Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
8,422 Posts
To begin with, I have no intention of allowing my current Suffolk County issued "Sportsman" license to be turned into a "Premises" license. With that said, I am asking anyone out there that has, or is currently in the process of amending their "Sportsman" license into a "Carry" license, what they had to do. Yes, I understand that the SCOTUS decision technically did this; but I do not want a confrontation in the event that this were challenged by law enforcement. I just want to get it done.

To begin with, I have signed up for the 18 hour class for this coming January.

I understand that I need to submit a letter to the PLB. Is this just a simple one sentence letter stating that I want to amend my license from "Sportsman" to "Carry"?

Does the letter need to be notarized?

Are there any other forms that I need to fill out - either in advance or while I am their submitting the letter?

Can this be done through the mail, or should I do it in person?

Do I need to submit the usual $5.00 check for an amendment?

Should I submit the request now, or should I just wait until I complete the course?

Approximately how long does the whole process take?

Is there anything else that I need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help.
As mentioned above you don't need a letter, just complete the amendment form provided by Pistol Licensing.

When you applied for your license did you apply for a concealed carry license? What is the first letter in your license number

Check with those giving the course if they are DCJS certified. NRA certification is in the process of being disqualified for this instruction if this legislation being proposed passes. If it happens before you take your course and the instructors are not DCJS certified the training may not count.

· Registered
321 Posts
To be frank, I'm getting more and more interested in legally fighting SCPD PLB's opinion/actions that they can simply decide that Sportsman licenses are now modified Premise licenses. Sportsman licenses (at least mine) were applied for, and approved as, concealed carry licenses with restrictions. This is a hard fact, there is no gray area. I have copies of their own documents, completed by SCPD PLB themselves, that indisputably show my license was applied for, and issued as, a concealed carry license with restrictions, and in no way, shape, or form, as a premise license of any type.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
I am amazed that SCPD would so graciously allow the Dwelling to take their pistols to the range, when the existing law says they do not have to. I wonder if Nassau is in that same boat.
Just for clarification purposes: I am not amazed at being allowed to take your pistol to a range. I am amazed at being able to your pistol LOADED AND CONCEALED ON YOUR PERSON to the range.

· Registered
595 Posts
As mentioned above you don't need a letter, just complete the amendment form provided by Pistol Licensing.

When you applied for your license did you apply for a concealed carry license? What is the first letter in your license number

Check with those giving the course if they are DCJS certified. NRA certification is in the process of being disqualified for this instruction if this legislation being proposed passes. If it happens before you take your course and the instructors are not DCJS certified the training may not count.

My license number begins with a "C".

And I got this response back from Guardian Security yesterday -

"Thank you for your question, I can assure you that all our instructors are DCJS certified and meet or exceed all requirements to teach the NYS 16-hour CCW Class. Any future legislation will have no impact on any of our courses. Please feel free to call me with any further questions or concerns."

· Registered
595 Posts
To be frank, I'm getting more and more interested in legally fighting SCPD PLB's opinion/actions that they can simply decide that Sportsman licenses are now modified Premise licenses. Sportsman licenses (at least mine) were applied for, and approved as, concealed carry licenses with restrictions. This is a hard fact, there is no gray area. I have copies of their own documents, completed by SCPD PLB themselves, that indisputably show my license was applied for, and issued as, a concealed carry license with restrictions, and in no way, shape, or form, as a premise license of any type.
To play devil's advocate -

The process you have described above probably benefits a large percentage of people that we affectionally refer to as "Fudds" - the folks that just want to own their pistol and nothing more. This gives them the option to do absolutely nothing with regard to keeping their guns at home.

I was chatting with a friend from the old neighborhood the other day. He happens to be full tilt lefty. While we were discussing democrat gun control laws he happened to mention he owns a licensed 10mm. I was, like, and you seriously support democrats and these laws? He was like, yea, and I don't mind doing whatever they want me to do. He has no concerns with regard to losing his gun. And I went as far as saying, what if Albany decides that a 10mm is too big for you to own? He immediately replied that I'll just get a smaller gun.

I would imagine that there are plenty of folks like him that don't care if their already watered down license gets even more watered down. So there is likely a good size group of people that will be content with what SCPDPLB is dishing out.

And I do agree - there is no way that SCPDPLB can add limited carry to a premises license. It is simply not accommodated for in the current law.

· Registered
595 Posts
You need to fill out the amendment app itself, and pay $5 check or money order. The amend app is available at PLB. I did this in july. There was no letter involved.
You need to complete the 18 hr course. I did this on 10/8 then delivered my cert to PLB on 10/12. PLB said they must have the cert, in hand, to get into the investigators que.
I was called 11/22 by investigator, and made appointment for 11/28. I did in fact, turn in my sportsman, and received a carry.
Thank you for the feedback. So it sounds as though there is no advantage to submitting the amendment until I have the course completion certificate in hand since it sounds as though the amendment will just sit until the course completion certificate is added to the amendment.

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thank you for the feedback. So it sounds as though there is no advantage to submitting the amendment until I have the course completion certificate in hand since it sounds as though the amendment will just sit until the course completion certificate is added to the amendment.
im not sure about that. At that time, supposedly, the amendment was establishing ”the list” . I am not sure if turning in the cert qualified you to proceed in the process of that established batting order, or if they completely changed over to recreating the list order by certificate submittance. But they had made it clear, that they had to have the cert, to get an interview.

in other words, if you turn in app and cert, at same time, you go to the end of the list, or if submitting app, asap, is acting like a place holder….

· Registered
785 Posts
I completed 2hr qualify this morning. Dropped of certificate to SCPD 11am no line. They gave me amendment app to sign. I paid $5 with a check. They ask for my license and reprinted it. For a moment I was like oh crap I'm getting it now. The officer told me we will call you in 2 months. I felt its kind of ridiculous after all I have been through and still need to wait.

· Registered
266 Posts
I completed 2hr qualify this morning. Dropped of certificate to SCPD 11am no line. They gave me amendment app to sign. I paid $5 with a check. They ask for my license and reprinted it. For a moment I was like oh crap I'm getting it now. The officer told me we will call you in 2 months. I felt its kind of ridiculous after all I have been through and still need to wait.
it gose by quick

· Registered
1,165 Posts
If they already reprinted it, why do you need to wait 2 months?
Of course there's no reason. Just another deliberate slow walk towards the inevitable and it's done on purpose. This comes from the top down. It's not a paperwork issue. And can they mail it to you? Of course not....you have to schlep out there again.

· Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
SCPD PLB vs York County Sheriff ( PA).

Back in February, I applied for a PA LTC, online, to York County Sheriff’s office.
They denied my application, because I only had a Sportsman, at the time, and I got a pretty nice letter, from them, explaining that. They even went so far as to return app fee, even though the app claims “no refunds”. The ended the letter with, if your Sportsman becomes a Carry, please feel free to reapply.
I received my NYS Carry, this past Monday. Tuesday night, I reapplied, online, and included that letter, in my uploads.
Sheriff called me today, congratulated me on getting my NYS carry, and said come on down, and pick up my PA LTC.
I was impressed with how fast I received FLA and Virginia non res permits, in the past…. But PA blew them both out of the water.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
SCPD PLB vs York County Sheriff ( PA).

Back in February, I applied for a PA LTC, online, to York County Sheriff’s office.
They denied my application, because I only had a Sportsman, at the time, and I got a pretty nice letter, from them, explaining that. They even went so far as to return app fee, even though the app claims “no refunds”. The ended the letter with, if your Sportsman becomes a Carry, please feel free to reapply.
I received my NYS Carry, this past Monday. Tuesday night, I reapplied, online, and included that letter, in my uploads.
Sheriff called me today, congratulated me on getting my NYS carry, and said come on down, and pick up my PA LTC.
I was impressed with how fast I received FLA and Virginia non res permits, in the past…. But PA blew them both out of the water.
Congratulations. I like that Wayne County is an hour closer and on my way upstate, but I've always wanted to see Amish Country and King of Prussia for some time.

· Registered
6,586 Posts
I said prior to the “win” with the Bruen case, that if it is a win, it will actually translate to a loss for us, that they would make us all reapply for CCW and reclassify our licenses as premise, and people, some on this site, called me crazy, but it seems that is exactly what is happening. A big waste of fucking time, for a pistol license that means nothing, the same takes 15 minutes to get in PA, NH, VT, etc. my bro got his CCW in 2 days in TN, and 2 years in this god forsaken stink hole for the right just to buy a pistol and look at it in your safe. Fuck this place, gonna try my best to get the hell outta here, but the wifey does not want to leave.

· Registered
8,422 Posts
I said prior to the “win” with the Bruen case, that if it is a win, it will actually translate to a loss for us, that they would make us all reapply for CCW and reclassify our licenses as premise, and people, some on this site, called me crazy, but it seems that is exactly what is happening. A big waste of fucking time, for a pistol license that means nothing, the same takes 15 minutes to get in PA, NH, VT, etc. my bro got his CCW in 2 days in TN, and 2 years in this god forsaken stink hole for the right just to buy a pistol and look at it in your safe. Fuck this place, gonna try my best to get the hell outta here, but the wifey does not want to leave.
The Bruen case was a big WIN for us. The counties are now issuing full carry to those that prior to the ruling could not get them. Even with the sensitive place restrictions, restrictions that will be struck down, that is a win. This isn't a sprint it's a marathon. The highest court has spoken to acknowledge our right to carry outside the home. New York will be forced to comply. PA will be issuing CCW's in PA to New Yorkers that couldn't get them prior.

The Bruen decision has changed the 2A landscape not only in NY but thought the country. Don't get distracted by the governor's tantrum. She threw a lot of crap against the wall, very little of it will stick over the long haul.

· Registered
321 Posts
The Bruen case was a big WIN for us. The counties are now issuing full carry to those that prior to the ruling could not get them. Even with the sensitive place restrictions, restrictions that will be struck down, that is a win. This isn't a sprint it's a marathon. The highest court has spoken to acknowledge our right to carry outside the home. New York will be forced to comply. PA will be issuing CCW's in PA to New Yorkers that couldn't get them prior.

The Bruen decision has changed the 2A landscape not only in NY but thought the country. Don't get distracted by the governor's tantrum. She threw a lot of crap against the wall, very little of it will stick over the long haul.
Paul, I hope you are right. I wholeheartedly agree that you should be right.
Unfortunately, I am becoming more and more convinced that way more of that crap is going to stick to that wall.
I'm losing a lot of my optimism. That optimism is being replaced by more and more frustration and disbelief that our state government, and our courts, can be so very obtuse, slow, illogical, and downright unjust. Seems they focus on ways to confuse the issues rather than clarify them.
I never thought I would find myself in times where I am losing so much faith in parts of our system of government.

· Registered
8,422 Posts
Paul, I hope you are right. I wholeheartedly agree that you should be right.
Unfortunately, I am becoming more and more convinced that way more of that crap is going to stick to that wall.
I'm losing a lot of my optimism. That optimism is being replaced by more and more frustration and disbelief that our state government, and our courts, can be so very obtuse, slow, illogical, and downright unjust. Seems they focus on ways to confuse the issues rather than clarify them.
I never thought I would find myself in times where I am losing so much faith in parts of our system of government.
Keep in mind this is about turning around 100+ years of infringement on our constitutional rights. Carry licenses are being issued. The unjust provisions of S51001 are being challenged and I'm confident most of them are going to be struck down. We're making headway, not as quick as we'd like but progress is being made.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts