Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and didn't see this so hopefully it's not a dupe.

I'm sure all the hunters will flame me, but I'm so glad this guy got hosed for taking down a beautiful creature who did nothing to him.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/07/28/american-dentist-said-to-have-paid-55000-to-kill-cecil-lion/

Hunter who paid $55G to kill Cecil the lion ID'd as American dentist

Now Playing
Raw video: File footage of Cecil the lion

A Minnesota dentist has been identified as the person who reportedly paid $55,000 to kill Cecil, the iconic lion who lived in Hwange National Park in Zimbabwe, reports the Telegraph.

The identity of Walter Palmer, an American hunter who was included in a 2009 New York Times feature on big game hunting, was revealed by two independent sources, writes the paper. The Telegraph had also viewed a copy of Palmer's hunting permit. The 13-year-old lion, beloved by many who came to explore the park, was allegedly shot by Palmer with a bow and arrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Palmer is thought to have lured Cecil about a mile out of the park on the night of July 1, and the injured lion was discovered roughly 40 hours later by Palmer's hunting team, who had Cecil shot and killed. Cecil was ultimately beheaded and skinned. The hunters also removed his collar, which is against the park's rules.

Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris, reported his "mistake" to the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority the next day. Bronkhurst and the landowner, whose property borders the park, are under arrest and will appear in court August 6.

"Both the professional hunter and the land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt," Zimbabwe National Parks said in a statement.

Bronkhorst was apparently unaware of the lion's global fame.

"It was a magnificent, mature lion," he told the Telegraph. "We did not know it was well-known lion. I had a license for my client to shoot a lion with a bow and arrow in the area where it was shot."

This isn't the first time Palmer has found himself in trouble with wildlife authorities. In 2008, Palmer - who lives in Eden Prairie, Minnesota - pleaded guilty to making false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Court documents say he shot a bear outside an authorized zone in Wisconsin, then tried to pass it off as being killed elsewhere.

Palmer was given probation and fined nearly $3,000.

When asked about the current allegations surrounding Cecil's killing, Palmer told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that "some things are being misreported."

He added that he may have more to say at a later time.

Several attempts by The Associated Press to reach Palmer, including phone calls to and stopping by his home and dental office in the Minneapolis suburb of Bloomington, were unsuccessful Tuesday. Doug Kelley, a former U.S. attorney and Palmer's attorney in the Wisconsin bear case, was unavailable for immediate comment Tuesday morning, according to his assistant.

Palmer has several hunts on record with the Pope and Young Club, where archers register big game taken in North America for posterity, according to the club's director of records, Glenn Hisey.

Hisey said he didn't have immediate access to records showing the types and number of animals killed by Palmer during hunts, but noted that any club records involve legal hunts "taken under our rules of fair chase." African game wouldn't be eligible.

Hisey, who said he doesn't have a personal rapport with Palme, said he alerted the group's board that Palmer's ethics were being called into question and his domestic records could be jeopardized if he's found to have done something illegal abroad.

A Facebook page for Palmer's Minnesota dental practice was taken offline Tuesday after users flooded it with comments condemning Palmer's involvement in the hunt. Hundreds of similar comments inundated a page for his dental practice on review platform Yelp, which prior to Tuesday had only three comments.

A state database of Minnesota dentist licensure lists the status of Palmer's registration as active, but "not practicing in state."

The famed lion leaves behind a pride, including cubs, which are now in danger of being killed by other adult lions.

"It's a tragedy that we are taking something that belongs to future generations and shooting these animals just because somebody is on an ego trip and they can afford it," Johnny Rodrigues, Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force chairman, told Mashable. "How do you bait an animal out of its habitat to kill it and consider it legal?"

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

· Just zis guy, you know?
2,442 Posts
"Both the professional hunter and the land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt," Zimbabwe National Parks said in a statement.
This wasn't a hunt, and they're not hunters. They're poachers, end of story. A "professional" should know a hell of a lot better. I'll reserve judgement on the dentist for now, he may have had no idea of the questionable ethics of the poachers.

· Premium Member
7,783 Posts
They should hunt him.....

Attachments

· Grand Poobah
21,090 Posts
I have no problem with hunting if the goal is to consume the meat. Trophy hunting, however, is a deliberate waste of an animal's life... and I have a problem with it.
Too bad.
I don't like assault rifles.
I don't think anyone "needs" more than 7 rounds. No one "needs" an AR.
All guns should be registered.
All people who want to own a firearm should have to be trained , should have to allow inspections unannounced in their homes and should have to pay a $43,000 licensing fee.

· dislike Cuomo!
4,951 Posts
Agree with all comments above. The ethics and dynamic of hunting exotic game are also much different. From what I understand, lion hunters are supposed to kill rogue lions that do not belong to a pride--and even that can affect such a small, fragile system . But to hunt one that belongs to a pride is nearly guaranteeing the death of every cub that belonged to that pride. The lion that comes in to claim the lioness will literally murder all the children. These rare animals have it hard enough out there without humans interfering.

This guy = total douche

· Premium Member
7,783 Posts
I agree.. but do we really have all the facts to make a judgement? hehehe.
Very good. You didn't have to wait long to throw that back at me.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.