Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pit bull mix attacks Long Island teen after being rescued from kill shelter, gets euthanized: 'There was blood everywhere'

A pit bull mix rescued from a Manhattan kill shelter attacked a teen girl within seconds of stepping foot in its new Long Island home Sunday and was later put down, officials and scarred family members said.

The 2-year-old dog named Alex was saved by animal lover Stephen Neira, of Patchogue, just 22 minutes before he was set to walk down "death row" at Animal Care Centers of New York City.

But the brown-and-white canine's happy homecoming turned bloody when it lunged at Neira's three young children, chomping down on his oldest daughter's face, throat and arm.

"They're absolutely traumatized," Neira's father Frank Neira told the Daily News. "They won't even sleep by themselves since it happened. There was blood everywhere - on their deck, inside the house."

The 16-year-old victim, Briana, needed between 60 and 80 stitches on her arm after she lifted it to shield her throat, her grandfather said. She also underwent plastic surgery on her mauled lip at Stony Brook University after getting 20 stitches.
News 12 Long Island
A 2-year-old pit bull mix was rescued from a Manhattan kill shelter and attacked a teen girl within seconds of stepping foot in its new home.

"People need to be way more aware about abusing dogs and how utterly disgusting it is bc then they hurt people and there just animals as well," she tweeted Monday. "I just want to go home and pretend this never happened."

Briana was in a lot of pain and still recovering at the hospital Tuesday and refuses to speak to family members about the incident, Frank Neira, 60, said.

She and her 12-year-old sister Madison and 10-year-old brother Jake were anxiously waiting to greet their new pet when he entered from the back door and immediately lunged, unprovoked.

"The three of them were standing together waiting to be introduced to the dog," their grandfather said.

"They were all looking forward to it. The second they opened the door, he jumped. They didn't even get a chance to meet him."

Briana Neira, 16, needed more than 100 stitches and underwent plastic surgery after the dog mauled her lip, throat and arm.

Stephen Neira, 40, sprang into action and tried subduing the dog with a chokehold, but the 43-pound animal never loosened his grip.

A neighbor who heard the commotion ran over to help. It took three tranquilizer darts from responding authorities to slow the dog down, the family said.

Alex was euthanized hours after the attack at the Brookhaven animal shelter after officials deemed the dog "violent," said Jack Krieger, spokesman for the town of Brookhaven.

"When people ask for dogs to be put down, they put it down," he said.

he dog had passed behavioral tests and was deemed "sociable," though he often pulled hard on his leashes, the shelter said on its website.

The behavior department feels that he can go to an average home," it wrote.

Animal Care Centers of New York City did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The horrifying ordeal has left the Neira family shaken and confused.

Stephen Neira, 40, said he rescued the dog in order to give it a second chance at life.

Stephen Neira, who was at his daughter's hospital bedside Tuesday, is "terrified by what could have happened," his dad said. He took in the dog to give it a second chance at life.

"What happened was bad enough, but what could have happened is even worse," Frank Neira said.

"What I can't figure out is how the people at the shelter could not pick up that this was not a suitable dog to be around kids. A dog that has been brutalized by a previous owner is not a dog that should be around a family. That's for sure."

"It's unfortunate and very upsetting," he added. "I'm just grateful that things weren't worse."
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pit-bull-attacks-ny-teen-rescued-shelter-article-1.2352340

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
Earlier this year the mother of a close friend was attacked by a pit owned by her son. Nearly lost her arm completely. The dog was known as a "killer" on that it had a history of hunting and killing birds and squirrels in the don's back yard.

·
Powderfinger
2,473 Posts
Sounds like a terrible misjudgement from the center. Especially knowing the dog had been brutalized by a previous owner according to the story . So many other dogs to adopt why risk this ? Not taking anything away from the new owner for his sincere gesture.

Reactions: llaara and Swstock

·
Registered
171 Posts
Statistics do not lie, they are killers and should be outlawed. Now I know there are some who has a pit that has angel wings and babysits their newborn, well you an idiot, sorry. They are killers and yet there is such a fake surprise expressed when this happens time after time.

They should be outlawed OR the owner should be made to be responsible for their killers actions... When it kills someone, they ride the lightning in its place

Flame on

Mark

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Horrible situation. Each dog is different, with his own personality and (in the case of rescue dogs) their own baggage. It can happen with any breed (but obviously some breeds have the size and strength to make it matter). Know what you're doing and take the proper precautions. It can happen with a dog you raised from a pup as well. You do the best you can but there are no guarantees (just like anything else).
No doubt the liberals will use this to again demonize not only this breed but all breeds with a similar sounding name.

·
Banned
11,831 Posts
Statistics do not lie, they are killers and should be outlawed. Now I know there are some who has a pit that has angel wings and babysits their newborn, well you an idiot, sorry. They are killers and yet there is such a fake surprise expressed when this happens time after time.

They should be outlawed OR the owner should be made to be responsible for their killers actions... When it kills someone, they ride the lightning in its place

Flame on

Mark
Have you ever owned a dog or had one as a friend through somebody else? Each dog has his own unique personality regardless of breed. Some of the most vicious dogs I ever met were too small to do any real damage.

·
Registered
11,590 Posts
Not necessarily the breed - I've seen a bunch of dogs with "issues" that couldn't be placed with families.

Had a shepherd mix that seemed to be a great dog - but - he had a switch in his head that flipped once in a while. He was adopted out and returned a couple times - then I saw it myself. something just changed and there was this possessed animal.
And another that would just silently run up and bite - he lived a happy life never leaving the house/yard -
The only dogs that have ever actually bitten me were a Dachshund and a Shih-tzu.... Those little mutts are just looney sometimes.

Reactions: llaara

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts

Flame on

Mark
We have two pits at my firehouse. The older one was rescued after being found chained to a fence, starved almost to death, and having been the trainer dog for pitbull fighting (pretty much the punching bag). The second was tied to a roll down gate next to the firehouse so that only his back paws could touch the ground, and barely at that. We have several events like the Christmas party, memorial masses, etc where there are literally dozens of kids and unfamiliar adults around, and these dogs are nothing but friendly, even with their history of being abused. The younger one trots around with 45 lb weights in his mouth from the gym and could easily slaughter everyone in a given room if he was so inclined, but he is intelligent enough to know that we took him in, take care of him, and are not the people who abused him.

Your comments are no different than libs saying all gun owners are evil. Are there a disproportionate number of pit attacks compared to other breeds, i do not know but would assume yes, as they are the primary breed that is trained to fight by gangs and skells. Instead of focusing the blame on the animal, you should realize it is the savages that breed them to fight that are the issue.

Edited for spelling error

·
Still a David Crockett kid
2,826 Posts

Flame on

Mark
Right on ! BAN ASSAULT DOGS they are only good for mauling people
But if you come for my Rottie I will TEAR your head off and thats a no crapper

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

Flame on

Mark
Never go full Wreckhog.

Nominated for "Idiotic Post of the Year".

·
Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
....The younger one trots around with 45 lb weights in his mouth from the gym and could easily slaughter everyone in a given room if he was so inclined, but he is intelligent enough to know that we took him in, take care of him, and are not the people who abused him. He knows you are his pack. It's really as simple as that. Ask Caser Milan

Your comments are no different than libs saying all gun owners are evil. Are there a disproportionate number of pit attacks compared to other breeds, i do not know but would assume yes, as they are the primary breed that is trained to fight by gangs and skells. Instead of focusing the blame on the animal, you should realize it is the savages that breed them to fight that are the issue.

Lots of good stuff here ^^^ Perfectly put.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Are there a disproportionate number of pit attacks compared to other breeds, i do not know but would assume yes, as they are the primary breed that is trained to fight by gangs and skells. Instead of focusing the blame on the animal, you should realize it is the savages that breed them to fight that are the issue.

Edited for spelling error
They may be a disproportionate number of Pit attacks, due to there being a disproportionate amount of Pits being bred, for the reasons you stated above.

Prayers and condolences to the Family who had this tragedy befall them. May their hearts never be hardened.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts

Flame on

Mark
Probably one of the most ignorant, and retarded posts I have ever seen on this forum.
"You an idiot" is all I have to say.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
buy a pitbull, go ahead. No one should tell you that you can't. But i'll never understand why anyone would possibly want to buy one. So volatile and they aren't even nice looking. only ******* idiots buy them.

It pisses me off that people actually breed these things.
Yea, my baby isn't "nice looking" lol.
At least I didn't buy her ( saved) so I'm not a *#%^ idiot as you so eloquently put it!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.