Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all - I just recently started up my 1995 Larson with twin 5.0 Mercruisers for the first time this season. After about 5 minutes away from the dock, which followed a 10 minute warm up period at the dock, i notice the starboard RPM gauge needle drop a bit, and I heard a loud knocking in the starboard engine. I shut down, and checked around for leaks, checked oil level, etc..., all seemed fine. I started back up and heard the loud engine knock again, like a piston slapping. I shut it down and I finished on to my destination on the port engine alone, although it was a pain to steer due to the power steering pump being on the shut down engine.

When my yard looks at it they say the main bearing, or lower bearing is shot and the piston rod is hitting the cylinder. It needs to be replaced with a rebuilt motor, for a total cost of about $7,000.
Last season they removed the starboard engine to put a new flywheel and new starter, and removed and replaced the oil pan due to rusting issues. I used it for three months after that job with no problem.

My question is - could anything that they did during that job last year cause the bearing to go? Or could anything they did wrong during winterization have caused it? They have screwed up so many minor jobs on my boat in the last two seasons, causing multiple comebacks to correct, including improperly winterizing some waste hoses and a transom shower wand that then needed replacing.

Also, does that price for an engine replacement on this boat seem about right for the New York ?

In addition, could I run it like that with he loud knock till it dies, since I am replacing it anyway, or could there be a catastrophic failure that might be dangerous to the boat out on the water.

Thanks for your advice.

·
Be vewwy qwuiet, I'm hunting Giwaffes...
5,857 Posts
Kind of tough to say, especially because you used it for 3 mos after with no issues. Could have been something they did, but likely not. How's that for a non-committal answer?!

I doubt very much that the rod is hitting the cylinder... the motor wouldn't run for very long after that happens. Don't use that motor though. It sounds like it's toast.

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
What was the oil pressure reading like before and during? What does the oil look like? color, consistency etc..What is/ was the oil level? If the marina did something, it would of made itself known right away. There is a very thin film of oil that rides in between the rod bearing and the journal. If there is a lack of oil or pressure, the film goes away and the bearing contacts the journal. Once that happens the crank and rod contact, knock together and eventually become egg shaped

·
Banned
785 Posts
Other than that, the boat is mint for its age. The prior (original) owner was an anal, old geezer about 78 years old. He took great care of it, he would probably die if he saw how I keep it. The surveyor said it was in great shape for its age. I figure I can't get a 29 foot boat for the money that a reman engine job cost. Even if I eventually have to do two. The electric head and hot water tank are new. Years back it had the aluminum gas tank replaced under a recall. It is in pretty good shape as far as everything else goes. But I am probably looking to change marinas. They screw up too much on most jobs they do. Last year, they even pumped a few gallons of fuel into my waste tank when i asked for a pump out while filling up at the gas dock. I told the guy " what the hell you doing, I don't have two tanks!" He switched over to the pump out hose and sucked out the fuel, but i lost even more confidence in their service. Does anyone have an opinion on Lighthouse marina in jamesport. I am thinking of switching to them.

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Just remember -

The two best days of a boat owners life are: The day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Replacement cost sounds about average, but for a 95? Money better spent on a newer boat.

Reactions: Scrappy.NY

·
Banned
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What was the oil pressure reading like before and during? What does the oil look like? color, consistency etc..What is/ was the oil level? If the marina did something, it would of made itself known right away. There is a very thin film of oil that rides in between the rod bearing and the journal. If there is a lack of oil or pressure, the film goes away and the bearing contacts the journal. Once that happens the crank and rod contact, knock together and eventually become egg shaped
Oil looked clean. It was the first run of the season. Level was fine. It was put in the water in June, and started by them to go from the ramp to my slip. It sat a month while I tended to other things, then I started it this past weekend. It ran fine for about 10 minutes before I pulled out of the slip. 5 minutes out in the bay I heard the knocking as I saw the RPM level drop on the synchronizer. I just thought it was more than a coincidence that the same engine they removed last year for work is the same one that has the issue. I am waiting for a callback from the service department of the other local marina to see what they would charge.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.