Long Island Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah. Now there's an answer that is even better. I know the one I'm looking at is most likely a NYPD gun. I've read that the trigger is that smooth. I'll have to try it out when I'm at the shop next.

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
They are basically the same gun, you'd need the internals and hammer from a 5906. I have to ask why you'd want to, I have a 5946 and never considered anything but lightening the trigger.
Agreed. I love my 5946. All you have to change is the hammer/main spring. Very easy to do. Don't bother with any others.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
S&W s metal framed guns, the 4 digit series, are strong Butt guns. Steel and aluminium frame 59 series are overbuilt and can take alot of rounds. When new or fairly new (with a low or moderate round count) the triggers will smooth out with a bit of ammo therapy !

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
5906 Actually has a steel frame too. I gotta tell ya, the trigger is smooth on the 5906 but what I think really sets it apart is the reset. It is the shortest most crisp reset I have ever felt. I picked up one used on here for a great price. Im actually getting rid of my HK P2000sk cause I like the 5906 so much.

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
Agreed. I love my 5946. All you have to change is the hammer/main spring. Very easy to do. Don't bother with any others.
I changed mine, S&W sent me the factory spring free, Then I added Hogue grips and finally like the pistol..lol

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
I added the Hogue grip also, but it is so damn fat, I have some trouble hitting the mag release during matches. Great grip for range/plinking use. Very grippy and comfortable. But unless you have fingers like Chris Rock, it may not work for you.

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
I have large hands, Grips work great fot me, I hated the plastic grips as they were slippery when wet from rain and or sweat.... I would actually put some rubber bands on them..improvise, adapt and overcome...lol

·
Uh-oh...
12,524 Posts
I have large hands, Grips work great fot me, I hated the plastic grips as they were slippery when wet from rain and or sweat.... I would actually put some rubber bands on them..improvise, adapt and overcome...lol
My hands ain't exactly tiny, but there is probably a reason you chose the name Mongo.

But I agree, the factory plastic grip leaves much to be desired.

·
INFIDEL
7,262 Posts
You can't tell me I'm the only person that noticed his freakishly long fingers.

My hands ain't exactly tiny, but there is probably a reason you chose the name Mongo.
Lesson learned a long time ago, Never let your co-workers know what name they call you really bothers you ...lol

Reactions: vmtcmt

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Post your question on the S&W forum...those guys know everything there is to know about Smiths.

Here's the website:

http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Just pick the right forum, I'd suggest the S&W Semi-Automatic Pistons one.

(I sold my 5906, it was just too big for my hands. Kept the model 59 'cause it's cool but stayed with all my 39 single stack models, which are a complete dream to shoot.)

Reactions: slowryder

·
Registered
71 Posts
Again not revive the old thread I was just thinking about the same thing I have a 5946 that was my allowed to have from work and yes it was DAO so now that I don't carry it much any more since retirement I was thinking along the same lines for a range and possibly a IDPA match or two to use it. Thanks for all the info I guess it's not worth the money to do the switch.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.