Long Island Shooters Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I hunted archery from the 80's. I know many bow hunters are against the use of Crossbow. I didn't buy a Crossbow until recently. I would hear stories about deer ducking out of the way because Crossbows were so loud. The newer Crossbow models go over 350 FPS and are much quieter.
Pennsylvania allows Crossbow throughout the entire archery season.

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I knew that. Have been reading your posts for years. Most of the bowhunters simply feel its far too easy to harvest with a crossbow compared to using a bow, even a compound bow which requires practice, unlike a rifle-like crossbow. They feel either have a separate crossbow season or like some states, have it be the same as blackpowder /muzzle loaders and not during bow season.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
His Crossbow "kicks like a bitch"...a line used in last seasons TWD.
And THAT is why we have the crossbow fad now.........

Morning news had a DEC arrest on Staten Island, a hunter with a crossbow.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
And THAT is why we have the crossbow fad now.........

Morning news had a DEC arrest on Staten Island, a hunter with a crossbow.
I watch TWD but owned a Colt Python before the show started. I know a non gun guy buy a Colt Python because of the show.
The show didn't influence me in purchasing a Crossbow.
Crossbow hunter...sounds more like a poacher.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Took a nice doe on Sunday afternoon hunt .
Congratulations, you still can hunt archery if you have a bow tag. The rut was on November 1, doe getting chased around the field.
The Crossbow has lots of power. My shot was broadside about 25 yards. Deer ran 30 yards dead.
Never found arrow, my back stop was the mountain

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd never owned or shot a crossbow until last weekend, and it's now ready for hunting. If you buy broadheads and a target, it'll cost you less than $500.
A muzzleloader tag is all you need. Around Halloween week is the finest time to be in the woods looking for a buck.
The Barnett Quad S model is available at Dick's or Cabela's.
I'm curious if you can use the buck tag on a legal buck during crossbow season or if you have to use the carcus tag from the black powder season.

·
Registered
11,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'd never owned or shot a crossbow until last weekend, and it's now ready for hunting. If you buy broadheads and a target, it'll cost you less than $500.
A muzzleloader tag is all you need. Around Halloween week is the finest time to be in the woods looking for a buck.
The Barnett Quad S model is available at Dick's or Cabela's.
I'm curious if you can use the buck tag on a legal buck during crossbow season or if you have to use the carcus tag from the black powder season.
A Crossbow under the ECL is considered a Muzzleloader Tag, once a legal deer is harvested using the Crossbow. You fill out the Muzzleloader portion and must notify DEC in 7 days of the harvest.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts