Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I posted in another thread I recently installed a front/rear Dashcam system in my truck. This was after an incident where I received a ticket on Broadway for allegedly making a left turn on a red signal which was really a green left arrow.

This morning I drove in the city and took the lower level of the Queensboro Bridge. At the bottom of the bridge coming into Second Avenue, the light turned red but the brownie motioned me and a couple of cars through.

Pulled over immediately by a waiting sector car. The officers walked up, I said "why did you stop me"

Female officer: "You went through a red light."

Me: "Traffic agent waved us through"

Male officer: "No he didn't"

Me: "Well, I have a dashcam. Do you want to see?"

Male officer, sounding curious: "Yes I do"

Took about 2 minutes but punched up the video on my iPhone via camera wifi. Showed the male cop, clear as day, the traffic agent waving me through the red light.

Male officer actually said "I'm sorry, we didn't see that. Have a nice day" and let me go.

Ka-ching. Camera has now paid for itself.

If you haven't got one yet, you need to.

·
The Sysop
35,824 Posts
Love my dash cam!! Nice to see it worked it your favor.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the Blackvue DR650-GW. It is a pricier model but is front/rear, has full GPS/speed/Wifi. I also paid a professional to install it which was money well spent.

It is set up to record while driving and for 12 hours after I park so I have some coverage for street happenings.

http://www.amazon.com/BlackVue-Chan...qid=1438358604&sr=1-2&keywords=dashcam+dvr650

There are cheaper options if you want to save some money.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Male officer actually said "I'm sorry, we didn't see that. Have a nice day" and let me go.

Ka-ching. Camera has now paid for itself.

If you haven't got one yet, you need to.
Yep! Between the cost of the ticket, you taking time to fight it in court, the potential cost of increased insurance rates for years to come, and maybe the cost/time of taking another defensive driving course to remove points, you just saved up at least the cost of your camera (and your cost more than double mine), AND your NEXT CAMERA.

My reasoning when I decided to buy a dash can was this:
If I need to replace my camera every 1-2 years, even if the first 6 or 8 die (assuming that the price will get even lower over the next decade), all I need is for the 9th one to save me the cost of an insurance deductible, and they've all been paid for. Looking at it that way, I don't feel bad at all that it hasn't saved me a dime yet. The potential for avoiding tickets wasn't even necessary in my rationale, but it sure is yummy gravy.

Thanks for a feel-good Friday thread for once!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Me? I have a Mini-0806 with a 32GB SHXC card wired into a hidden lighter socket in my Wrangler.
In my wife's Subaru, I used a hard-wiring kit on her Mini-0806 with two 64GB cards to get 24 hour recording, so I have HD video of the street in front of my house (at least while she's parked) to supplement my DVR system.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I bought the Blackvue DR650-GW. It is a pricier model but is front/rear, has full GPS/speed/Wifi. I also paid a professional to install it which was money well spent.

It is set up to record while driving and for 12 hours after I park so I have some coverage for street happenings.

http://www.amazon.co...=dashcam dvr650

There are cheaper options if you want to save some money.
Who did you go to for installation and what was cost? Was it a clean install?

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Those are easy installs. Tuck the wires in the pillar and call it a day.

Have it in all 3 of my cars
You located a constant hot that was fused and did you locate a wiring diagram for the vehicle on line? I would probably look to take the pillars off and run behind the dash board and use a tap with fuse to insure no issues down the road. Cleaner.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
You located a constant hot that was fused and did you locate a wiring diagram for the vehicle on line? I would probably look to take the pillars off and run behind the dash board and use a tap with fuse to insure no issues down the road. Cleaner.
Easy to find the power.

Though taking off the pillars might expose the air bags. Dont want to mess with that.

I tuck the wires in. Still the same without breaking anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.