done the tikka has a new laminate stock that i got from hemlick arms,I adjusted the tikkas trigger to about 2 and a half pounds Last time at calverton it shot in the half to 5/8 it does not :)have a varmit weight barrel its the t3lite.The savage i have is
a 110 cl it has a clip have it since the 80s good gun and accurate.Another off the shelf very accurate rifle is cz s line. a little more in price but well worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no experience with the weatherby, and did take a look at the savage but went with the tikka t3 lite stainless for its light weight and MOA claim which it has lived up to.
As to the post regarding browning rifles I own 7 and all are proven under MOA shooters wish I could say the same for my remingtons Good luck

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
The Savage has the Accutrigger, a semi floating bolt face, and a Pillar Bedded stock.

Hands down winner, IMO.

Edited to add:

Oops, just noticed that you didn't specify which Savage- I was speaking of the model 10, which comes in a bit higher than US$500.00.

·
Banned
19,574 Posts
grifhunter said:
Savage is to my knowledge built by Americans. Their employment adds to the tax base of their respective communities and our country.

Oh. And the average Savage will outshoot either rifle from here to eternity.
On the first part of this: True, and that may be the "difference", but on the other hand the Finns are really serious about shooting and QC as a culture. From Fiskkars and Suunto to Valmet and Patria. I am with you and tend to buy American even if there is a possibly better import car, but there may be better import guns as well.

On the second part of your post- I disagree. For one thing, there is some variability in each firearm as a product of manufactruring tolerances, so I don't believe it's possible to truthfully and categorically state "Model X shoots better than Model Y" unless you are comparing guns across a wider price point.

You can compare design or features, but some guns might be 55"(secs)OA and some guns might be 30"(secs)OA, and they could have consecutive serial numbers. Unless the manufactrurer reclassifies these by "grading" or rejecting those that do not meet a defined spec then there are really no guarantees. Lastly, metal changes shape over time- steel does it to an extent, and cast iron does it notoriously. This is called "seasoning", and what shoots 15" at the factory might not six months later (and the converse is also true).

I say pick the features and fit you want and go from there. You read one interwebz article with two guns in a benchrest shootout, and read another one and the data does not mean a whole lot. And if the guns the reviewer got were "testers" it means even less.

Well, IMO anyway- but I know how some of this BS works.

·
Registered
5,575 Posts
I've used the savage and the howa (weatherby under a differnt logo), both were great for the price. The Savage was more accurate I think out of the box, but did not feel as good in the hands, so I ended up getting a howa and accurizing it for a little more $. I suppose the exact opposite could be done just as effectively- Just buy a Savage and get a nice stock.

Can't speak for the tikka... but I thought those cost more?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Another +1 for the Savage. I picked up a Model 10 fcp-k this summer. It's my first bolt action rifle and it's definitely the most fun to shoot out of all my rifles. The accustock is nice and the accutrigger is adjustable from 2-8 pounds of pull and is pretty easy to adjust. The accutrigger has really nice feel too it and is much better to the M16/M4s I'm used to shooting. Another nice thing about the savage (atleast mine) is there is a 3rd lug and a wedge that firmly seats the action into the stock.

I shot the group below my first time out with surplus 7.62x51 at 100 yards. I don't have a picture of my target at 200 yards but it grouped very similarly!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.