Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious but why is that decrepit crochety old fart back in the lodge always such a miserable ass and more importantly does he always get away with it because he ends each sentence with, "sir"? I mean geez if you hate your job and evidently your life that much do something about it. look on the wall behind you for inspiration. :p [for the record the previous is sarcasm. the robfather in no way endorses or recommends suicide as an option to any problem]

frankly i don't really care about the place beyond perhaps reading the article online if it burned to the ground but i feel it my civic duty to call out all of the asses in our society today.

this may be a very very very long thread lol. ;)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I go to the one in Roosevelt field, usually a younger group working that area and mostly pretty helpful. If its busy you'll wait, but usually its not.

Dick's is a chain store though, a few complaints to his manager and his tune will change (or be changed for him).

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Mo is a little Grumpy...

Ask for Don or Dave. Don's a nice guy, very pro 2A, a hunter and knowledgeable.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
BirdistheWord said:
I go to the one in Roosevelt field, usually a younger group working that area and mostly pretty helpful. If its busy you'll wait, but usually its not.

Dick's is a chain store though, a few complaints to his manager and his tune will change (or be changed for him).
I called the store manager couple of times and I only got the scripted apology.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh i'm not really concerned about the place. don't want to get anything done or changed. again i pass in when i'm in the area which is very rare. doug at campsite has most of my money. as a serial people watcher though this guy mo is just such an interesting character. from his unkempt presentation to his incredibly miserable air about him that he seems to suffer with daily he's just a strange egg. everything seems to bother him to his core. a price check on a jacket he's upset that people are ripping tags off items. a question on rounds he's upset he can't find the cartridge on the rack. the guy just seems that one day he's going to explode.

for the record the few, read less than 4 times, i've bought anything there the people are always nice. the pony tail kid is particularly decent. this poor mo though. wow. big time ouchie there.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I've dealt with everyone in that department and there are definite favorites.
Mo is definitely an interesting character, but I've never had any issues with him.
Even after drooling over the same Benelli Super Nova for a long time and not buying it. :(
He never gave me an attitude at all.

Maybe you caught him on a bad, I hate my job, I hate customers, day.. LOL
We've all had them.

·
moved to greener pastures
10,857 Posts
A little sensitive today, eh Rob?
Serial people watching will have you losing fath in humanity. Better to walk the dog.
But to throw a log on the fire, I left Dicks in Huntington with the same impression on my last visit, a couple of months ago.
My last Dicks venture was to the one on 25, next to the Smithhaven mall and it was all love and light!
Salesman was attentive, helpful, decent to talk to and guess what - he got my dollars!

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I just wish that Campsite carried some Archery stuff.
Anything firearm related I really try my best to go to Campsite,

Oh the "pony tail kid" is Don

·
You Are the Resistance.
3,600 Posts
Huh. I thought that guy just didn't like me.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Zen Buddha said:
I called the store manager couple of times and I only got the scripted apology.
There's a reason for that. I worked retail for a number of years. The typical retail manager is making a dollar more per hour than the drone about whom you've called to complain, and he/she/it doesn't care about your problem either. The manager's function is not to think or solve problems, but rather to be a "complaint receptacle", and to enforce "company protocol". In other words, they are to recite the scripted apology to which you referred in an attempt to give the impression to the customer that someone actually gives a damn. Mostly it works. How many times has someone told you a swashbuckling story about how they "stood up to the man" and asked to speak to a manager? Despite the company wide overhaul that the storyteller is certain they've set into motion as a result of their carefully prepared diatribe, believe me when I tell you...absolutely nothing changes behind the scenes. A small Mom and Pop store with a tiny staff, maybe...but a big chain store, forget it.

·
Sharp Shooter!
420 Posts
PandM said:
A little sensitive today, eh Rob?

My last Dicks venture was to the one on 25, next to the Smithhaven mall and it was all love and light!
Salesman was attentive, helpful, decent to talk to and guess what - he got my dollars!
That's where I buy all my ammo

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bridge said:
That's where I buy all my ammo
you may want to consider some of the online retailers. save you a lot of cashola.

·
Sharp Shooter!
420 Posts
The Robfather said:
you may want to consider some of the online retailers. save you a lot of cashola.
Dick's is cheap, I only buy what's on sale. $24 for 4 boxes of Trap loads, $10 for 9mm, got a box of 225 each .40 reloads for (about) $ 50 a couple of weeks ago. Just have to pay attention.

Besides the online retailers would leave a "messy paper trail" that Mrs. Bridge could follow, that would not be good.

Mrs. Bridge is Queen of the blue team. After examining the online paper trail, Mrs. Bridge would organize her minions against me, wouldn't be a good time to be me. "Cash is King"

·
Lousy Shot
16,249 Posts
dv0042 said:
There's a reason for that. I worked retail for a number of years. The typical retail manager is making a dollar more per hour than the drone about whom you've called to complain, and he/she/it doesn't care about your problem either. The manager's function is not to think or solve problems, but rather to be a "complaint receptacle", and to enforce "company protocol". In other words, they are to recite the scripted apology to which you referred in an attempt to give the impression to the customer that someone actually gives a damn. Mostly it works. How many times has someone told you a swashbuckling story about how they "stood up to the man" and asked to speak to a manager? Despite the company wide overhaul that the storyteller is certain they've set into motion as a result of their carefully prepared diatribe, believe me when I tell you...absolutely nothing changes behind the scenes. A small Mom and Pop store with a tiny staff, maybe...but a big chain store, forget it.
Yup. Not to drift the thread, but two places I've recently noticed have remedied that condition are Stop & Shop and Home Depot. We can't believe how nice and helpful the people are in Stop & Shop (at least the one on Union Blvd. in West Islip). It's almost embarrassing. Not that they hover or smother you - it seems genuine. And we were so fed up with Home Depot, we only went to Lowes or the local family-owned Tru-Value. We went into a Home Depot about six months ago for the first time in about 5 years. Couldn't believe how they turned things around. I don't know when it happened but Lowes must have been smokin' 'em. Funny what a little competition will do.

Back on topic ... the only purchase I've ever made at the Melville Dick' was a Nikon scope that was on sale last month. I don't know if I was "helped" by the in-duh-vidual in question, but I do remember being aggravated.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
I was there a few weeks ago and I delt with a salesman who was very knowledgeable about trail cameras and I bought two items on his advice.I was at the register and the items purchased had rebates, but the cashier said I needed to go back to the lodge area to get the coupons to mail in with the reciept.Both salesman went and made copies which they ran out of.The one salesman apologized for the delay which is the old cranky guy.The other guy who is the avid hunter was like I had the week off to go bear hunting and this is my first day back and of course I find everything out of place.I believe it's how you ask and speak to them that gets their attention or was it my girlfriend that got me the friendly service.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
hunter won said:
I was there a few weeks ago and I delt with a salesman who was very knowledgeable about trail cameras and I bought two items on his advice.I was at the register and the items purchased had rebates, but the cashier said I needed to go back to the lodge area to get the coupons to mail in with the reciept.Both salesman went and made copies which they ran out of.The one salesman apologized for the delay which is the old cranky guy.The other guy who is the avid hunter was like I had the week off to go bear hunting and this is my first day back and of course I find everything out of place.I believe it's how you ask and speak to them that gets their attention or was it my girlfriend that got me the friendly service.
To me, this is just like "dealing" with the typical Long Island gun store mentality. The reality is they need to change, not us.

·
Banned
1,468 Posts
You wan't service than you have good places like SSS, Hunter Sports,T&T ,Campsite but not every one of these stores have a large inventory of hunting supplies and shop at the large department stores.I don't mind waiting if the stores busy everyone has good and bad days.

·
Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
everyone has a bad day.  everyone does silly things that in retrospect they wish they hadn't.  what caught me interesting about my buddy mo here is that he went out of his way to make a negative and disparaging comment to me as i filled out ncis paperwork in front of another customer that i was chatting guns with.  bottom line is that when i have the cash like richard gere says, "more sucking up".  his manager was a nice guy.  the chick who came over was nice.  the kid on the floor was nice.  mo?  grump needs a xanax.   8)  if the gun wasn't on sale and the rebate viable he wouldn't have seen me.  and trust me folks.  imho there is no ammo that is not cheaper elsewhere than dicks.  you just need to look a little harder.   ;)  

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.