Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone local to Volko or south nassau have one of the dewalt 18v rechargers that has a "recondition" cycle?

I have a battery that is pretty shot....want to try and save it before I buy a pair of new batteries.

I've seen the videos of guys "jumping" the old batteries. I may try that if I can't find a charger to borrow.

Thoughts?

-vick

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Unfortunately you are gonna have to buy new batteries, I have "jumped them" it works but very little while longer. With all my guys and the winters, I go thru batteries like nails very annoying to say the least. In many cases it's better to buy a new screw gun than it is to buy batteries.

Milwaukee is the only company whose tools and batteries are worth it anymore, I've don that expensive conversion 2 years ago and have not had an battery issue since.

·
Sharp Shooter!
3,914 Posts
Yep, you are peeing into the wind on this one. There are a couple of shorted cells in the pack, which causes the remaining good cells to be overcharged IE-"cooked" every time you throw it into the charger. You either have to "zap" the individual bad cells, or replace them. Then you have the choice of buying new batteries, which are of the XR variety, or buy a new drill set(as previously mentioned), which is often the same price OR sometimes cheaper, but it will only contain the cheaper/weaker NON "XR" type battery packs.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Unfortunately you are gonna have to buy new batteries, I have "jumped them" it works but very little while longer. With all my guys and the winters, I go thru batteries like nails very annoying to say the least. In many cases it's better to buy a new screw gun than it is to buy batteries.

Milwaukee is the only company whose tools and batteries are worth it anymore, I've don that expensive conversion 2 years ago and have not had an battery issue since.
Rigid tools have free battery replacement for life I believe. May be worth it if you are going through batteries that fast.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Sometimes you catch a sale on 2 packs of xr's but yeah once they are fried its over Johnny, a guy told me about getting them on the internet cheap they are knock offs have not tried it yet still have a good supply of them.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should upgrade to the Dewalt 20 volt max line. If anything ever happens to them they will take care of you.
Yeah, but these tools aren't really used every day. They're just used for small jobs around the shop and around my house.

I don't feel like replacing a screw gun, impact gun, sawzall, and grinder. Espeically as I still have three good batteries.

Thanks for the info guys, anyone have experience with the 18v Lithium batteries dewalt is now saying they have?

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
Lithium is absolutely, positively the way to go. Kudos here to Ryobi since their lithium batteries fit all my old "blue" tools so now I have- well, a lot of sets of tools.Most of the other manufacturers changed the tools so they aren't cross-compatible, Makita is the worst in this regard.

Reconditioning a Ni-Cad pack works a little, but it's far from great. I ran a dozen or so older batteries through my newer dual-chemistry charger and they charged, but it was more of a surface charge, they last about a third whjat they used to. However, those older tools with the newer Li-Po batteries are like, great.

·
Registered
592 Posts
John at Sunrise Tool West Islip.
I love the Dewalt Tools but the Batteries are not happy not used daily.
They only have so many charges in them then garbage.
no trickle charge like my old Makita.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Will is right, lithium ion.. I use screw guns on a daily basis and when used regularly, nicads are fine but the average homeowner with occasional use, they dont last and as stated, 2 new batteries cost about what a new unit with charger and batteries cost. Lithium ion although initial cost is more, don't have memory or go dead as early.. The only downside is they give no warning about dying, they go full power, then completely dead...always have a backup!

·
Banned
19,459 Posts
. The only downside is they give no warning about dying, they go full power, then completely dead...always have a backup!
That's the truth! If you buy the more expensive ones, many brands now have a built-in battery tester/charge indicator. Some of mine don't, but Ryobi also sells a $10 battery tester, I keep one clipped onto my cordless tools bag and then I can read all my batteries that don't have a built in indicator.

I also have one of the six position chargers for the house, this is good for keeping a bunch charged, but on a jobsite I use the regular charger because the 6 position is too bulky and only charges one at a time. Setting one up in your truck with an inverter, maybe mounted on the partition, would probably be an elegant solution.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.