Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
moved to greener pastures
10,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can hear McFly crying.

After police in a small town lost their personal guns in an epic natural disaster, Glock donated new ones, which the state auditor now wants turned in a decade later.

Waveland, Mississippi, located near the Louisiana line, was "ground zero" of Hurricane Katrina's 2005 landfall when 26 feet of seawater slammed into the coastal community, killing an estimated 50 residents. The town's small police force, forced from their building by rising water, lost all of their vehicles and equipment.

Following the storm, firearms industry powerhouse Glock, hearing that the officers- who carried their own guns, not weapons provided from the city- had theirs effectively destroyed, donated 29 new Glock Model 22 .40 caliber handguns to the force.

Now ten years later the state auditor's office wants the guns returned to the city by the individual officers or they will be listed as stolen.

"When Katrina hit, they hung onto a bush for eight hours in front of the police station just to save their own lives. In the process, they lost all of their weapons that they had," explained Waveland Mayor Mike Smith to WLOX.

State officials contend the weapons should have become city property when they were donated, even though they replaced personal firearms, and now wants them all accounted for or the officers who signed for them have to pay the city $400 for each gun.

"Out of those 29 guns, there are only a handful of people that still works there. The rest of them are working somewhere else. Being able to retrieve those guns is very difficult, and if the guns are not returned and if the money is not paid, then those guns will be listed on NCIC as missing weapons or stolen," according to Smith.

Smith advised that he, the Waveland Police chief, and the state auditor are working on a solution.

This article has been updated to point out the unit shown in the image is of the Pass Christian Police and that Waveland PD did not exit the city library during the Hurricane.

http://www.guns.com/2015/08/06/hurricane-katrina-cops-being-forced-to-return-donated-glocks/

·
Registered
527 Posts
Many PD's give the duty guns to POs when they retire, yes? On the other hand, IF Glock did donate to the department, and took the tax write off, and they were department property, it goes back to what is department practice. Either Glock gave them to the POs or they gave them to the Department - there should be SOME documentation......

Attachments

·
Putin, the new Ceasar. Veni,Vidi, Vici!
21,922 Posts
So let me get this straight:

1) The officers carried personally owned guns while performing their duties.

2) The city did not compensate the officers for the guns lost while on duty.

3) When the guns were lost in the storm Glock donated new guns so the officers could do their duty.

4) Now the city wants to be compensated for the guns that they didn't buy.

Conclusion: The city is run by Liberals.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The documents [see previous post] signed by the officers seem to me to state that they are replacements for the officers' personal weapons, and are explicitly to be controlled by the OFFICERS; per this contract they are prevented from giving those firearms to the city or the state, they are required to keep them. Too bad for the tax man.........

·
III%
2,777 Posts
I can't believe im the only one that couldn't care less about the guns they have, I immediately started thinking "Metal Detector" and "Plane Ticket"!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.