Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, day 58 my CT. permit has arrived. I'm posting this as I have read some misinformation posted on this site, with regards to having a NY license first. Before applying to CT. As long as you have another state permit or license, and their training requirement, you're go to go. ;) Now I need NY to stop stalling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Finally, day 58 my CT. permit has arrived. I'm posting this as I have read some misinformation posted on this site, with regards to having a NY license first. Before applying to CT. As long as you have another state permit or license, and their training requirement, you're go to go. ;) Now I need NY to stop stalling.

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Congrats!

Did you have to take a CT specific class first? Or did Utah or similar certification qualify?

Also - the license unfortunately doesn't do you a lick of good because you cannot legally own nor purchase any carry-able guns in NY in order for you to be able to take them into CT anyway... :(

·
Anti-Statist
5,359 Posts
Congrats!

Did you have to take a CT specific class first? Or did Utah or similar certification qualify?

Also - the license unfortunately doesn't do you a lick of good because you cannot legally own nor purchase any carry-able guns in NY in order for you to be able to take them into CT anyway... :(

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
They do.  Even with an Honorable discharge from the Armed Forces, they still want to see the NRA class.  I got my CT license last year, was actually pretty straight forward.  And they were helpful to boot.  I had forgotten something in my app, they were kind enough to hold my app while I sent in the missing item.  Had it back in 60 days.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
They do.  Even with an Honorable discharge from the Armed Forces, they still want to see the NRA class.  I got my CT license last year, was actually pretty straight forward.  And they were helpful to boot.  I had forgotten something in my app, they were kind enough to hold my app while I sent in the missing item.  Had it back in 60 days.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:
Pretty sure CT requires the nra basic pistol class for training.
They do. They are leary about accepting even law enforcement training.
I had my CT license well before HR218 was even a dream. I submitted my retired LE credentials and my certification by NYS Municipal Police Training Council and they still wanted the NRA Basic pistol course.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
FULL METAL JACKET said:
Pretty sure CT requires the nra basic pistol class for training.
I had my CT license well before HR218 was even a dream. I submitted my retired LE credentials and my certification by NYS Municipal Police Training Council and they still wanted the NRA Basic pistol course.

·
Banned
594 Posts
SteveG said:
No problem if you were a Police Officer, they do require the NRA Basic Pistol for Peace officers.

·
Banned
594 Posts
SteveG said:
No problem if you were a Police Officer, they do require the NRA Basic Pistol for Peace officers.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Zyka said:
Yes it was at that time. Police or Peace it didn't matter.
If it changed now then it is as a result of HR218 because 15 years ago they wanted the NRA course no matter what.

·
Premium Member
5,947 Posts
Zyka said:
Yes it was at that time. Police or Peace it didn't matter.
If it changed now then it is as a result of HR218 because 15 years ago they wanted the NRA course no matter what.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Basic Pistol? When I applied for my CT CCW, it had to be at least 10hrs of training. I had taken the Personal Protection Outside of the Home course, which lasted 2 days and qualified. But they did say that the one day Basic Pistol wasn't enough.

Some municipalities require the Basic Pistol because the standards for Law Enforcement can vary from State to State or even municipality to municipality. The NRA courses are what they are throughout America and that is why they insist on it. It's a lot easier to use a "standard model" course then it would be to research each and every States' LEO requirements. It would probably make sense to accept LEO training for at least the contiguous States of Connecticut, because those are the most likely LEO's to apply for their license. But their law probably doesn't allow for that.

Connecticut was really nice to deal with and if you have to put a few ducks in a row for them to issue the LTC, what the heck, right?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Basic Pistol? When I applied for my CT CCW, it had to be at least 10hrs of training. I had taken the Personal Protection Outside of the Home course, which lasted 2 days and qualified. But they did say that the one day Basic Pistol wasn't enough.

Some municipalities require the Basic Pistol because the standards for Law Enforcement can vary from State to State or even municipality to municipality. The NRA courses are what they are throughout America and that is why they insist on it. It's a lot easier to use a "standard model" course then it would be to research each and every States' LEO requirements. It would probably make sense to accept LEO training for at least the contiguous States of Connecticut, because those are the most likely LEO's to apply for their license. But their law probably doesn't allow for that.

Connecticut was really nice to deal with and if you have to put a few ducks in a row for them to issue the LTC, what the heck, right?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.